Home

Defending the Pass

This is a discussion on Defending the Pass within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Defending the Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaklgg
I've had a really hard time calling the right plays to stop the pass. Against players AND against the CPU it seems like I've tried everything but I just get shelled by my opponents QB.

For instance online today my opponent was the vikings, not exactly a passing juggernaut, but he went like 17/20 with Favre for 2 TD's and no picks.

I've tried Man, Cover 2, Cover 3, Zone Blitzes, Blitzes...EVERYTHING!!!

The problem isn't necessarily getting pressure...I can do that fine with a decent DE or a blitz. It's just that my coverages seem to be terrible. When I play zone, my DB's/Linebackers aren't in the right positions and even with a decent team like the Redskins, my man coverage gets beat easily by like a Slant or a Drag.

I would appreciate some advice please.
Defending the pass is nearly impossible simply because you have no control of the guy you're manually controlling and the DB AI is questionable at best. You can't physically control a DB, LB or Safety and, with the sticks (joysticks), take away a reciever or even defend a pass with that guy. The control just isn't there and the player controled guy just doesn't respond to "swat pass" or "catch" when you push the button. And forgot about switching to a cpu controled DB and trying to make that play on the ball cuz it ain't happening. I've found that if the other QB is half way decent (and the cpu usually is), you're toast. Sorry bro, maybe next year. It took me about two days of playing this game to finaly give up on it for that very reason.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

defending the pass is far easier than it was in 09
Old 08-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 7

Yeah im sick of cheesers running 5 Wideouts on me and not being able to stop em. Ive blitzed, and tried cover 3/2. Blitzes generally workout better because it forces the QB to make a quick read, but you can also get burned pretty bad that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
Defending the pass is nearly impossible simply because you have no control of the guy you're manually controlling and the DB AI is questionable at best. You can't physically control a DB, LB or Safety and, with the sticks (joysticks), take away a reciever or even defend a pass with that guy. The control just isn't there and the player controled guy just doesn't respond to "swat pass" or "catch" when you push the button. And forgot about switching to a cpu controled DB and trying to make that play on the ball cuz it ain't happening. I've found that if the other QB is half way decent (and the cpu usually is), you're toast. Sorry bro, maybe next year. It took me about two days of playing this game to finaly give up on it for that very reason.
This is sad but true and I hope that the DB AI gets patched as that would make gameplay 100X better. Manually controlling defenders is simply out of the question as the controls really aren't built for that type of control, and in many cases the user will make just as many mistakes as the CPU does if not more.

Honestly, I didn't realize how bad DB AI was until I started looking at replays. I'm 17 years old and I could defend passes better than some of these guys.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfreaklgg
This is sad but true and I hope that the DB AI gets patched as that would make gameplay 100X better. Manually controlling defenders is simply out of the question as the controls really aren't built for that type of control, and in many cases the user will make just as many mistakes as the CPU does if not more.

Honestly, I didn't realize how bad DB AI was until I started looking at replays. I'm 17 years old and I could defend passes better than some of these guys.
It's crazy, you're 17 and you get it. EA has been making Madden games since before you were born and they don't get it. It's very frustrating and discouraging for anyone who loves football and football video games to see so much potential wasted year in and year out simply because EA chooses to focus on the wrong stuff.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactiveman
It's crazy, you're 17 and you get it. EA has been making Madden games since before you were born and they don't get it. It's very frustrating and discouraging for anyone who loves football and football video games to see so much potential wasted year in and year out simply because EA chooses to focus on the wrong stuff.
Lol, I am gonna play with some sliders and see if I can get realistic pass defense.

The problems can essentially be broken down into Man Coverage glitches and Zone coverage Glitches.

The man coverage glitches seem to happen most often on short routes such as slants and drags, and some short "ins." What happens with these routes is that the WR makes the cut, and the DB simply DOESN'T react for an abnormal amount of time. He just stands there for a brief moment.

I understand there is a difference between getting beat and glitching. Corners get beat by slants all the time, but for REAL reasons, such as not being quick enough, getting beat off a press, etc. But they won't get beat because they saw some shiny penny on the ground and decided to take a moment to stare at it.

Next time someone gets beat by a slant or something like that, check it out. This isn't the case all the time but a lot of the time right as the WR makes the cut the DB just stands there for a split second.

Zone Coverage Glitches are a little more complicated, but players simply don't play their zones logically. Now I understand sometimes players have mental lapses in coverage, but this is SO consistent, and even frequently happens to high rated DB's.

There are varied glitches in zone coverage. Line backers who play their yellow hook zones aren't aggressive enough to any intruders in their zone. So if a runningback runs a curl route to the middle of the field for example, and just stands their at the end of their curl route facing the QB for 3 seconds, the linebackers STILL won't play the RB tight at all, and let him catch the ball for an easy money play.

There is of course the "flats" problem where linebackers don't get out quick enough, but I suspect that will be fixed.

There are also various other instances with DB's where they just don't react properly to intruders in their zone. Sometimes when the ball is thrown they run AWAY from the ball. YES, I mean that, AWAY from the ball. It has happened to me, and it happens to everyone, they just don't realize it all the time.

Then there are instances where the ball just goes through a DB's arm...etc.

CHECK YOUR REPLAYS WHENEVER THE CPU COMPLETES A PASS.

At least 40% of the time it is for a BS reason. I have no problem getting my *** kicked, as long as it's kicked fairly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »