Home

the wilcat is lame

This is a discussion on the wilcat is lame within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: the wilcat is lame

I've never run it myself, but have the damndest time trying to defend it consistently lol.

PSN: Sixty5South
Old 09-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #18
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: the wildcat is lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutt21
If it is a joke then why does it work so well?
I know. The NFL snobs don't want any college type of plays "tainting" the pro game. Heaven help us if innovation is ever used in a game.

The Wildcat will always have an edge in running the ball because there is an extra blocker since the QB is running and not just standing around. Of course the defense can bring up another safety to counter that since guys like Ronnie Brown aren't so good at passing. But a guy like Tebow coming into the NFL could really make it dangerous.

Nobody is saying you have to run the Wildcat all game. Just like teams don't run plays out of the I-formation, double TEs or Shotgun all game long. There is a time and place for every formation. And any system can work if executed well. I do get annoyed that every time the Wildcat doesn't work for Miami people say it's finished. Nothing works well all of the time.

What's the Rush to Kill the Wildcat?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #19

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Engage 8 works well
Not against me.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

I stop 80% of wildcat plays in the backfield... it's not that difficult if you make the right adjustments and send the house.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
MVP

jsquigg's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Engage 8 works well
This works everytime. I call this play and slant my line towards the strongside of the field. I haven't played against the Dolphins yet, though, and they have some strong counters to this I'm sure. Especially if Pat White is at QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashi
I stop 80% of wildcat plays in the backfield... it's not that difficult if you make the right adjustments and send the house.
Auh that would not work on me. To be successful in the wildcat you gotta know how to use your line shifts, and keep the defense off balance and guessing.which i do but I only use it about 7 times a game
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus82
care to share what plays you use to accomplish this? if not your post is useless and a waste of kilobytes
So then essentially, without my responding, your post is also useless and a waste of kilobytes...

Experiment with the 3-4 predator and the 1-5-5. Easier to setup stopping it out of the 3-4 pred, but you're more likely to teach the offense a lesson out of the 1-5-5. I'll leave it at that. If you can't figure it out from there, then your defensive game as a whole probably needs work.

Another tip... part of the potential prowess of the wildcat depends on the speed of your defense. If you have a slower secondary, I wouldn't bother trying to stop the wildcat out of the 1-5-5.

Last edited by Poetique; 09-30-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #24
Banned

[quote=Poetique;2040254732]So then essentially, without my responding, your post is also useless and a waste of kilobytes...

quote]

nope....it was well deserved snark ;-)

Thanks for sharing the info though. I run with the colts and their defense is horrible. All these one size fits all solutions don't work unless you have an exceptional defense. the 1-5-5 isn't reliable with them because they simply miss too many tackles. you need starters on the field, which means they are restricted to traditional defensive fronts. I might give it another shot though.

but its like I said, the main issue is the imbalance that is caused by the wildcat. if your safety or MLB gets blocked to early before getting to the corner its a wrap. If a tackle is broken outside the box its a wrap(for the most part). If your defensive alignment doesn't allow you to have 1 on 1 matches at the point of attack its a wrap.

I can stop the chiefs wildcat using regular man under press out of 4-3. I user the safety and get hit stick tackles in the backfield automatically. for the philly playbook I run over storm brave and pretty much let the cpu do the work.

i wasn't really asking for my sake its just that we might as well act like a community and stop the wildcat abusers

Last edited by marcus82; 09-30-2009 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »