Home

are you willing to speak with your wallet?

This is a discussion on are you willing to speak with your wallet? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How will your impression of Madden 2010 affect your decision to buy 2011
Satisfied with 2010 - WILL buy 2011 64 52.03%
Satisfied with 2010 - WON'T buy 2011 6 4.88%
Unsatisfied with 2010 - WILL buy 2011 4 3.25%
Unsatisfied with 2010 - WON'T buy 2011 49 39.84%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: are you willing to speak with your wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms24forever
People are not speaking with their wallets, it's the economy. People just cannot buy everything they would like to. Those who say the will not buy Madden are lying to themselves for the most part (A small portion of the OS community will not buy the game), however the people that like to complain the most about Madden NEED to buy it so they can complain about the game.

This poll is irrelavant and in no way shows the actual purchasing decisions people will make next summer!

To add to this, most peolpe who complain about this game have recently joined OS (July to Sept 2009). This trend shows me that most of the EA haters have found this website and just troll. When someone like LBRulez, Pared, roadman have something to say about this game I will listen.
Madden sales have been relatively weak since 2005. They have been selling around the same number of copies every year that they did before they got the exclusive license. The economy was not an issue up until last year.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #58
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7

there is no option for me lol, I have not bought madden since 08, I did buy last years ncaa but it sucked too. I will not purchase an EA football game again until it is actually produced to look like football. the game now just looks like a bunch of robots sliding around and what not. when I can pop in the game and say holy **** this is awsome, almost like watching a game on tv (like I did with the show 09), THEN Ill buy the game.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus82
I mean this is the point we want the game to get to right? hmmmm sports gaming would really have to change theri business plan
They would if their business plan is intentionally leaving "parts" out so they can bundle them into the "new features" for next year.

Otherwise, not necessarily. As technology improves, more things will be possible. Perhaps with the PS4, we'll be able to see real thinking AI that's much more customizable (not just standard sliders).

Perhaps we'll see more gameplay additions like the return of the play editor and playbook creator. Maybe we'll see more in depth audible and hot-route systems.

We could see more animations to deepen the game (i.e. give the animations impact on the play like the current animations). The gameplay could be "perfect" but there's still more that can be added.

We could see a real coaching/coaching staff system. In fact, that could be the customizable AI outside of sliders.

I think there's lots of things that EA could actually get to once they finally do perfect the gameplay. So I don't think it would just be "Pay $60 for our roster updates!11! Hurf durf!!" if they ever did create the perfect "basic" gameplay.

Not to mention that in the age of DLC, a change in business model could be just selling roster updates/expansions for older versions. Say Madden 11 is perfect. Then when Madden 12 comes out, they could still release Madden 11-compatable roster updates for like $3 a piece or something. Or a code that unlocks them for like $10 for a year-valid code for all updates released.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo
How about the option:

Find 2010 decent and will only get 2011 if the game truly has fixed the same issues that have been there for years

If 2011 has fixed blocking and better player logic then I will buy it. If it doesn't then no way I'll buy it.

i think the four options capture people in pretty descriptive buckets. i could've added more but i went for simplicity. i'm in the "i think the game is decent" boat. roster updates won't make the game any more fun for me. fixed gameply will though
Old 09-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #61
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
People are not speaking with their wallets, it's the economy. People just cannot buy everything they would like to. Those who say the will not buy Madden are lying to themselves for the most part (A small portion of the OS community will not buy the game), however the people that like to complain the most about Madden NEED to buy it so they can complain about the game.

This poll is irrelavant and in no way shows the actual purchasing decisions people will make next summer!

To add to this, most peolpe who complain about this game have recently joined OS (July to Sept 2009). This trend shows me that most of the EA haters have found this website and just troll. When someone like LBRulez, Pared, roadman have something to say about this game I will listen.
LOL, the economy. The game has been lackluster for four years;that's why sales have been slipping. Most people can afford a $ 60 one time purchase.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeffalump
Again, Batman very recently sold 2 million in 2 weeks. Now, maybe your argument could be that the economy is only affecting annual titles like sports games. But if that was the case, why are Guitar Hero 5 and Beatles Rock Band doing so well?
They aren't sports games? Perhaps there's ton of people who love that genre and can convince themselves into buying them with every new version?

I mean, it's like saying Why do people keep buying Final Fantasy but wouldn't keep buying Madden.

Now if people are buying sports games that are annual or the like, then I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeffalump
It's not a "real sports game" but Wii Sports Resort has been topping the charts since it was released.
That's the thing - it's different. It's not just "yet another football game"

Plus it's on the Wii - probably a different set of dynamics going on, given a different console. For one, the control scheme is way different (I'm assuming, giving the WiiMote and the like) and maybe people find that more engaging. Makes me wonder how a Wii version of Madden might do.

(and, no, I don't have a Wii - just so no one thinks I just said that because I want Madden on the Wii)

Oh and I never answered the topic question. Actually my option isn't up there. Year after year, I'm an "it depends" buyer of sports games. I didn't get MLB: The Show 07 or 08. I didn't buy OOTP 7 or 8, and don't have 10. I didn't buy Madden 08 and almost didn't get 09 because I was upset there's no PC version. If this wasn't on the PS3 (which is almost like a PC in some sense, gaming-wise) I probably wouldn't have gotten it.

So my box would be "I bought Madden 10 and am relatively satisfied (I'd give the game a 7 of 10, not bad, but not great), but I might not by Madden 11." I don't know yet, and withhold judgment until I see what Madden 11 is said to offer.

Last edited by KBLover; 09-26-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Monkey
I sort of don't see the point to "speak with my wallet"? Makes it look like the game is outrageously bad which it just isn't.

Why would I send any semi-black-mail messages? I'm not gonna pretend that buying a game is an investment and lose out for a year just to make myself think I'm costing EA money.
speaking with your wallet was more so for the folks that are super critical of the game but turn around and buy it each year. I don't think the game is bad but there are fundamental things that just don't work.

its not about costing EA money its about doing your part as a consumer to let the marketplace know how you feel, and not blindly buying a game out of tradition or football culture..
Old 09-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #64
Banned

Quote:

i disagree. i think the poll is actually very relevant. the only thing missing is an choice for "other". my take away is that as is usually the case in life, the disgruntled scream the loudest, while those who are happy with their situations don't feel the need to let the world know.

before doing this poll i was under the impression that most people were unhappy with the game. mind you unsatisfied does not mean that the game is trash, it simply means that the game does not live up to you expectations. I'm sure the percentage of unhappy people who responded was also much higher than the percentage of satisfied folks.

the poll is good for what its worth. answered a lot of questions about the madden forum population

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »