Home

Madden should follow NBA Live's example

This is a discussion on Madden should follow NBA Live's example within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Madden should follow NBA Live's example

Yeah basically ever since they got their exclusive license, they borrowed everything 2K5 had. Which you know is fair game.

Madden just need to focus more on the core game play and stop with all the "fluff" Madden is known for. In the beginning it was the Madden cards and now it is all this DLC for AFL packs and accelerators crap.

It seems like they put more effort on fluff then core game play. Cut out the fluff and they will have more time for catching bugs and flawed AI.

Sure about 97% of the flawed AI can be fixed with sliders, however you know it can take all day or couple of days to get a perfect slider set.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
One thing for sure, EA needs to lay off the patches. This generation companies seem to be patch happy. Just because you can patch, don't mean you should half do a game just for you can patch it up later.
This really resonates with me. The constant glaring issues that repeatedly come with every release on this generation's Maddens shows a complete lack of any type of effective QA. The best patches are the ones applied BEFORE the game releases, and it certainly seems as if EA's attitude toward QA is one of nonchalance because they "can get to it in a patch".

With all due respect, I'm especially dismayed at the idea of letting the "cream rise to the top" upon release, because this most certainly equates the consumers with being the QA testers. Did franchise stats, for example, have to "rise to the top", before it was noted as something to be fixed? Really?

Which leads me to my second point which is that anything "franchise" or "offline" is considered a bygone relic, with the least amount of priority. I get the sense that anytime "offline" is mentioned, there are some on EA's staff whose eyes glaze over from disinterest. Oh well, another topic for another thread I suppose.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 12

I'm sure alot of these guy at 2k who where so talented are out of a job. They probably will never get a chance to work on another licensed 2k football game. Why not hire some of there talent to add new ideas and diversty to the madden formula.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

I think that for Madden 11' (unfortunately not 10') they should take AP2K8 and NFL2K5 a little more serious.

In Madden 10, there are some great elements in there such as the cutscenes with the Refs debating a TD or not and the chain gang returning. However, there needs to be a major overhaul in the gameplay arena.

*DB's cannot continue to run the WRs routes every play.

*The Presentation NEEDS to be ESPN if EA is going to advertise using it or at least NFL Network....not a production of EA Sports...(thats corny, we know who makes the game)

*Use everything that worked in 2K...from the celebrations (Superbowl included -Locker room look in-) to the gameplay mechanics....esp by the Qbs in AP2K8.

And if all else fails...use that big checkbook to hire some 2K talent....or they could always just buy out the company! lol
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #29
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core gameplay improvements with our new design team.

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not, its whether they 'get it' and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic gameplay. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

I personally look at ALL games for inspiration, including 2k8, 2k5, and any other game that has positive elements. That's part of being a good designer IMO - finding things that other games do well and improving on it.
Absolutely.

Most people understand this... a select few don't.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
This really resonates with me. The constant glaring issues that repeatedly come with every release on this generation's Maddens shows a complete lack of any type of effective QA. The best patches are the ones applied BEFORE the game releases, and it certainly seems as if EA's attitude toward QA is one of nonchalance because they "can get to it in a patch".

With all due respect, I'm especially dismayed at the idea of letting the "cream rise to the top" upon release, because this most certainly equates the consumers with being the QA testers. Did franchise stats, for example, have to "rise to the top", before it was noted as something to be fixed? Really?

Which leads me to my second point which is that anything "franchise" or "offline" is considered a bygone relic, with the least amount of priority. I get the sense that anytime "offline" is mentioned, there are some on EA's staff whose eyes glaze over from disinterest. Oh well, another topic for another thread I suppose.
This. I wholeheartedly agree. It seems as if everything this generation is about playing online. I am not one of those people, i play offline franchise almost exclusively, so i would really like the devs to flesh out the chise mode some more.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Maybe this thread?

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2040149774

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2009, 01:50 AM   #32
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I think we're on the right track, and most that notice the core changes from 09 to 10 agree. Not everyone does, such is life, but the focus shifted away from one of new & flashy mechanics towards core gameplay improvements with our new design team.

I see that's your new phrase now."Such is life" To say your heading in the right direction is yet to be determined. Heading in the right direction would have been having good A.I, Smooth gameplay, solid animations, proper physics, and all features from last gen.

Nothing mentioned above exist in Madden 10, so how is that heading in the right direction is beyond me. You guys have been working on this engine for 5 years, and now your heading in the right direction. I find that very interesting, and for those that want to jump in stop it and let Ian do it himself.

What you did with madden 10 was produce great graphics, pretty towels and cleats, players actual face mask, but a very flawed game. Something that you would never admit, but hey "Such is life"

I don't think it matters whether a person worked at 2k or not,

its whether they 'get it'and whether they are focused on creating good and realistic gameplay

. Our current team is built that way - and we're going to continue down that path of realism and authenticity.

I will say you guys get it when the following I mentioned above takes priority over graphics and uniform details. With games like Madden ,6,7,8,9, and 10 only prove that as of right now you guys don't get it.

I personally look at ALL games for inspiration, including 2k8, 2k5, and any other game that has positive elements. That's part of being a good designer IMO - finding things that other games do well and improving on it.

If this is true then great, but with your current engine I find it impossible for you and your team to accomplish this.

I would also like to add that sales are down. How can a title heading in the right direction not sale. The decision made as a priority for Madden 10 were not made for the best interest of Madden fans.

Now with going the route you went with Madden 10 it really damaged how gamers are looking at Madden 11. You should have focused on GAMEPLAY first then all the eye candy for Madden 11, and EA would not be in the shape it is in with losing so many of it customers.

I told you Ian that this forum when the game released in August would be filled with unhappy gamers with Madden 10, now is that going to finally change with Madden 11? Only if the focus is SOLID GAMEPLAY and if you guys can actually execute it.

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 09-17-2009 at 01:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »