Home

CPU is Telegraphing the Run...

This is a discussion on CPU is Telegraphing the Run... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
CPU is Telegraphing the Run...

Wow. No wonder it is so easy to stop the run (at least in Franchise). If you pay close attention to the CPU's playcalling, you will see that most if not all of the passing plays are done out of the 3 to 5 WR set, and virtually every run is done out of a formation with equal or lesser than 2 WR's. All I do is blitz when the CPU selects a formation with 2 or less receivers and... wa-la!... stopped a run in its tracks.

Note, that the Run blocking slider is at 100 too (and I know that block-shedding plays a factor too)! I think that part of the poor CPU running is due in part the terrible CPU playcalling, coaching, and play-adjustment. The CPU not only will not only refuse to mix up run-pass plays, but will not adjust its playcalling either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: CPU is Telegraphing the Run...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaturne
Wow. No wonder it is so easy to stop the run (at least in Franchise). If you pay close attention to the CPU's playcalling, you will see that most if not all of the passing plays are done out of the 3 to 5 WR set, and virtually every run is done out of a formation with equal or lesser than 2 WR's. All I do is blitz when the CPU selects a formation with 2 or less receivers and... wa-la!... stopped a run in its tracks.

Note, that the Run blocking slider is at 100 too (and I know that block-shedding plays a factor too)! I think that part of the poor CPU running is due in part the terrible CPU playcalling, coaching, and play-adjustment. The CPU not only will not only refuse to mix up run-pass plays, but will not adjust its playcalling either.
Interesting observation. I'll have to check this out next game I play.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaturne

Yeah but try not to exploit this little problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I just played a game and was paying attention to this and I'd estimate that out of 2 WR or less sets, the run to pass ratio was about 65/35, but the majority of those passes were screens so if you are blitzing every play you could very easily get burnt
Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

A guy started a thread about playing with game speed on very slow. And I've noticed that the CPU running game seems more realistic. I play on Pro with all CPU sliders set to 100.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I notice the Jaguars, Colts, and Patriots love to run out of the 4 wide set.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

I kept a little tally on an envelope while I played my last two games. It doesn't appear that the computer telegraphs the run or is unbalanced in its playcalling depending on the WRs in/not in the set by any means.

PatriotsPlaycalling
Run Plays
2-34+
Pass Plays
2-34+
SteelersPlaycalling
Run Plays
2-34+
Pass Plays
2-34+

If teams come out three wide I'd expect them to throw more often. Pats rarely come out with less than 3 receivers so when they do its a good chance they will run, but there is no way you can bank on them throwing every time out of a 3 wide set either.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Anyone have any stats on reality and runs out of 2 wide vs 3 or more wide?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »