Home

Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

This is a discussion on Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #65
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Madden 2006 Had Perfect Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by firktaf
I'm with jip4 and Glorious on all of this.

However, what I think Teambuilder's main point is but hasn't really come out and said it this way is that there should be more ambiguity involved with potential/progression. Right now, everything is set in stone from the moment a player comes into the league. I know that the QB I drafted in the 1st round that has a C potential will most likely not be my franchise QB...and I know immediately. And with that, I agree with him. It's one thing to know that my rookie WR has a catching rating of 80(which is a fact, it's not up for debate) but it's another thing to know that he'll be a stud in the future.

Imo, a relatively simple solution would be to just hide a player's potential rating for their first 2-3 years. This would create an illusion of a guy rising to the occasion...or failing to live up to the hype. It would still be the same system underneath that we have now but I think this could greatly enhance the experience. So, it wouldn't be possible for anyone to improve, but since you're experiencing it instead of just knowing it, it comes off more naturally.
Yea that's basically what I'm saying. And I know EA could update with roster updates but it wouldn't be fun to have to keep restarting a franchise because of it. All I'm saying is that I loved Madden 2006 progression.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip4
2. But I'm taking a bigger risk not throwing him out there. If nothing else, I've lost a year of progression, just like that.
youre risking a harrington regression by throwing him in there
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #67
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Yes, they are. It's sim. You don't think there are players like this in the NFL? The average NFL career is 2-3 years. Most players wash right out. And it's not because they didn't take advantage of their opportunity, and if they had they'd be superstars. It's because they're just not good enough.
Well its not really a sim if all D-F players are not going to be able to improve/achieve and compete at the top end.

I agree the majority will be nothing more than scrubs for their career, but with the right coaching, tactics .. whatever etc, ANY player should be able to progress to the top level.

What I am saying is, if I take a F rated potential running back - blast 2000 yards + per season with him, break records etc... will he be rated as highly as an A rated potential player who did the same or worse on the field?

Thats the key point, not that 'the real NFL' said so.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
obviously they could tweak it..but dont put a ceiling on my guy when the the devs have no idea what he can be capable of...noone does, only time
But they do. There also the ones that determine how far he can throw the ball, how fast he can run, how well he can catch, and every single thing about him. Again, this is where the real life/franchise distinction comes it.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #69
Rookie

i really just cant understand how yall think real life progression/regression isnt performance based...thats pretty much all its based on!! im not trying to say youre wrong!!!, i just dont see what you're seeing
Old 09-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #70
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roolz
Well its not really a sim if all D-F players are not going to be able to improve/achieve and compete at the top end.

I agree the majority will be nothing more than scrubs for their career, but with the right coaching, tactics .. whatever etc, ANY player should be able to progress to the top level.

What I am saying is, if I take a F rated potential running back - blast 2000 yards + per season with him, break records etc... will he be rated as highly as an A rated potential player who did the same or worse on the field?

Thats the key point, not that 'the real NFL' said so.

1. F rated running backs shouldn't be able to put up those kinds of numbers.

2. They wouldn't even see the field, because there'd always be a better player to take their carries.

3. If an F rated player did put up those kind of numbers, why would you need/want him to get any better?

and finally:

4. What's going to happen when the F rated running back progresses to a 95. Is he going to rush for 7000 yards? How is that sim?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #71
Rookie

Quote:
But they do. There also the ones that determine how far he can throw the ball, how fast he can run, how well he can catch, and every single thing about him. Again, this is where the real life/franchise distinction comes it.
no they dont..theyve never seen him play!!! they can rate him low initially, fine, but why put a ceiling on him??? there is no ceiling on him in real life..its up to him..why should it be different
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #72
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooldude79
i really just cant understand how yall think real life progression/regression isnt performance based...thats pretty much all its based on!! im not trying to say youre wrong!!!, i just dont see what you're seeing
I've explained this several times. You'll have to be more specific about what you aren't understanding. But to reiterate:

Progression comes about from practice during the week, training in the off season, watching film, lifting weights, etc. Not from catching 6 balls instead of 3 on Sunday.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »