Home

Madden gameplay solution in regards to player performance and stats (simmed and other

This is a discussion on Madden gameplay solution in regards to player performance and stats (simmed and other within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 10
Madden gameplay solution in regards to player performance and stats (simmed and other

So heres somethign that I have been working on for wuite sometime. I like the fact that this year Madden 10 tries to seperat the studs from the scrubs. What I dont like is inconsistancy in those same ratings that give a player one set of ratings and another player who has the same skill set an entirely different set of ratings because of their performance. Below is something I did with the new #6 roster update. Did some research and it worked awesome for me. Keep in mind what drives me insane is players getting gay ratings because of the situation they are in with regards to the coach and system rather than what they can actually do. Hope this makes sense.

WR Vincent Jackson - ran a avg 4.46 @ the combine in I believe 2005. Yet in madden he has a waaay stupid rating of 70 something for speed and maybe a low to mid 80's ACC. So what donny is saying is TE Benjamin Watson is a faster and more agile athlete than jackson with 86 Speed and 86 ACC when he ran a 4.57 comin out of UGA in the same year? Get outta here!

WR Steve Smith NYG - same deal only now its complicated to understand the logic. Opening day had this dude a 76. His baseline ratings were Spd 87 ACC 89 AG 89. Now its like in the 90's. What changed donny? He hasnt just all the sudden got faster. Comin out of USC he ran a 4.4 time. hes been the same quick player only now hes smarter, more mature and believe or not people do get faster once they get into the NFL. Heres what really deosnt make sense. And this is BEFORE steve smith got the upgrade. revisit the 2007 NFL draft. Heres the top 40 times incomparison to Steve smith. (the times here are gonna be about4.43 to 4.5)

Johnny Lee Higgens WR UTEP - 40 time was 4.48 (4 tenths slower than smith) YET his ratings are Spd 94 ACC 96 AG 93.

Jacoby Jones WR Lane - 40 time was 4.47 (.03 Secs slower) he Has Spd 93 ACC 94 AG 88

Chansi Stucky WR Clemson - 40 Time was 4.61 and he has a ratings SPD 87 ACC 91 AG 90

Craig Davis WR LSU - time was 4.5 Ratings SPD 86 ACC 85 AG

Anthony Gonzalez WR OSU - 4.44 (same) Spd 88 ACC 94 AG 90

Aaron Ross DB texas (bonus) - ran 4.44 (same) his times were 88 SOD 93 ACC and 93 AG

So whats the deal? Look I get that madden 10 wants to differnciate between elite, starters, backups, and fillers. I do I get it. But there are sooooo much more ratings you could do to seperate players. Hard line stats are just that. HARD LINE. Speed, Agility, ACC, Strength, jumping, throwing power, and kick power are all hard line stats. You can kinda improve a little in each (strength maybe a ton) but not a whole ton. They can regress as the player ages but not to the point where they are running as fast as tight ends. Examples are WR Mushin Muhammed who comes in at 70 something speed. No way! (I have seen him out run some good DB's. One against the Dallas secondary this year but it was called back) or how about WR amani Toomer with a 77 SPD and 79 ACC? Hines ward even got the pickle! Look I am not saying this year Donny, but next year this has got to be fixed. The other ratings are what seperate the players. Here is the categories:

QB's
AWR*/Accuracy*(short,med,long,PA,run throw)/ *Elusivenss (pocket movement)/ carry/ ball skills (juke, Stiff arm, spin, Vision)

RB
STR */ AWR / *Ball Skills (Stiff arm, trucking, juke, elusivenss, spin) Vision**, carry**, hands, route.

WR
AWR / Hands **/ Route ***/ Release*** (I would like this to be more of a seperation rating) Ball skills (Stiff arm, trucking, juke, elusivenss, spin) / Vision / carry / stamina

TE AWR / Hands **/ Route ***/ Ball skills (Stiff arm, trucking, juke, elusivenss, spin) / Blocking / Vision / carry / stamina

So on and so forth. Position specific ratings should play out more. As proven time and time again those hard line ratings do not sperate the elite from the not so elite (which in madden it does) if that were the case Hines Ward wouldnt be one of the best year in and year out. I hope all this made sense. its kinda frustrating to go behind the roster update and do these ratings adjustments to get the awesome gameplay this madden can give me. Nothing gainst you donny, as they say in my line of work, " good idea, just bad follow through" Great idea with the ratings adjustments and creating a seperation if you will between the high and low caliber players. Just bad follow through with the consistancy ratings of postions players in relevance to their actual capabilites.

BTW WR T.J Houshmansadah ran a 4.61 @ the combine and while he hasnt fallen to much, in comparison to Brandon Jacobs who ran a 4.56 and marion Barber who ran a 4.53. Here is an error on your drastic progrssion though. With Housh having a speed rating like that (86 SPD 87 ACC 86 AG) and he ran a 40 time of 4.61 in 2001 draft how do you give WR Chris Chambers a Spd 88 ACC 94 87 AG (4.33 40 in 2001) WR Santana Moss Spd 96 ACC 97 AG 97 (4.31 40 in 2001), WR Chad Johnson SPd 93 Acc 95 AG 93 (4.57 40 in 2001), and WR Steve Smith Spd 97 acc 97 AG 98 (4.41 40 in 2001)? Doesnt make a whole bunch of sense. Also keep in mind that WR Reggie Wayne ran a wonderful 4.45 40 time in the same 2001 draft and take a ganders at his ratings. Do you see where the whole postition specific ratings come in? I now digress...fell free to add on.

Last edited by roughneck48; 10-10-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Madden gameplay solution in regards to player performance and stats (simmed and o

I agree.

Why do you not capitalize first names?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Madden gameplay solution in regards to player performance and stats (simmed and o

Quote:
Originally Posted by reziztor
I agree.

Why do you not capitalize first names?
There you go...for the most part. I just type a little fast so I get some things right and a few typos!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

i totally agree that there is no consistency in ratings. one can argue that some of the guys with high speed in game but timed low at the combine, "play fast", meaning that they play faster in the game than on the trackfield. well, isn't that the reason why WRs have ratings for route running and CBs have ratings for awareness and play recognition? Jerry Rice was timed slow at the combine but his route running and instinct for the game left many DBs in the dust. it seems that EA double penalizes them or that ratings like route running or play recognition do not have have the desired effect in game. i think its the latter which tries to compensate for flawed game design. so EA goes with the quick fix and increases the speed to make the game more realistic. i think this also explans the numerous complaints that ratings for the most part do not make a difference and the only thing that matters in Madden is speed.

i think until EA actually gets off its arse and attempts to move lightyears ahead of the previous version in gameplay, rather than the band aid approach that we've had to deal with the last several years, there will be inconsistencies in rating players.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Banned

Currently I am working on a formula that players and roster editors can use to adjust the ratings appropiately. Its pretty good actually. I will even give the sites so you can look up a player. The ratings I look to adjust are the strength / Spd (top end) / ACC (explosion) / Agility / jump.

The events I am using are the:

40 yard (covers the Top end formula) w/10 yard split time (detemines the ACC and explosion.)

3 cone Agility drill (agility and factors in the Acceleration as well)

Vertical (jumping)

Might take me another day to completely figure out the adjustment details but so far its a sweet deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

40 times are overrated. There is a difference between straight line speed and football speed so just because player A ran a 40 .05 seconds faster than player B doesn't make him faster or quicker on the field.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drukman
40 times are overrated. There is a difference between straight line speed and football speed so just because player A ran a 40 .05 seconds faster than player B doesn't make him faster or quicker on the field.
Actually on field speed has more to do with the atheltes ability to move with the ball in correlation with the defenders around him (secondary ratings). You misinterpret what the 40 is used to measure. All the 40 yard time is used to do is measure the top end speed (Speed rating) of a player and the Short explaive burst a player has which is why scouts time the 40 into three splits; a 10 yard, 20 yard and final time. That is partially where you get the Acceleration form. Aside from agility, the three cone drill also measures acceleration. so yea, once you stop looking atthe surface value of the combine events, and see the underlying purpose behind them, its important. Now whats dumb is scouts think the combine is the end all be all to a player when in his pro day he might really reveal his value. So yea, adrian peterson doesnt play football running a forty yard dash all game but his 40 split time does give me a VERY accurate rating for that ALLOWS him to make those awesome cuts and the explosive acceleration through the holes you love so much. It also allows me to get a very acurate hard line raitng for players like WR mohamed massaquoi so he can play to his potential instead of guestimationg what he can do.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Another point is though that players train specifically for the combine and it inflates their numbers. I bet you if you were to take some of the slightly older players(1-2 years removed from the draft) and test their combine stats again they would report back times much lesser then what their combine times were.

Lets not forget the guys who dont have proper form to run a 40 time even after training. Guys who dont do track tend to turn in times that are slower because form is key for combine running but not for football playing. Having proper form can easily decrease your 40 by .1+ seconds.(not exactly sure of the number but it is significant) These guys are still fast football players, they are just slower combine players.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 10-11-2009 at 04:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »