Home

Progressing Rookies

This is a discussion on Progressing Rookies within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should I start the rookie?
Start him and hope that he progresses faster 8 61.54%
Sit him and let him play in Mop up Minutes 3 23.08%
other.. please let me know what you plan on doing. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39
Progressing Rookies

So, now that we don't have the option of going to "training camp", how do you plan on training your rookies? Do break them in slowly or throw their feet to the fire?

Here's an example from my Bills Franchise (with imported draft). With my 1st round pick I targeted Alabama's DT Terrance Cody. I figured that he would be an excellent choice to him solidify my D-Line. Because I would have Cody and Stroud in the middle with Schobel and Maybin at DE. That's a pretty stout front 4, IMO.

Well, I ended up trading down and taking Cody with the 5th pick in the 2nd round, expecting to be able to plug him in right away like past Maddens. However, once I signed him I realized that he was rated 69 with A potential.

So here in lies my dilemma. I have another DT on my roster Kyle Williams who is rated 75 overall with C potential (I believe). So, my question is.....Would you.....

a) start the rookie so that he could gain experience and hopefully progress quicker
or
b) put you highest rated team on the field and use the rookie only as depth and in blow out situations. And hope that he get's enough playing time to become a future starter

Right now, I'm starting Cody and have my fingers crossed that he will play a solid DT due to his strength (91). He's holding up pretty well through 8 games. He has had a couple of 4-5 takle games but he only has 1 sack (kind of expected that though).

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
CSL
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Progressing Rookies

Yeah, I would start Williams with Cody getting some time. If he does alright with his current stats, maybe consider starting him. If not, a couple of seasons of backing up should get him in good shape to start
Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

How about starting Williams and use formation subs to get Cody in the game. I believe you have to start the best players if you want to win. By putting Cody in for certain situations he still gets PT without being a liability.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 17

Well since you're the Bills and really have no shot of a Championship, I'd start the rookie and try to develop him. No point in leaving a possible star on the bench when he could help turn your defense around.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12
Well since you're the Bills and really have no shot of a Championship, I'd start the rookie and try to develop him. No point in leaving a possible star on the bench when he could help turn your defense around.
ZING.

Hey, my goal to make it to the Super Bowl for 4 straight years and lose them all. Oh, wait they already did that.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
How about starting Williams and use formation subs to get Cody in the game. I believe you have to start the best players if you want to win. By putting Cody in for certain situations he still gets PT without being a liability.
Yeah, I kind of have the same feeling. My only hope is that he's able to progress much more since he's starting and gaining more experience. Hopefully, his awareness goes up a lot because that's the main thing he is lacking.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 29

I have been subbing James Davis in for Jamal Lewis on a couple formations to get him some minutes.

I say you put your rookies in for certain formations.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
I have been subbing James Davis in for Jamal Lewis on a couple formations to get him some minutes.

I say you put your rookies in for certain formations.
Yeah, it's not as difficult with a RB because you can alway get them playing time by spelling your first stringer. But, what about if you had a d-lineman or (in your case) a 3rd string back with lower rating's but more potential.

Would you allow the 3rd string back to take away carries from you 2nd stringer? At least the accelerated play clock helps out with these types of issues.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »