Home

A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With!

This is a discussion on A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: A Ratings/Progression System We Can All Be Happy With!

i like the idea, the only thing is I dont think the potential should change
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecourt
I understand what you are getting at and the concept isn't unrealistic, but I just wonder how different this is from just hiding ratings all together.

People that are interested in taking the time to actually watch players make plays in games, practice, preseason, etc. and make determinations about player levels based on what they see might enjoy this, but I have a feeling that there is a large base of Madden fans out there who wouldn't want to spend time "evalutating talent" so to speak.

Having said that, I suppose that having your GMs rated and having the better GMs assessed ratings come closer to the actual ratings might be something to add. But it still feels like hidden ratings with a misrepresentation of talent/skill over the top of it.
There's no actual evaluating being done by the user. The GM does that based on the player's performance. The user doesn't have to do anything different. They just don't know a player's exact rating, because it would fluctuate somewhat based on stats and potential and the GM's skills.

Quite frankly, anyone who would rather know exact numbers instantly isn't someone whose opinion I care about.

Personally I'd be fine with hiding the numbers and just having a letter grade, or having a range that gets narrowed down as the season progresses. You draft a QB. If you're the Raiders your GM tells you he's between a 50 and a 90. If you're a team without a zombie owner, he's a 70-85. Whatever. Then, based on his playing time and stats, his range decreases until you know his actual rating. Combined with actually having extended pre-season rosters....and pre-season has some meaning.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecourt
I understand what you are getting at and the concept isn't unrealistic, but I just wonder how different this is from just hiding ratings all together.

People that are interested in taking the time to actually watch players make plays in games, practice, preseason, etc. and make determinations about player levels based on what they see might enjoy this, but I have a feeling that there is a large base of Madden fans out there who wouldn't want to spend time "evalutating talent" so to speak.

Having said that, I suppose that having your GMs rated and having the better GMs assessed ratings come closer to the actual ratings might be something to add. But it still feels like hidden ratings with a misrepresentation of talent/skill over the top of it.
yeah i believe the ratings should be hidden in franchise. can you imagine how great that would be? it would make scouting worth something. you'd have to scout players that arent in the draft. when looking to sign FAs or make trades, you'd have to look at their stats that they have produced as opposed to their ratings, just like IRL. it'll make practice and pre-season mean something because you'd have to actually see who plays better as opposed to who has a higher rating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
yeah i believe the ratings should be hidden in franchise. can you imagine how great that would be? it would make scouting worth something. you'd have to scout players that arent in the draft. when looking to sign FAs or make trades, you'd have to look at their stats that they have produced as opposed to their ratings, just like IRL. it'll make practice and pre-season mean something because you'd have to actually see who plays better as opposed to who has a higher rating.
But how does this work for players who don't play? Would every back-up player be worthless. Because IRL coaches get to watch their players in practice. Wouldn't this system force players to have to play practice? Which in turn would kill this game for casual fans.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
Serenity Now!

Random Hero's Arena

OVR: 5

I like the idea as well, but one thing they need to do with the progression/potential system is make the potential stat editable.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

The game engine isn't up to it yet....as it stands now we'd think all slot receivers and left ends were great, and all starting WRs and right ends were poor.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richieh
The game engine isn't up to it yet....as it stands now we'd think all slot receivers and left ends were great, and all starting WRs and right ends were poor.
Very good point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero
I like the idea as well, but one thing they need to do with the progression/potential system is make the potential stat editable.
Nah! I disagree, while the ability to edit is a good thing, if you can edit potential what is going to stop you from giving every one on your team an A potential rating?
But then you are going to say to not use it, but why have it in the first place.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »