Home

Preliminary Tests to Reduce CPU Blitzing in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Preliminary Tests to Reduce CPU Blitzing in Franchise Mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Preliminary Tests to Reduce CPU Blitzing in Franchise Mode

Unfortunately, Franchise mode is the only place you any reasonable level of control over the CPU play calling, but my first look at this is promising.

Nothing scientific, just observations for the most part. I would guess that the CPU, on average, blitzes around 60-70% of the time by default (I'm counting any more than 4 rushers as a blitz... the Cowboys sending 3 down linemen and DeMarcus Ware is not a blitz... both the 3-4 and 4-3 are designed with a 4 man rush in mind, it's just that the 3-4 disguises where the 4th rusher is coming from). This is a secondary contributer to the flats problem, and a huge contributer to the slants and crosses being so effective. Simply put; the defense blitzes so much, you end up calling blitz beaters most of the time, and this creates big plays regularly. The blitz is a gamble... at these rates, it's suicide.

Having played 3 franchise games against CPU teams with their Defensive Aggression slider minimized yielded about 10% blitzes. 3-4 teams a bit more since their playbooks are more blitz heavy. 4-3 teams rarely blitzed at all, except on 3rd and Long (as it should be).

I'll dig a bit deeper, and if anyone else wants to have a crack, please pass on your results... but based on a quick look, it seems we can make a better game within offline franchise at least.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Preliminary Tests to Reduce CPU Blitzing in Franchise Mode

*Sigh* So I'm gonna have to go and control all 32 teams for another year? Great job EA. You guys really earned that vacation.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
*Sigh* So I'm gonna have to go and control all 32 teams for another year? Great job EA. You guys really earned that vacation.
Being that the over-blitzing was already known, does this peice of news add to your disappointment? You're perfectly welcome to ignore it and continue beating the ever-loving-**** out of the computer with Texas and flats.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

I imagine th 3-4 teams should have a higher aggresiveness. Should they all have the same setting, or should they differ from team to team, or should we have categories like Blitz happy, Blitz sometimes, Hardly Blitz, and Never?
Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Being that the over-blitzing was already known, does this peice of news add to your disappointment? You're perfectly welcome to ignore it and continue beating the ever-loving-**** out of the computer with Texas and flats.

I thought you didn't lab?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
I imagine th 3-4 teams should have a higher aggresiveness. Should they all have the same setting, or should they differ from team to team, or should we have categories like Blitz happy, Blitz sometimes, Hardly Blitz, and Never?
Yeah, I got some numbers on what teams actually do, I'm gonna try to match 'em up with the aggressiveness sliders in franchise. I'm sure I'll get SM27 in on this, he's good at that ****.

-Mark Twain.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

I played with the aggression minimized and saw no real difference. What are your run/pass settings?
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
Cant we just change it before each game without controlling all 32?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »