Home

Franchise mode longevity worst in history?

This is a discussion on Franchise mode longevity worst in history? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Franchise mode longevity worst in history?

I'm a big franchise mode player, always have been.

I would play that mode for probably half of the year until the next Madden would come out.

I am the type that likes to start a new franchise mode after each roster update, and I like to simulate seasons and just basically play GM.

But now with draft classes and potential it is almost no fun now.

It's to easy to know how good a player is. I'm thinking potential should be hidden for at least 2 seasons. And I don't want to see any players potential in the draft unless i've scouted them.

It sucks now that I like to use the Vikings so I always like to draft a QB in round 1. I know which ones are the good ones now so it almost no more fun I can start a franchise now and build an unstoppable team (potentially) with ease.

Your thoughts on potential and draft classes? I don't mind the idea of draft classes. But each one seems to have a name stuck to them, there should be model draft classes with random generated names. That would at least make it more challenging.

And maybe something like head coach with potential where everyone has a basic potential until you scout them to find some of their attributes. Then after having them on the team for 2 seasons you can see their potential. So will save me cutting F rated players as soon as pre season starts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Franchise mode longevity worst in history?

I like the idea of assigning randomly generated names to custom crafted draft classes, but I have to disagree with you on franchise not having longevity this year.

I'm on year 3 of my franchise and in past maddens this is where I would usually lose interest because I would have an unstoppable team for of players rated in the 90s and enough cap space to keep all of my starters signed. With a tougher salary cap this year I have had to manage my roster better, including trading away 30 year old vets on the last year of their contracts. The challenge to keep young talent funneling in behind the starters might actually keep me playing the same franchise until Madded 11 comes out.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

I feel it has far more longevity now. Tougher salary cap, and improved progression are the key elements to that.
Not sure about knowing who the good players are good to draft either. Yes, you can see they have high potential, but that doesn't mean they'll actually work for you. It's all too easy to draft a player who has high potential but a low starting OVR. That then gives you the challenge of keeping the player on your roster until he's good enough, which is tougher now, particularly the way some players are so determined to go to free agency.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Pro

Good points. I see how it is good for you guys.

It's just not good for my type that like to start new franchises all the time and simulate them. You learn who are the good players in the draft after simulating a few franchises.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

I have many issues that kill franchise.

My main issue is with the IR but more recently, as I've been exposed to how worthless OL are, I feel that the mode is dead. Until they differentiate the difference between Alen Faneca and Wes Welker as offensive lineman, then there is no point to even signing good OL.

That kind of screws the team finances. If you can disregard OL, you already have a tremendous advantage over the other teams. That kills so much of the fun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Pro

Thats only on All Madden though Sois iirc?

If its on other levels, then I will be a little miffed as well, but I thought versus just exposed this on All Madden, which is not worth playing on anyway as it was always jacked and not a true representation of the game.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
I feel it has far more longevity now. Tougher salary cap, and improved progression are the key elements to that.
Not sure about knowing who the good players are good to draft either. Yes, you can see they have high potential, but that doesn't mean they'll actually work for you. It's all too easy to draft a player who has high potential but a low starting OVR. That then gives you the challenge of keeping the player on your roster until he's good enough, which is tougher now, particularly the way some players are so determined to go to free agency.
Agreed.

Potential doesn't necessarily equate to how good/bad a player will ultimately be. There are gems and busts in the drafts, so a player with an A potential could bust just like a guy with a C potential could flourish much like Tom Brady.

For me, franchise mode has replay value this year, which is something that last year's game severely lacked.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Even a guy with D potential is capable of progressing from the 50s into the 70s which is a pretty serviceable player in my opinion. The question becomes, how long do you want to hold onto that particular project player to see if he flourishes.

I like the system in place but I do see where youre coming from since you are a multiple franchise player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »