Home

How to beat soft zone defenses (3 and less rushers)

This is a discussion on How to beat soft zone defenses (3 and less rushers) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 55
How to beat soft zone defenses (3 and less rushers)

I'm having some trouble beating these defenses consistently. I was shut out by a guy who ran 3-4 cover 4 every play and sat in the short middle with his NG. I couldn't figure out how to counter it consistently.

Here are the solutions I've come up with:

- First and foremost = Running the ball. Now, the Ravens got ahead and their defense is very fast so I couldn't get consistent rush yards against their talent. Probably has to do with the types of runs I was using. My best guess = go big formations and run right at them, don't even do power-O's unless they pinch the line. go right to the soft center of that defense and take your 4+ yards per run.

- The pass play "levels" seems completely meant to shred soft zone defenses. It puts 3 WR's in the same area.

- Screens - WR and RB. WR screens have worked better in my experience against a VERY soft zone. It can still be stopped because so many defenders are still in front of you.

- Calling a play where the slot WR runs a deep corner and you hot route your wide WR to a short corner runs off the CB and S in a cover 4 and leaves a soft spot for a consistent 10 yard gainer. Now, this doesn't work when the D is spread out with DB's also, it seems to only work when you are spread out and the D still has their base package on the field. Nice play find, though.

- The "follow" plays (I think that's the name) where the slot WR runs a short drag and the TE/innermost slot WR runs a 10 yard in. It floods the short middle of the field again.

- QB scrambles and runs right up the middle.

- RB checkdowns in the short middle of the field.

All of these things have moderate success against that super soft defense (cover 4 or "velcro" play call). I'd imagine another successful strategy is to just sling your crossing routes into the intermediate coverage and make use of the immense time you'll have to throw the ball. Don't rush anything.

I still can't seem to find the exact counter to these defenses. As you can tell I've put some thought into it. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

EDIT: Contributing ideas -

Post routes. I think in addition adding a seam route to run off the S in a cover 4 would do the trick. Might need an underneath route to hold the LB also. (mrprice33)

Draws. This could be the best direct counter in terms of risk/reward, especially with teams that have bad play recognition skills. (Kase)

Flood short zones with crossing routes and pick them apart leisurely. (Tcrouch)

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

Last edited by CreatineKasey; 08-21-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: How to beat soft zone defenses (3 and less rushers)

posts that run right in front of the safeties will also work.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
posts that run right in front of the safeties will also work.
Against a cover 4? it'd be tough to sling that in there. You might need to run a seam route in front of it to open it up? I tried those and got picked. I think to complete anything against a super soft zone we'll need combination routes. A seam/post is a good one.

Good find.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Rookie

Kase's Arena

OVR: 3

Also Draws. I know they're risky cuz you can get met in the backfield but they can be effective. Also in singleback with 4 wides there's a double post play that works well. I was playing last night against a guy who kept dropping into zone and it seemed to work well. Whatever you can do to get those lbs moving.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase
Also Draws. I know they're risky cuz you can get met in the backfield but they can be effective. Also in singleback with 4 wides there's a double post play that works well. I was playing last night against a guy who kept dropping into zone and it seemed to work well. Whatever you can do to get those lbs moving.
Yeah I can see draws being the direct counter. Need to practice up on those. In football terms that'd be a great counter. Thanks for the input... I'll add it to the list.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

If a guy is dropping back into cover 4, then you won't have much pressure on you at all. You can run double drags and eat him up all day long.

Any formation where you have 2 TE's running crossing routes across the middle, or bunch formations with WR's in tight crossing...things like that will pick apart those deep zones.

The pressure won't be there, so you'll have a nice, liesurely time sitting back and waiting for your receiver to pass through each zone.

On the crosses, AI (and humans are even worse) players will invariably jump one of the crossing routes. When they do, they'll frequently get picked by the other crossing receiver. Just toss a nice little touch pass to the other one and you'll frequently hit a seam in between the zoned LB's and be able to turn it up field for an easy 10-15 yard gain.

They won't be able to do anything against it until they shift to a higher pressure defense or go with a shallow cover 2, in which case you then hit them with flag routes and fades at 15-20 yards. Eventually they'll have to actually play varying defenses.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
If a guy is dropping back into cover 4, then you won't have much pressure on you at all. You can run double drags and eat him up all day long.

Any formation where you have 2 TE's running crossing routes across the middle, or bunch formations with WR's in tight crossing...things like that will pick apart those deep zones.

The pressure won't be there, so you'll have a nice, liesurely time sitting back and waiting for your receiver to pass through each zone.

On the crosses, AI (and humans are even worse) players will invariably jump one of the crossing routes. When they do, they'll frequently get picked by the other crossing receiver. Just toss a nice little touch pass to the other one and you'll frequently hit a seam in between the zoned LB's and be able to turn it up field for an easy 10-15 yard gain.

They won't be able to do anything against it until they shift to a higher pressure defense or go with a shallow cover 2, in which case you then hit them with flag routes and fades at 15-20 yards. Eventually they'll have to actually play varying defenses.
Atta boy! Perfect response. I'm going to practice mode right now to get this in my offensive mindset. Thank you!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Not to mention that if you have a QB with any kind of mobility (I have Jason Campbell) you can just step up in the pocket and pick up 4-7 yards with his feet, that will force your opponent to spy your QB which will take a defender or 2 out of coverage opening more windows to throw the ball.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »