Home

Pass timing and man coverage

This is a discussion on Pass timing and man coverage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Pass timing and man coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Co-sign, Co-sign, Co-sign.

They have got to take a long hard look at this for 2011. They really need to take a look at a few things for a patch in this game.
Agreed w/all of you all's points. I think it really needs to be fixed on a basic level. If you go into replay and watch a DB play deep zone coverage, he's backing up [skating] faster than a receiver can run forwards. Man coverage still seems to be too elementary. Players don't need to adhere to using something resembling real-life footwork, taking shorter/choppier steps when trying to accelerate and gradually extending to longer strides. Until they fix it, all they're doing is covering up or hiding the problem in different ways. I've turned the player speed slider to zero and there still isn't enough differentiation between fast/slow players (imo). They've done a fairly good job w/being able to place passes though. The DB/WR interaction issue is still a headache

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph
I don't have the game yet.
Does tweaking Pass Defense reaction slider help with defenders running routes before the WR ?
i was on my way to make a post about this.
it does help a great deal. i have my cpu pass defense reaction slider turned to zero as well as the player min.speed threshold slider in game options. these two sliders turned to zero just about eliminate this problem.
they actually help the game play in other areas as well, but the largest benefit is in pass coverage and route running.

the game plays much more realistic in those regards. the AI reacts more realistically to the play, they only jump routes that they are in position to jump, they only deflect passes that they are in position to deflect. i have not seen any strange animations since i change these sliders to zero....give it a shot.

Last edited by mr_president; 08-14-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
If you go into replay and watch a DB play deep zone coverage, he's backing up [skating] faster than a receiver can run forwards. Man coverage still seems to be too elementary. Players don't need to adhere to using something resembling real-life footwork, taking shorter/choppier steps when trying to accelerate and gradually extending to longer strides. Until they fix it, all they're doing is covering up or hiding the problem in different ways.
My idea of putting animations for defenders coming in and out of the strafe stance would probably fix this. I really hope they do that. And about the game sliders, I was having these problems with the reaction speed on 0 but the other slider was on default. I'll put that one down to 0 and see what happens
Old 08-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I can't speak for anyone else but I have had no problem with timing routes in M10 so far. I call by play type and I normally call "Standard pass." Find the primary reciever on the play who is colored orange. Snap the ball and let your QB do his drop back and bounce step. Time pressing the button with the end of his bounce step and setting his feet and I find that I can hit my receivers in stride. Bump and run coverage throws this off as it should. This is the point of BnR. I agree I am not a huge fan of the D running the WR's route with him ahead of him as a way to "win" man coverage. Also as of the retail release before a patch, all bump and run releases the WR to the right side of the offense [left side of the defender. As a result all X receiver post routes are "money" if you have the time agaisnt a bump and run and all Z receiver post routes are shut down. Also this means that flag routes are reversed in this situation. Until this is fixed this is a minor "exploit" of a sort.

Looks like i am going to have to make a short video showing timing routes in action
Old 08-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I can't speak for anyone else but I have had no problem with timing routes in M10 so far. I call by play type and I normally call "Standard pass." Find the primary reciever on the play who is colored orange. Snap the ball and let your QB do his drop back and bounce step. Time pressing the button with the end of his bounce step and setting his feet and I find that I can hit my receivers in stride. Bump and run coverage throws this off as it should. This is the point of BnR. I agree I am not a huge fan of the D running the WR's route with him ahead of him as a way to "win" man coverage. Also as of the retail release before a patch, all bump and run releases the WR to the right side of the offense [left side of the defender. As a result all X receiver post routes are "money" if you have the time agaisnt a bump and run and all Z receiver post routes are shut down. Also this means that flag routes are reversed in this situation. Until this is fixed this is a minor "exploit" of a sort.

Looks like i am going to have to make a short video showing timing routes in action
lol never noticed that before. Hopefully there is a patch for that. And I'll make sure to remember that for online play
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Banned

Cool lets see it. Btw, I put that slider down to zero and it didn't eliminate the CB running the route in front of the reciever, but it helped the reciever get in front of the CB quicker so I guess it helped a little bit
Old 08-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 8

Yep, I realized part of the reason I was throwing so many interceptions is because I expect players to react realistically, and in man coverage, the DBs don't. So I see the DB deeper than the WR, with his back turned, running full-out, clearly defending a fly route. And I know the WR is running an out, so I throw it as he cuts. He SHOULD be wide open but the DB with his back turned magically cuts the exact same instant as the WR, the forward inertia disappears, and he steps in front for the easy interception.

The lame duck passes are overdone too. I like that they're in the game, but you can almost count on EA screwing things up each year by having their new feature happen way too often. I expect that'll be fixed in 11 along with the over-the-shoulder catches, but there'll be some other new feature that we see wayyy too often.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieShoes
Yep, I realized part of the reason I was throwing so many interceptions is because I expect players to react realistically, and in man coverage, the DBs don't. So I see the DB deeper than the WR, with his back turned, running full-out, clearly defending a fly route. And I know the WR is running an out, so I throw it as he cuts. He SHOULD be wide open but the DB with his back turned magically cuts the exact same instant as the WR, the forward inertia disappears, and he steps in front for the easy interception.

The lame duck passes are overdone too. I like that they're in the game, but you can almost count on EA screwing things up each year by having their new feature happen way too often. I expect that'll be fixed in 11 along with the over-the-shoulder catches, but there'll be some other new feature that we see wayyy too often.
yeah i do the same thing with timing passes. And lame ducks are cool, but they are overdone. I see great potential now in the Madden series, and I think if they fix these things, Madden has an extremely bright future

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »