Home

How to Draft Successfully?

This is a discussion on How to Draft Successfully? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: How to Draft Successfully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUF4N
So i should try to trade 1st round pick for more 2nd rounders? or something like that
My first year I drafted Dez Bryant (NCAA Import) OkSt and He was a very solid pick that was fairly easy to sign. In my second draft I pick a CB that had 97 speed, 99 Acc, 77 awr, and 77 catch. he was a beast but I just could not sign him, I offered 68 million over 7 years and the max signing bonus and it still was not enough so I am going to trade my 1st rounder from now on. I was kind of dissapointed because if you cant sign a guy he does not show up on the free agent list so I guess he gets deleted?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
Rookie

LSUF4N's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
My first year I drafted Dez Bryant (NCAA Import) OkSt and He was a very solid pick that was fairly easy to sign. In my second draft I pick a CB that had 97 speed, 99 Acc, 77 awr, and 77 catch. he was a beast but I just could not sign him, I offered 68 million over 7 years and the max signing bonus and it still was not enough so I am going to trade my 1st rounder from now on. I was kind of dissapointed because if you cant sign a guy he does not show up on the free agent list so I guess he gets deleted?
Ive never had that problem with not being able to sign someone.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
Rookie

LSUF4N's Arena

Im about to go into the draft ill post my picks when im done
Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
So i should try to trade 1st round pick for more 2nd rounders? or something like that
I tried doing that in my Bills Franchise. I was using imported draft classes and targeted T. Cody from Alabama with my 28th overall pick.
Once it was my turn there were still 2 DT's ahead of him so I traded down and received the 5th pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

However, this back fired because Cody came in rated 69 and all the rest of my picks were less than that. No Gems.

Has anyone who uses imported draft class noticed late round gems?

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
Rookie

LSUF4N's Arena

I traded a bit so i had 10 total picks for the draft

Dont remember order but i will estimate

QB- 70 OVR C POT, got him about 4-5th round.. not bad
WR- 72 OVR C POT, Got him 7th round
WR 70 OVR- A POT- 5th Round
WR 56 OVR F POT- 6th Round
TE-72 OVR B POT 4-5th round
LT 55 OVR F POT 5-6th Round
RT 67 OVR D POT 3rd round
DT 76 OVR A POT- 3rd round
LOLD 68 OVR C POT 6th round
FS 81 OVR B POT-2nd round

Not a bad draft overall but i did have some busts that i thought were sure bets. Got some solid back-ups and some guys who will turn into solid starters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
yes and no...it depends on ur team. if u have a team thats pretty much deep already like the steelers then trading out the first round can be a good idea, especially if u have a late round pick anyway. but if u have a top 10 pick, odds are that u need something really bad and u should try and get it

but like somebody said, a lot of players w/ high potential (and some immediate starters) can be found in the later rounds. normally i would trade out of the first round since im in the bottom 28 every year. i sim the playoffs. its a successful draft (for me) when i have 2 2nd rounders, 3 or 4 3rd rounders, and a couple of 4th rounders.

i just simmed a draft and i had 9 picks and 4 were in the 3rd round. here are a few things that stuck out:

LG 82 overall, A Potential (mid 3rd round)
HB 85 overall, A Potential (mid 3rd round)
C 64 overall, A potential (5th round)
TE 78 overall, A potential (mid 3rd round)

one observation i've noticed from my 2 different franchises (one i play, one i sim) is that when players want more money and they are a later round pick, they are studs. we talkin 81+ overalls and a lot of potential
Old 08-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #23
Rookie

LSUF4N's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOREST007
yes and no...it depends on ur team. if u have a team thats pretty much deep already like the steelers then trading out the first round can be a good idea, especially if u have a late round pick anyway. but if u have a top 10 pick, odds are that u need something really bad and u should try and get it

but like somebody said, a lot of players w/ high potential (and some immediate starters) can be found in the later rounds. normally i would trade out of the first round since im in the bottom 28 every year. i sim the playoffs. its a successful draft (for me) when i have 2 2nd rounders, 3 or 4 3rd rounders, and a couple of 4th rounders.

i just simmed a draft and i had 9 picks and 4 were in the 3rd round. here are a few things that stuck out:

LG 82 overall, A Potential (mid 3rd round)
HB 85 overall, A Potential (mid 3rd round)
C 64 overall, A potential (5th round)
TE 78 overall, A potential (mid 3rd round)

one observation i've noticed from my 2 different franchises (one i play, one i sim) is that when players want more money and they are a later round pick, they are studs. we talkin 81+ overalls and a lot of potential
My Franchise is with the Texans so i usually have top 20 pick at least. Ive never really had any guys hold out for more money yet. Some of them were studs and took 1 year minimum pay salaries.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
Rookie

LSUF4N's Arena

Wow the CPU really values draft picks.... I was able to trade 1st round draft pick for LaRon Landry

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »