Home

Idea: Random ratings

This is a discussion on Idea: Random ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Idea: Random ratings

I wanted to revive this topic with some further ideas.

So i talked about having each player have a consistency rating. This rating dictates how off/on a player is for a season. Then the scale on the rating that it effects.

Now to go even further than just a game to game basis. There should be also a play to play hot/cold effect. Like NCAA has had some years back.

Having Peyton Manning come out and throw a pick might not rattle him to much. But having Sam Bradford throw a pick early in the game and he might be rattled much greater.

Brainstorming ideas that EA might come across and say "that would work".
Old 09-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 7

This is a great idea.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #51
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Maybe along with the consistency rating, you have a confidence rating, which impacts the variablity of the consistency rating...if that makes sense.

Like you said Manning can go 0-3 with a pick 6 on their first drive and come out for the second possession and drive his team down the field with no change in his demeanor. However, you see Rex Grossman throw a pick and it's like watching a bad car accident that just gets worse and worse.

I guess the higher confidence kind of leads to a player playing more at his higher consistency level even after a bad play. While a lower playing guy will tend to jump around. You may have to work him back in a groove after throwing a pick by running some short, easier passes. Where as with a Manning, you know you can try and go right back down the field on the next pass.

I guess the confidence level basically determines how likely that player is going to play at the higher end of his consistency level.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 9

NFL 2K5 has something called Weekley Preperation. If you put that on, week after week the attributes and ratings for players will fluxuate. one week, Jake Delhomme will have a bad week, one week he will be lighting up a secondary.

Weekley Prep is similar in some ways to the training camp you'd do each week in Madden 09, but it is a lot more advanced and hardcore. it is a strategic importance in the game for training players, giving them diets, whatever to keep them balanced. some players will progress one week, some degress. you have to vary your work-outs with different routines to keep Jake Delhomme consistent.

in my roster he has 78 consistency, but with weekley prep if i over work him or not work him enough, he may drop in the 60s.

Weekley Prep was never really a big thing, cause it takes a lot of time to do and is VERY hard, but if Madden took this and with the better technology (knock on wood), they can make Weekley Prep a lot more advanced.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 5

I think that this is a great idea. Here's a thought... Have your consistency stat be between 20 and -20. A 1 would mean a very consistent player as his attributes would vary by 1 point. A 20 would be a wildly inconsistent player whose attributes (like accuracy, not speed) would hit quite a range. Make a play with the player (I'll use QBs, as their performance is easiest to evaluate) and he gets a bump up to a max of twenty. I suppose, also, that more consistent players would have a smaller range (ie Peyton, Brady, Brees) like 5 to -5.

Just a random thought. Again, great idea
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #54
MVP

Outkizast's Arena

OVR: 12

Ok so this is BY FAR the very best idea I have seen on OS... The ratings scale is brilliant.. like somebody else said, maybe the minimum rating should be hidden.... they can keep the current ratings in place, but bring in a system that makes consistency tied into it... that way not all players will always play to their ratings... they will simply be basically their potential rating... they can POTENTIALLY achieve their rating... and having this go on a series by series basis or something within a game would be amazing... and it may cut down on a lot of the high scoring games a bit... if you watch a lot of NFL football, you will notice that sometimes the offense just flat out doesn't have their best series.. they may come out and throw a couple errant passes.. drop a couple balls... I know that with the stretched out ratings this year and stuff there already is some randomness to throws and drops... but having the consistency rating tied into all of this is amazing...

I will do my best to get Ian's attention to this thread.. as should everyone else.. this would make franchise mode unbelievable...

Also somebody stated hiding ratings or something to that effect... I personally would LOVE to have to play the preseason games to get a feel for my players and how well they play... there has to be something to make those games relevant... as well as bringing position battles some love in Madden.. because they are an exciting aspect of football that is lacking...
Old 09-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #55
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
Ok so this is BY FAR the very best idea I have seen on OS... The ratings scale is brilliant.. like somebody else said, maybe the minimum rating should be hidden.... they can keep the current ratings in place, but bring in a system that makes consistency tied into it... that way not all players will always play to their ratings... they will simply be basically their potential rating... they can POTENTIALLY achieve their rating... and having this go on a series by series basis or something within a game would be amazing... and it may cut down on a lot of the high scoring games a bit... if you watch a lot of NFL football, you will notice that sometimes the offense just flat out doesn't have their best series.. they may come out and throw a couple errant passes.. drop a couple balls... I know that with the stretched out ratings this year and stuff there already is some randomness to throws and drops... but having the consistency rating tied into all of this is amazing...

I will do my best to get Ian's attention to this thread.. as should everyone else.. this would make franchise mode unbelievable...

Also somebody stated hiding ratings or something to that effect... I personally would LOVE to have to play the preseason games to get a feel for my players and how well they play... there has to be something to make those games relevant... as well as bringing position battles some love in Madden.. because they are an exciting aspect of football that is lacking...
Thanks alot bro.

It was one of those things that kinda of stuck out to me when I was listening on the radio about QB battles. You never have a battle in madden. Everyone almost always just places the highest rated guy at each position.

But just because a player is talented does not mean he shows it on the field every game and every play. You could name many many players that are very inconsistent, but extremely talented and athletic.

Having a way to implement that in the game would go a long way in making not only the onfield action more realistic, but also the franchise game to game aspect of it.

Glad everyone is feeling this. I hope Ian gets a look at it and sees if they can do something with it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #56
Banned

OVR: 13

This is an awesome idea, but I seriously doubt it will ever be implemented in Madden...at least not well.

Things that could effect it would be consistency (rating?), quality of receiving corps and coaching.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »