Home

Madden 10 lacks one key Fundamental

This is a discussion on Madden 10 lacks one key Fundamental within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 10
Madden 10 lacks one key Fundamental

Let me just start that this post is not for casual gamers but sim players specifically. When I say casual gamers I mean people who don't follow football fanatically and know the ins and outs of football and expect a game to play close to it.

My expectations of any sports title I buy is the fundamentals must be sound.What I mean is any sport game simulation must have the basic elements that are represented in real life(ie Blocking ,running game, passing game, tackling for football). If any part of the fundamentals are broken then the game has failed period. I don't care how many excellent features you add or if other parts of the fundamentals are excellent if just one part of the fundamentals are non existent then the whole game is garbage. How can that be? You are nickpicking? No sir!!

Tacking is a key fundamental aspect in football but Madden 10 only allow 1 man tackles. That's correct I said it and I won't back down from that statement. I don't want to here about pro tak and up to 9 man tackle stuff. I am talking about once a player is engage and no pro-tak kick in(ie the hugfest) I can't contribute to a tackle. A game that have 22 players on the field are reduced to a one on one game and no matter if 2 or more players are around they just bounce off some invisible force field. This is a game killer for me because it happens all the time and I have never been able to ,seen anybody or video where you can 'level' a player in a tackling animation period. If it was happening here and there like in the other fundamentals then I would have no problems because no game is perfect. But it is just impossible and is not a part of the game.

If Madden 10 only had passing plays that was only an out route or a streak would you you still love Madden if everything else was great? What if in the running game you could only do a spin move and that's all and every other aspect of madden was awesome would you still love Madden 10? Explain to me why tackling seems not to be important in Madden 10. I am going to give a few scenarios that in about 2-4 weeks of playing the sim players will stop playing this .

Scenario #1
It is third down and you need a stop and a reciver comes cross the middle catch the ball and he is 2yards shy of the first down. The LB covering grabs the receiver and you switch to another player to knck him back to stop but lo and behold you bounce off the force field and he breaks the LB tackle and gets the first down.

Scenario #2
3rd and short and you need a stop and it is a running play, You are controlling the MLB your d-line get good pressure and a dl gets in the tackle animation. You shoot the 'A' gap to stop him but lo and behold you bounce off and he drags your dlfor those extra yards.

This is the only major problem I see with this game but it is unplayable because of it for me the tackling isn't close to anything I have ever seen on Sunday period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Madden 10 lacks one key Fundamental

That sucks its a game killer for you. I am not really noticing it as much as you, not to say it couldn't have been replicated on the field better. I hate when people find "gamekillers" for themselves with pretty darn good games, because they really miss out on what could be a long, fun experience.

I guess to me, it's just a video game.........and I just want to have fun and feel like I am somewhat duplicating what I see on Sunday's. Madden 10 does that better than any other Madden to date for me...

Sorry Bro...once again, that sucks for you

Take care.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

The tackling is atrocious in this game, but it is still a good game.

I am sick of all the arm tackles and show string tackles. How is it I can throw a guy off me with Westbrook, who goes for a proper wrap tackle, but some guy who looks like he feel, touches my foot, and Westbrook falls over.

O and Pro-tak does not work for Users it seems. If one of my guys has the back wrapped up and I go over there, I cannot join in on the tackle. I have yet to see 9 man tackles after having the game a week, and the most is 3.

Tackling has been the worst thing about madden since the Sega games. They never gotten it right.

You just got to say to yourself, its a video game.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34
That sucks its a game killer for you. I am not really noticing it as much as you, not to say it couldn't have been replicated on the field better. I hate when people find "gamekillers" for themselves with pretty darn good games, because they really miss out on what could be a long, fun experience.

I guess to me, it's just a video game.........and I just want to have fun and feel like I am somewhat duplicating what I see on Sunday's. Madden 10 does that better than any other Madden to date for me...

Sorry Bro...once again, that sucks for you

Take care.
I respect that but you are saying you are a casual fan which I understand. But let me ask you since you say that rarely happens to you. Are you saying that you are able to join in on a tackle to lay a hit? I am not talking about the pro-tak moment. I am saying if a runner is engaged in a solo tackle and you come in to lay him out does it not bounce off.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 8

i for one agree with the op. majority of tackles in madden do seem to be one on one if not done with pro tak. pro tak doesnt allow you to lay a big hit on a tackle animation it just allows you to interact wit a big pileup of pro tak "hugging" as it has been called. a high number of tackles in the nfl dont just consist of 1 hit there are mulitple hits and often times when there is a pile up there is a player that just hits the pile not pushing it like pro tak shows.

Last edited by edavis781; 08-14-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: left out words
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanDave
I respect that but you are saying you are a casual fan which I understand. But let me ask you since you say that rarely happens to you. Are you saying that you are able to join in on a tackle to lay a hit? I am not talking about the pro-tak moment. I am saying if a runner is engaged in a solo tackle and you come in to lay him out does it not bounce off.
I've only played one game, so, it's a very small sample size.

Forte was running along the line of scrimmage, Kampon wraps him up(me) and Hawk comes over to join the party and pushes Forte back 2 yds for a 2 yd loss.

I'll watch more in the next games I'll play.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 12

I would agree I don't FEEL the tackles like I would like. I also think sometimes it is harder to control the player into a tackle with the feeling of getting sucked into an animation.

But I am still having fun.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

Unless they've butchered pro-tak between the demo and final release discs, I've seen cases oposite your 2 scenraios. Specifically, I've controlled a LB (Sintim) to push an already in progress 1-on-1 tackle backwards vs Marion Barber of the Cowboys on 3rd and short. I haven't played the real thing yet, and I wont get a chance to until after work, so I cn only comment on the demo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »