Home

Individual fake blitz assignments

This is a discussion on Individual fake blitz assignments within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 55
Individual fake blitz assignments

Some zone blitzes have hook zones that make the defender take 2 or 3 steps towards the offense, then backpedal into their zone. The idea in real football is to trick an offensive lineman into accounting for you when you really aren't blitzing and to leave a blitzer unattended to. In the ESPN article they mention doing this and show a screenshot of it working.

Has anyone else had success or concrete evidence that those fake blitz zones do in fact trick offensive linemen from time to time?

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Individual fake blitz assignments

They do and they don't. If you have an outside blitzer, say a Nickel or Dime back and as long as you leave him in his default alignment then the Tackle will go after the DE that's fake blitzing and dropping into coverage. But if you move that blitzing Nickel/Dime back up the tackle will complete ignore the DE and slide out and block the Nickel/Dime back. I hate it with a passion. The OL BECOMES psychic if you move your blitzers closer. But if you leave your blitzers in the default position, it takes them too long to get there.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
MVP

hmm... interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind when doing these kinds of blitzes.

I thought one way to try the same concept is to actually blitz the DE on the playart, but pull him back manually. That'd probably be considered cheese, though as it is really taking advantage of the AI. On the other hand the AI is taking advantage of you when they are psychic and pick your guy up no matter what.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
hmm... interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind when doing these kinds of blitzes.

I thought one way to try the same concept is to actually blitz the DE on the playart, but pull him back manually. That'd probably be considered cheese, though as it is really taking advantage of the AI. On the other hand the AI is taking advantage of you when they are psychic and pick your guy up no matter what.
No I wouldn't consider it cheese if you do that. Anyways, if you do that the tackle will come after you. It's really deceptive too. You can't drop back as fast as you would like doing this either or the tackle while he is beat, will easily slide back into place and pick up the Nickel/Dime Back. Utterly CHEAP, if you ask me.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
MVP

I did some experimenting and found that YES this does work at times. I particularly like it when your player who is fake blitzing has a flats responsibility as he can sprint and make up ground.

Good stuff!

Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »