Home

Anyone want to sue EA over NFL exclusivity?

This is a discussion on Anyone want to sue EA over NFL exclusivity? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #17

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Anyone want to sue EA over NFL exclusivity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Well, what I was saying was why does the NFL even want that? Like I said, more variety of games means more money in their pocket, especially considering some people, if not alot, would probably by two NFL games if both were high quality.
This is strictly my guess.

I don't think the NFL has never made x amount of dollars off of each copy sold of a given game. I think they make their money based off games using the NFL's likeness, and it is likely a one time fee, not a fee for each copy of the game sold.

So before, the NFL could charge a smaller fee to the companies to use NFL likeness in their game.

And my guess is that fee, even x 3 is much less than what the NFL is able to charge EA for the exclusive rights.

Just a guess though.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 6

I don't really care if EA or the NFL wanted it more. The fact is that there is no competition when there should be. I mean I think Madden 10 is a decent football game, but I think it would be better if EA had someone nipping at their heels.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #19

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myloman
I don't really care if EA or the NFL wanted it more. The fact is that there is no competition when there should be. I mean I think Madden 10 is a decent football game, but I think it would be better if EA had someone nipping at their heels.
You mean the way the 2k baseball has improved with competition?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
Im not 100% sure, but can someone tell me why the NFL goes along with that deal? I dont know all the facts about it, admittedly, but it seems to me that more NFL games would bring them in more money. Like I said, that may not be true...I dont know.
I think it's more about control of the NFL's image than it is about money. They are already worth more money than normal people can fathom and it seems they want to have more control of what use people have over property of the NFL.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #21
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

the nfl uses a team of lawyers to work along side of ea . i remember when the NFL offered the license it was open bidding. this was NFL's call to streamline their end of the deal and not have to work with multiple companys. NCAA followed suit and had a bidding war. EA won both. EA is just the bidding winner. this is not their fault and the nfl has added years to the deal so they must be happy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 18

I LOL'd at the thread title. I thought it was some kid trying to round people together for a lawsuit.

IMHO I don't think anyone has the artillery to take out EA's license with the NFL.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 17

sue john madden,lmao
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 8

Hey if the Jet fans can still chant de-fense down 31-7 in final seconds of ball game, I guess I can yell sue sue sue on a no chance lawsuit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »