Home

Experimadden: The Flats & CPU Defensive Adjustments [With Pictures]

This is a discussion on Experimadden: The Flats & CPU Defensive Adjustments [With Pictures] within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: Experimadden: The Flats & CPU Defensive Adjustments [With Pictures]

You missed the sarcasm in my post. Im sure people will just over look this as a user generated glitch and nothing more, so be prepared for that.

I dont doubt you for a minute that it happened. I was just wondering how often you had those issues. If you didnt flip the play, I could see you going out of bounds alot.

Did the defense ever come out in a different formation?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

I don't doubt at all that this happened. Question is, what can we do about it? I don't mean a patch, I mean us, the "Maddenheads". Are there some defensive sliders we can adjust? Maybe there are some coaching settings, that might help. I hope there's something.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
I don't doubt at all that this happened. Question is, what can we do about it? I don't mean a patch, I mean us, the "Maddenheads". Are there some defensive sliders we can adjust? Maybe there are some coaching settings, that might help. I hope there's something.
I don't think there is anything we can do, unfortunately. The problem is that defenders simply don't play the flat correctly, and that beyond that, defensive play-calling is not based on your offensive play-calling. It's non-dynamic.

The sliders I used for this were pretty skewed towards Sim. If I jacked the pass recognition from 60 to 100...it might make the flat play realistically. However, it would then make it IMPOSSIBLE to pass anywhere else at all.

There's no way to adjust settings that could possibly fix this and NOT break the rest of the passing game in the other direction. Unless I'm missing something completely here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
You missed the sarcasm in my post. Im sure people will just over look this as a user generated glitch and nothing more, so be prepared for that.

I dont doubt you for a minute that it happened. I was just wondering how often you had those issues. If you didnt flip the play, I could see you going out of bounds alot.

Did the defense ever come out in a different formation?
Oh, I understand that. Sorry for missing the sarcasm - trying to give every reply some attention, and I'm so disappointed finding out this works I whiffed on the sarcastic part of it. I originally intended to call an entire game of underneath passes only - to varying players and out of varying sets - but I didn't think that would translate nearly as well to demonstrating how big this problem is. It's really two problems, when you look at it. Dynamic defensive play calling would negate the vulnerability of the flat a great deal. There were times that the play only went for a small gain - the real problem is that those times were random. Not the result of clever defensive adjustments.

As players and consumers, we have to expect better than that. I want to see that happen. It's well worth a few hours of repetition and frustration to really demonstrate this weakness in the game. If I had the equipment to do it, I'd record myself playing an entire game with only underneath passes to RB/TE players to demonstrate that it's not just one play or one formation that allows for this.

I picked this play at random out of a dozen or more plays that would produce similar results.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

What happened to the "adaptive AI"?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
It looks more and more like the AI in this game - on both sides of the ball - is a sham. I think so much work went into how the game plays online that they really didn't play enough offline games to get these problems right. I had a few games earlier today in which my CPU opponent abandoned the running game in the fourth quarter with plenty of time left...down by 3 or 4. The big example was Minnesota. Despite the fact that Peterson had 16 carries for 162 yards at the end of the third quarter, the Vikings NEVER ran in the fourth quarter trailing by less than a touchdown. I kept waiting for it...never happened. No idea why - I was struggling to defend it even when I knew it was coming.

It's very simplistic play calling on either side of the ball. I've also noticed some really bizarre choices. IE - goalline offense on 3rd and 15 down 10. I don't know.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
you beat me to these post. am sractching my head right now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #16
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I've been getting pretty good game results in my offline franchise because obviously I'm playing realistic and not just calling one play. That being said, it is pretty sad that EA did hype up the adaptive AI in the early development blogs and it is completely broken in the final product. Hopefully it is patchable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »