Home

Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty.

This is a discussion on Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: Drag routes over the middle and throwing to the flats makes me feel guilty.

Seems like AI has taken a mjor, major hit, across the board, in all sports games isnce the next gen era.

From what I see, this looks like a problem that can be fixed by patch, and I hope it will be.

I dont expect my Middle LB, to be able to stay with Brian Westbrook on a wheel route, but on a flare out to the flats, I do expect him to acknowledge what is happening, and "read" the play.

Slower LB's are able to cut therse routes off, because they are able to read it, take, a proper angle and cut it off.

You rarely see swing passes go for major yardage without a poor angle by a defender, all out blitz, or a missed open field trackle.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Great video PGaither, really highlights the problems with routes taken by defenders. Hopefully its something they can fix.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

How about in a cover 1 scenario a safety might be assigned to a rb, say the SS. Then if the RB moves out to the left the safety will never get there. i try to use the "show blitz" adjustment on most plays just to put my defenders closer to the line of scrimmage and in a more realistic pre-play position.

the cover 2 cb play is the biggest problem for the flats, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #36

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Regarding the flats, I think I found something. I made a quick video to illustrate it:

Great video...Looks like I need to institute a new rule in my franchise. Any time a route is designed that way, I am going to hot route it to a "regular swing" route.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didnt realize this wasn't possible.

Last edited by Deegeezy; 09-08-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 25

i dont know if any of you have done this yet...But when you get a second check out league leaders in YAC. In my franchise, 1-16 are ALL my players. The closet to any of my players is 214 yds behind!

Definitely an issue there.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #38
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
Great video...Looks like I need to institute a new rule in my franchise. Any time a route is designed that way, I am going to hot route it to a "regular swing" route.

EDIT: Nevermind. I didnt realize this wasn't possible.
I would love it if Tiburon implemented swing or flat hot routes for players that are in the backfield.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
i dont know if any of you have done this yet...But when you get a second check out league leaders in YAC. In my franchise, 1-16 are ALL my players. The closet to any of my players is 214 yds behind!

Definitely an issue there.
Same, in my Franchise (I played all games and went 9-7, so this wasn't an issue with "difficulty") like 700 of lee evans' 1000 yards were all YAC.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #40
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Great thread, and excellent video PGaither. This gives me hope that the flats bug can be patched.

As for the easy pick sixes, here are a couple of random thoughts:

1. I play using custom sliders (can't remembers which set), with reaction time and interception at 0. There are still WAY too many picks going for TDs at this level. The number of interceptions for TDs a given NFL season is usually around 50, or about 1 every 5 games; in Madden 10, they are happening just about once a game on average. Raising the speed threshold only makes a minor difference, and if anything just increases the chance an LB or DL will take it to the house.

2. IRL 90% of INTs for TDs happen when the DB jumps a route in the flats or along the sidelines. In Madden 10, we all know that route jumping doesn't really happen; well, in fact, it actually happens on just about EVERY ROUTE, as DBs are practically running the route with the WR. As a result, nearly all the INTs are caught in stride.

3. Many people have pinpointed the poor pursuit angles on INT returns as the cause for all the TDs. While they are terrible, I believe they are very much secondary to the primary cause, which is psychic DB play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »