Home

Quinn vs. Anderson

This is a discussion on Quinn vs. Anderson within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Quinn vs. Anderson

I thought that the reason that the Browns had such a hard time picking a starting QB was because Derek Anderson has a big arm, but Brady Quinn is more accurate. I was playing against the Browns today and checked out Quinn and Anderson, and Quinn is only 2-3 points better in the accuracy ratings. If they were really that close in accuracy I would think that starting Anderson would be an easy choice.

Is there something I'm not seeing here that makes Quinn siginifcantly more accurate than Anderson in-game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Quinn vs. Anderson

As for the madden ratings, Quinn is much more physically gifted and has better technical skills. Specifically speaking, 20+ points higher in play action and 10-20 something points higher on throw on the run. He is also more accurate in the shorter game which would mean he in term is a more consistent thrower then DA. IRL, they wanted a QB who was more consistent and if you compare the stats in madden you would have a more consistent passer in Quinn compared to DA. Also, IRL it may be that they feel Quinn has more upside then DA who has proven to be extremely inconsistent.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 09-27-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:16 AM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
I thought that the reason that the Browns had such a hard time picking a starting QB was because Derek Anderson has a big arm, but Brady Quinn is more accurate. I was playing against the Browns today and checked out Quinn and Anderson, and Quinn is only 2-3 points better in the accuracy ratings. If they were really that close in accuracy I would think that starting Anderson would be an easy choice.

Is there something I'm not seeing here that makes Quinn siginifcantly more accurate than Anderson in-game?
Are you really comparing a real life situation to ratings in a video game?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Are you really comparing a real life situation to ratings in a video game?
I dont see why he shouldnt be able to do this with madden. If madden claims to be the most authentic NFL game ever then this type of debate with the Browns should be noticeable with how each player plays.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #5

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I dont see why he shouldnt be able to do this with madden. If madden claims to be the most authentic NFL game ever then this type of debate with the Browns should be noticeable with how each player plays.
Even if Madden ratings were 100% indicative of the actual real to life player, that still is not enough to compare it to a real life player.

There are a ton of factors in real life that are not a part of Madden going into it, aside from the intangibles (which are the biggest factors) there are things like actual awareness (I know this is a rating, but IMO it is impossible to replicate and is, more often then not, a guessing game (what does it mean anyway?)), intelligence (relative to the QB position), and just overall ability.

And not to seem rude, but I think your answer is a cop out.

We all want the ratings at the end of the day to be as close to real life as possible, and by in large, I think they do an excellent job.

But all they have to go off of is what we see in games. It is really a big guestimation that they have to go through.

How many times through the years have you seen an addition Madden rating be so bad on the high end or the low end it was laughable? I don't know how many years you have been playing Madden, but before there was such a thing as roster updates, this was an extremely regular occurrence. I am sure you can go back at the original ratings from last year and find probably 2 or 3 dozen that are incredibly far off. We have already seen it this year with players.

So yes, as much as we want to believe the ratings are good, and for the most part they are, it is foolish to compare player ratings in Madden to a real life competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Even if Madden ratings were 100% indicative of the actual real to life player, that still is not enough to compare it to a real life player.

There are a ton of factors in real life that are not a part of Madden going into it, aside from the intangibles (which are the biggest factors) there are things like actual awareness (I know this is a rating, but IMO it is impossible to replicate and is, more often then not, a guessing game (what does it mean anyway?)), intelligence (relative to the QB position), and just overall ability.

And not to seem rude, but I think your answer is a cop out.

We all want the ratings at the end of the day to be as close to real life as possible, and by in large, I think they do an excellent job.

But all they have to go off of is what we see in games. It is really a big guestimation that they have to go through.

How many times through the years have you seen an addition Madden rating be so bad on the high end or the low end it was laughable? I don't know how many years you have been playing Madden, but before there was such a thing as roster updates, this was an extremely regular occurrence. I am sure you can go back at the original ratings from last year and find probably 2 or 3 dozen that are incredibly far off. We have already seen it this year with players.

So yes, as much as we want to believe the ratings are good, and for the most part they are, it is foolish to compare player ratings in Madden to a real life competition.
Yes and no.

I will agree that several players are completely off in their ratings. As you said yourself, in the big picture the ratings are excellent. To say that it is foolish to try and make a comparison is a stretch IMO. It depends on the situation you make your comparison in.

It is like using Wikipedia. You know by and large most of the info you find will be spot on or close to. If you want to find some basic info fast then using Wikipedia is a viable source. If you wanted to write a newspaper article on why Quinn is a starter over DA then obviously using madden(madden is Wikipedia) would in that case be foolish.

The OP took a quick look at the ratings and was wondering why the Browns starter Quinn over DA in a forum. I told him what specifically the Browns were looking for IRL with their QBs and the ratings back the decision to start Quinn over DA. To say my answer is a cop out in a forum is again a stretch IMO.

You are correct in saying that madden does nothing to make awareness mean anything while you play(only during simulation). You are also correct to state that the intangibles like leadership and poise are not portrayed in madden as well. I did not try and use those in my answer because I understood those basic facts.

If you were to stop using info because 2-3(maybe even 10) pieces of data were off out of 3000 then that would be foolish in this instance(if it was life or death you want the %s much closer but that is a whole different story) Again it comes back to where and how this info is being used. We are using it in a forum...Not anything official.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #7

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Again it comes back to where and how this info is being used. We are using it in a forum...Not anything official.
I pretty much agree with what you are saying.

My main point is this:

What I understand the ratings to be are a reflection of certain physical attributes, what they have done, and a projection of what they will do.

That last part is why, in my opinion we can't use these ratings as a basis of comparing to them to real life. The coaches know quite a bit more about these players and their potential then anyone else does, and by in large, they keep it a secret (they aren't going to come out and say, "Well Matt Stafford really doesn't have as much potential as we thought").

I also have a slight issue with the physical ratings (though minuscule) I just don't think these ratings are always accurately portrayed.

And yes, you are correct, we are using it in a forum, you guys are free to use ratings for whatever you would like to when discussing real life situations. I felt like giving my reasoning as to why I don't think it makes sense.

But, as you mentioned, you are free to do so.

I will stop derailing this thread.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
MVP

Very valid and respectable points. We shall stop the thread jack now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »