Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #273
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Well since this thread is somewhat active again I'd like to link to my post on the subject: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...n-debates.html

I made this thread pretty much in response to the debate going on in this thread. The reason I didn't simply post it here was because I didn't want to get labelled as being on one side of the debate or other. I'd like to think I have some new ideas that could really help the game. Basically I tried to make a system where you'd have the best of Madden 06/07 progression without the main negative (everyone on your team becoming superstars).
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #274
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

What if they kept pre-determined potentials, but allowed us a chance to train players to increase their potential?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #275
MVP

OVR: 36

Just let us edit everything! Let me be able to change a person's rating mid-season, and edit their potential. That way I will have no problem with it. I paid $60 for it, who cares if I technically cheat the system? I personally won't but many people will. I will change all players over 27 to B potential because in my franchise I want players declining first. I will base most people's rating all of success and barely any potential. If David Clowney leads the league in receiving he is going from a 78 to a 94. If he then struggles again, he's going down to an 85. After an injury, I will lower a lot of ratings especially for running backs. I would LOVE this option, and it would make Madden 10X better for me. Please, please, add this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #276
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Just let us edit everything! Let me be able to change a person's rating mid-season, and edit their potential. That way I will have no problem with it. I paid $60 for it, who cares if I technically cheat the system? I personally won't but many people will. I will change all players over 27 to B potential because in my franchise I want players declining first. I will base most people's rating all of success and barely any potential. If David Clowney leads the league in receiving he is going from a 78 to a 94. If he then struggles again, he's going down to an 85. After an injury, I will lower a lot of ratings especially for running backs. I would LOVE this option, and it would make Madden 10X better for me. Please, please, add this!
That's what I liked about 2006 progression. A player that had a good year (for example a WR) would receive increases in catch, catch in traffic, awareness, etc... he wouldn't get boosts in speed or trucking, or anything ridiculous. Seemed logical to me.

Are you able to edit attributes mid-season though? I never control all 32 teams so I'm not sure but can't you let the CPU run most of the franchises and focus on your own but since you have all 32 selected are you able to edit attributes? If not, I def feel your pain and agree it would be a great feature.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #277
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
What if they kept pre-determined potentials, but allowed us a chance to train players to increase their potential?
Hi again

Potential defined as
  1. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
  2. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
Inherent defined as

Permanently existing in something; inseparably attached or connected; naturally pertaining to; innate; inalienable; as, polarity is an inherent quality of the magnet; the inherent right of men to life, liberty, and protection. "A most inherent baseness.

Capacity defined as

1. maximum output or producing ability operating at capacity
  2. the quality of being adapted (for something) or susceptible (of something); capability; potentiality
So by definition potential is a max ability that can ever be reached. Lets break it down further. Like comparing one part of Coal power plant to one part of a nuclear power plant.(I will use theoretical numbers to prove the basic point)

One reactor from a coal plant has the potential to produce 10 units of power. No matter how much coal you put into the reactor or even if you use 100 reactors, you will still only have the potential to get 10 units of power from a reactor. A nuclear reactor has the potential to produce 1000 units of power. Again, even if you add more reactors you still can only get 1000 units of power from it.

By saying you can change a players potential is like saying you can change the amount of power you could potentially produce from a power plant. Because we already know its impossible to increase the max power output, why would you think we should be able to increase a players potential?(do you just want to increase it for guys you think deserve it?) If that is the case, why not just allow us to be able to change players attributes mid franchise?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #278
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
That's what I liked about 2006 progression. A player that had a good year (for example a WR) would receive increases in catch, catch in traffic, awareness, etc... he wouldn't get boosts in speed or trucking, or anything ridiculous. Seemed logical to me.
I think what Madden needs is to have a pre-game prep system more like 2k5 more than anything else and tie progression to that over time.

Someone called HC an "RPG" - to me, that's exactly what performance-based progression is. A player "levels up" by catching a lot of balls or making a lot of tackles just like a RPG character levels up by killing stuff and some how that killing stuff makes them faster or smarter or better at casting spells or picking locks.

Someone said Madden emulates real life - do real life players get better at football by catching 4 passes instead of 2, or making 5 tackles instead of 6? If they do, it's probably due to drills during the week instead of what happens in the actual game.

Madden is just missing the weekly prep that goes into every game.

As far as potential goes, the system now very well can create a "Brady situation". It's a low OVR (so he falls down the draft), but has a hidden A potential so that if he ever got a chance and had time to develop...boom.

Heck, I've read how people think the draft is too easy because they pick up late round gems with relative ease. How is that any different than the "Brady situation"?

The problem, imo, isn't capped potential - instead it's that we can SEE that potential, and scouts are never wrong about that potential.

Hide potential, make scouting reports be inaccurate (tie to the "scouting agency" you hire so there's a good reason to pay for one) and make us find out over time how a player grows.

I did like the weekly progression changes because players don't change in a lump sum once a year. It's a gradual thing in either direction.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-03-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #279
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Just let us edit everything! Let me be able to change a person's rating mid-season, and edit their potential. That way I will have no problem with it. I paid $60 for it, who cares if I technically cheat the system?
I agree - why would EA care how someone plays their offline franchise?

And why can't we change POT independently when making a new player? I might want to create a guy who's great now but falls apart in two years for whatever reason, etc.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #280
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Hi again

Potential defined as
  1. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
  2. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
Inherent defined as

Permanently existing in something; inseparably attached or connected; naturally pertaining to; innate; inalienable; as, polarity is an inherent quality of the magnet; the inherent right of men to life, liberty, and protection. "A most inherent baseness.

Capacity defined as

1. maximum output or producing ability operating at capacity
  2. the quality of being adapted (for something) or susceptible (of something); capability; potentiality
So by definition potential is a max ability that can ever be reached. Lets break it down further. Like comparing one part of Coal power plant to one part of a nuclear power plant.(I will use theoretical numbers to prove the basic point)

One reactor from a coal plant has the potential to produce 10 units of power. No matter how much coal you put into the reactor or even if you use 100 reactors, you will still only have the potential to get 10 units of power from a reactor. A nuclear reactor has the potential to produce 1000 units of power. Again, even if you add more reactors you still can only get 1000 units of power from it.

By saying you can change a players potential is like saying you can change the amount of power you could potentially produce from a power plant. Because we already know its impossible to increase the max power output, why would you think we should be able to increase a players potential?(do you just want to increase it for guys you think deserve it?) If that is the case, why not just allow us to be able to change players attributes mid franchise?
Hey bud,

I like your power plant analogy, I think it makes sense in the terms of defining the word potential. Not sure if I agree that it fits to players in the NFL though. Because of the human element (effort, practice, etc...) I think potential does have the ability to fluctuate, and I would love to see that implemented within franchise mode.

If I have a WR with a 79 overall rating (with "C" potential) and his catch rating is an 82... I don't like that he can never increase his catch rating beyond an 82 because his OVR rating is capped at 79. If potential could fluctuate a bit he could actually improve... Like in real life if he practiced and worked at it to improve his hands.

Because of the current system, once a player hits his capped number, he can't improve in a single category. All progression in every sense of the word screeches to a halt. I don't think that makes any sense because the guy hit a pre-determined overall number.

I have an indoor soccer game to go to, be on later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »