Home

Running Overpowered With Stick Skillz

This is a discussion on Running Overpowered With Stick Skillz within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Rookie

nolan887's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Running Overpowered With Stick Skillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
To Dallas: I can't remeber the last time I saw Felix Jones break 4 tackles lol....
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

check out the plays starting at 3:10 and 4:12
Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

I heard you the first time, cdon2k.

What I was trying to say is I don't believe Felix was the best example for you to try and make your point. Besides being fragile, the guy is a freak and makes defenses look silly. Yeah, he's not a big break tackle guy but he's no slouch at it either.

I think your upset because you can't break tackles with ADP. If you improve your stick skills some, I'm sure you'll be able to use him more effectively. HA
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #19
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

Didn't mean to offend Dal, sorry if I came off that way, and Felix Jones is no slouch either... I would put my stick skills at a little better than average. I usually try to use a scheme to win games, but sometimes that goes out the window when I play guys like this one.

I didn't say that stick skills shouldn't matter. I am just saying that as of now, they matter a bit too much. I believe some are exploiting that by hammering on the right stick while being tackled with players that have decent carry ratings.

Ian said he would like to see someone who coaches football have a chance to compete with a Madden Nation player and while '10 is closer, it's just not near his vision yet. The good news is that this can be patched and running will be nerfed. I DO want to be ineffective with Addai, have you seen him run? A couple of games ago the Colts ran a sweep on 3rd and 1 for goodness sake. It all comes back to players playing like themselves and that's not what I am seeing.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by king525
Madden is a video game last time i checked so if you press a button in the correct timing your player must follow throughout with your commands accordingly. The guy just pressed the right buttons at the right time and broke your tackles i don't get what you want from the developers if the guy has great stick skills.
I think it should improve your chances, not make it automatic.

It is a video game, but one, supposedly, that reflects the players and their abilities. That should still apply, even with stick skills.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #21
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

agreed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I think this is a dilemma of all graphical sports games - how much to 'reward' the user for his own skills vs how much they should be limited by the player they are controlling.

Personally, I agree with you. I shouldn't be able to call a run up the middle vs a 6-man run blitz and make any kind of gain unless I have an awesome line or found the one gap that's open in time.

If Addai can look like Peterson but Peterson looks like a scrub, then I agree, that's too far.

What's the point of controlling elite players in this case?
That's why they have coach mode...for guys that don't want to move the stick and just call plays.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

So essentially what's being discussed is handicapping those with superior stick skills in order to keeps things more even?

That's pretty much bull****, and a big part of the reason Madden is so screwed up as it is. EA's attempts to make the game more "accessible" they call it has left us with an end product that can't really be called sim nor arcade... it's a hybrid. Which obviously helps for "pleasing everyone," except given the fact that EA owns the license alienates those of us who prefer sim Vs. arcade, or the vice versa for other people.

Not to mention at no point in the last decade has running been "too hard." Some people just continuously lack the necessary ability to run well... my overall rushing average for the past 10 years is probably around the 150 yards, 4.5 YPC range (excluding Madden 10 because I'm constantly having 200, 300, 400, and even a 600 yard rushing game and averaging well over 5 YPC (sometimes over 20 YPC, heh).

The player's abilities and the correlation of user using the stick is actually one of the VERY few things that is fine and implemented pretty well. You're all looking at the wrong area to fix the problem. As it stands all that's required to stop someone good on the sticks is calling the right play and not being craptastic with the sticks yourself.

The actual problem with both the running and passing games are EA's very poorly programmed A.I. The players lack a proper transition between stopping a play and giving up a big play. All too often it's either you're getting a first down per play, or getting shut down entirely. Unlike the actual NFL, where you'll have those fights for 4 or less yards on a play.

Running is only overpowered with stick skillz if you're a failure defensively, or are playing Vs. the poorly programmed A.I. Neither or witch make user abilities in the running game overpowered in the slightest.

Last edited by Poetique; 10-10-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #24
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

Heh, you don't think a 600 yard rushing game is overpowered?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »