Home

What is with the drop rate?

This is a discussion on What is with the drop rate? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What is with the drop rate?

Just adding what I've seen so far...

I play on custom sliders, that are pretty much between All-Pro and All-Madden, a bit more towards the All-Madden side of things. I'm now 9-3 with the Browns, and have had MANY drives stall because of a wide open drop. One game in particular, my receivers had TEN DROPS in one game. I mean, statistically. Brian Robiskie alone had 4 drops in that game.

As you can see from the record above, I'm 12 games in. Braylon Edwards (and I know he led the league in drops last year, so I expected a high number, but...) has 17 drops in 12 games to lead the league. Robiskie has 13.

As far as only completing short passes, I feel that pain as well. Really the only time I get any long pass plays are when I complete a pass anywhere from 3-7 yards deep, and they happen to break a tackle or manage to get a block. I MAY have had 2 or 3 deep passes work so far, and one of those actually bounced off the defender's hands and into Masseqoui's.

Not complaining, though. I know I shouldn't be 9-3 with a team like the Browns, but my stats are pretty realistic overall (outside of the tackles issue, and small yardage totals for the WRs), and every game I've had has been close and challenging. The only ones that weren't close were me getting blown out by the Ravens, and the Vikings riding an unbelievable 25 point 4th quarter to a 38-28 win. Pretty happy overall thus far.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

I drop over 5 balls a game, most of these never coming from a hit from the defender. The most dropped balls are on slants when the balls just go through my receives hands. These usually end up bouncing up and getting picked off. I have balls that hit my receiver in the face and they don't even attempt to catch it. Also, what is with the computer breaking tackles and hurdling like they are playing a high school team?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
Am I missing some control knowledge or is the drop rate extremely high? While I'm all for the realism of players occasionally dropping the ball when they get hit, these are supposed to be representations of professional athletes. There is no reason a wr like Hines ward should drop a pass because of an arm tackle from a db. To see what I mean, go into the madden test and test your pass o. Your players drop probably 30% or more on contact.

What am I doing wrong?

Ps this years madden is a great game, but the above, along with the fact receivers refuse to fight for the ball or try to break up ints keep it from being perfect IMO.

I see lots of drops by MY WR when the CPU controls them, but not when the CPU controls their WR.

My WR drops the ball almost always when getting hit as the ball gets there. The CPU WR catches it almost always when my defenders hit the WR as the ball is there.

Once, Clayton (the Raven's one) dropped 8 passes in a half. HALF.

I have refused to use him from that game on.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutwolf
To see what I mean, go into the madden test and test your pass o. Your players drop probably 30% or more on contact.
if you're only referring to the test, then I know what you mean. I was doing those for fun the other night and you had to hit the virtual WR wide open becuase the virtual defender would strip the ball with any contact. however, this is not a problem for me in game on All-Pro difficulty with default sliders.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

i think the drops is a product of poor game design. EA still does not get the fact that QBs in the NFL can be inaccurate at times, even when he has protection and the receiver is wide open. in Madden, the QB is most of the time accurate given the same conditions. in order to have a realistic passing game of completions, the game resorts to dropped passes. the flipside to this dynamic in Madden is when the QB throws a crappy pass and the receiver magically phases through the defender and "warps" to the ball. in this case, its crappy setup, but a "perfect" result through crappy game design. that's why it seems that some plays appear predetermined.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9

like an earlier poster the only problem i have is the player not catching the ball with a lead on the DB no hit just ball goes through the WR hands.

Question: what button makes the WR get down before being hit? There used to be a button for it.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 4
Post Re: What is with the drop rate?

I thought this tread was going to be about da online pullers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »