Home

Madden Sales ...slow

This is a discussion on Madden Sales ...slow within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Madden Sales ...slow

I've got nothing against anyone who is a fan of Madden. Personally, I prefer 2k when it comes to football. I don't really get the angst some of the Madden fans have on here about people who want the NFL license to be open. It's not like EA is going to stop making Madden if other companies are allowed to make NFL games too, so what do you care? Like I said earlier, win win. I get my football game back, you get to keep your football game, both companies push each other towards innovation... The NFL gets a more broad exposure and players make more money from various companies competing for their endorsement. WIN all around. This exclusive deal made no sense. It was simply a predatory move. It's now backfired. They just locked in last year before the release of 09 for another 3 years. After the 2012 season it should be interesting.

I viewed this move as a desperate last ditch effort by EA to revive its series and try to win the customer base back before competition can come into play. Too little too late in my opinion, but we will see what happens. So far, it's not working.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 AM   #74
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I've got nothing against anyone who is a fan of Madden. Personally, I prefer 2k when it comes to football. I don't really get the angst some of the Madden fans have on here about people who want the NFL license to be open. It's not like EA is going to stop making Madden if other companies are allowed to make NFL games too, so what do you care? Like I said earlier, win win. I get my football game back, you get to keep your football game, both companies push each other towards innovation... The NFL gets a more broad exposure and players make more money from various companies competing for their endorsement. WIN all around. This exclusive deal made no sense. It was simply a predatory move. It's now backfired. They just locked in last year before the release of 09 for another 3 years. After the 2012 season it should be interesting.

I viewed this move as a desperate last ditch effort by EA to revive its series and try to win the customer base back before competition can come into play. Too little too late in my opinion, but we will see what happens. So far, it's not working.
Then it will be the 2015 season. Hey, maybe my kids will be able to play NFL 2K15. By that time the players in Madden might run realistically.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Since 2k games have been ridiculously popular right...
It was nearly as popular in 2004-2005 as PS3/360 Madden is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Cobra, Check out the link. This was when the story first broke from the Sports Biz Journal. The story was prematurely leaked and asked to be retracted, but the info was already out.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6098784.html

Remember, at that time, football game sales were BOOMING for both companies, but EA especially.
Still seems like too much, but I guess that explains EA's recent financial problems and why the game is so bad. There is no room for a real development budget with half going to the NFL/NFLPA and the other half going to console licensing fees and retailers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 AM   #76
Rookie

One thing that no one is considering in all this is the value of the exclusive NFL license. More to the point, how valuable will that license be in 2011, when in all probability, members of the NFLPA will find themselves locked out.

This is, no doubt, part of the business plan for the new United Football League and may be the reason why a USFL is attempting a comeback.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #77
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paytonsplace
One thing that no one is considering in all this is the value of the exclusive NFL license. More to the point, how valuable will that license be in 2011, when in all probability, members of the NFLPA will find themselves locked out.

This is, no doubt, part of the business plan for the new United Football League and may be the reason why a USFL is attempting a comeback.
The extra value of an exclusive license versus a regular license is $0. It has gained EA nothing. Keeping things how they were would have made EA more money and probably helped sales.

The license is worth a lot less during a lockout. Who want a game based on a season with no roster changes (can't really sign, trade, or draft players during a lockout) and that is shortened or nonexistent.

Hitting the NFL during a lockout is probably their only chance at success and a good way to pick up a few big name rookies.

Last edited by Cobra84; 08-20-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 AM   #78
Pro

CYST2000's Arena

OVR: 16

With EA it's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. And if you think about it it's really helped there sales. For instance. If you make a game with a good amount of bells and whistles but keep it from being perfect you have a decent game that we all will buy because we love our football. Then next year you take what worked for the game out and put the thing(s) you were missing in, and thus everybody is hyped and not knowing your still getting a broke product. So like any good gamer you suggest too everyone you meet that this is going to be the best one yet and they go out and buy it. When you give it some time,and you start to see the flaws and tell EA that the next year needs to have all the stuff you had in the last game back in it. EA says oh, ok! Then proceed to apply our demands for the next year while stripping away what was working the year before again. So we the mass consumers pass on to our freinds how this is the year it all comes together, and well as always it won't because we all help add the hype they need for great sales. When every year they need hype to sale they couldn't actually make the game perfect then every year would be harder to get people excited. And sales would hit a plateau>:^( Remember if you are buying a baseball, basketball,hockey or even a soccer game that the choices that you have are keeping the games as good as they can possibly be. So in the realm of NFL or NCAA they have to keep you hanging on their every whim. Because they have all the rights and hold all the sales numbers for the respected sport of football.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #79
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra84
Hype didn't match the game - Madden wasn't quite the revolution that certain EA employees made it seem like it was going to be. A number of promised features didn't make it into the final game and other long standing issues still exist.

I think you make some good points here Cobra.

Yes.. Madden '10' was hyped up to the clouds.

Also your points about features and issues I think matter too. I'll only speak for myself by saying the one feature, being adaptive AI that meant alot to me personally, that was supposedly added this year, seems by nearly all accounts to simply not work. And yes...there seems to be several long standing issues that returned for yet another year. That more than anything has kept me on the sideline.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #80
Banned

OVR: 28

Best kick off ever

this is why sales are down.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »