Home

The Run Game!!!

This is a discussion on The Run Game!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #17
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The Run Game!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
I agree with the no sprint in the backfield. No right stick moves though, I have to disagree with that one.

Most of the time, the very first thing I do when the RB gets the handoff is spin or right stick juke left or right because that usually helps to fend off that occasional defender who gets in the backfield too quick because of glitches that sometimes happen on the oline where they will totally ignore defenders who might be blitzing.

Right stick is a must immediately after the handoff for me. More so in NCAA than in Madden because of the high speed, but I still do this in Madden occasionaly to neutralize the missed blocks.
I'm not saying dont use the right stick at all, I was simply implying that you can break tackles and make sharp turns that will make a defender hesitate.
I use the right stick alot but when I'm running a HB Blast play through the middle, you can weave in and out of players without the right stick!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 AM   #18
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
Yea one of the things that changed me from an average runner to a pretty-good one is learning how to change the defenses pursuit angles with my running back. In other words, setting them up for my blockers. Before I hit the outside I will hang inside longer than I used to so the defender will run straight at me, giving my blockers a chace at him before I bounce outside.

I've noticed a huge difference between doing that and bouncing outside as soon as I see the hole.
Good post dude, thats exactly my point!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #19
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktipton87
Also, do you use slide protection often? If so, when and how do you use it?
On occasion I will slide protection, especially if my O line are just gonna push. I will also shift and be more aggressive for a draw play!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #20
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
If you are not going to mess with the sliders, the best advice to give is:
  • Lay off sprint unless you are running away from someone or to the sideline on a break away.
  • Follow your lead blockers, but don't be surprised when they totally fail you, which they will often w/o using custom sliders regardless of using sprint or not.
  • don't give up on the run. call various types. Pitch, sweep, counter, dive. Don't be afraid to run on 2ed down after throwing and in-completion on 1st, or on 3rd when you have o 4 yards to go.
In the end though, Sliders are what really make a difference and the ratings of Linemen don't matter. It's proven.
Ok, dude can you send me a link to this Vid coz your the 5th person to tell me this, and I've searched the web and I cant find this Vid.

Ok, so If it's is what your saying that sliders are all that matter, if you put everything on 0, would that make a difference?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
I liked your list of players to trade for in your Defensive thread, do you have a list of young offensive lineman you would trade for?
I too would like this if it's not too much bother.

Quote:
Also, do you use slide protection often? If so, when and how do you use it?

On occasion I will slide protection, especially if my O line are just gonna push. I will also shift and be more aggressive for a draw play!!!
Another really good question, i mentioned earlier that many threads encouraged to SLIDE protect the OPPOSITE of what your running direction is.

So if im running outside left, you would slide protect right.

Sometimes this works but more often it doesn't

Do you have a view on this?

You mentioned if your 0Line is just gonna push....does that mean say Singleback formation and your running up the gut or any single back play where the RB basically has no lead blocker. Do you then slide protect the side you want to run or what i have a habit of doing is EVERY (could be where im going wrong!) pass play i use the slide protection thats opposite to AGGRESSIVE (cant remember the name for the life of me)

Which is supposed to give you more time in the pocket. Am i not using this feature correctly if on every passing play i do this (which i think is L1/L2?? and Down on the Left stick)

As for Aggressive i always do this if its a run straight up the middle of 1-GOAL say.

Generally i use this feature every down if im rushing left i'l slide protect right

if im running right il slide protect left

(but il also use a man in motion to the im running to as an extra blocker)

if its a pass im attempting i always drop the Oline back for "more time in the pocket"

and if its up the gut i'll use "aggressive"

is there any do's and do nots here, have i over used this feature or is what imdoing correct?

thanks in advance pal

Last edited by vinnycast27; 10-14-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
I liked your list of players to trade for in your Defensive thread, do you have a list of young offensive lineman you would trade for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnycast27
I too would like this if it's not too much bother.
sorry didnt see your new post found here:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...uld-trade.html
Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 55

Great summary!

I have a quick question: When you are being tackled and desire to try to truck through one or more defenders, do you simply hold the R stick in the desired direction, or do you tap it over and over? I've been holding it and having decent results, but I'd like to know the right way to do it.

Another question: How do you properly use spin moves? Do you only use them when engaged with a defender or have you been able to pull them off in the open field? If so, how early are you hitting that button? Every time I try to spin without contact I get the animation cancelled - someone hits me.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #24
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

Quote:
Another really good question, i mentioned earlier that many threads encouraged to SLIDE protect the OPPOSITE of what your running direction is.

So if im running outside left, you would slide protect right.

Sometimes this works but more often it doesn't

Do you have a view on this?
People have been doing this for years, and yes it does work, well it did in previous maddens, but to be honest, I myself have rarely done this as I always choose plays with a blocker, accept for draw plays, and again, yeah, only do it when you don't have a lead blocker.

Quote:
You mentioned if your 0Line is just gonna push....does that mean say Singleback formation and your running up the gut or any single back play where the RB basically has no lead blocker. Do you then slide protect the side you want to run or what i have a habit of doing is EVERY (could be where im going wrong!) pass play i use the slide protection thats opposite to AGGRESSIVE (cant remember the name for the life of me)

Which is supposed to give you more time in the pocket. Am i not using this feature correctly if on every passing play i do this (which i think is L1/L2?? and Down on the Left stick)

As for Aggressive i always do this if its a run straight up the middle of 1-GOAL say.

Generally i use this feature every down if im rushing left i'l slide protect right

if im running right il slide protect left

(but il also use a man in motion to the im running to as an extra blocker)

if its a pass im attempting i always drop the Oline back for "more time in the pocket"

and if its up the gut i'll use "aggressive"

is there any do's and do nots here, have i over used this feature or is what imdoing correct?

thanks in advance pal
The call change at the line is called a pinch, where ur o line back off and soften the rush/pressure, I personally don't like doing this as it give the CPU more space to rush and my O line get beaten easier!!

What your doing is fine, you just have to watch what your doing and remember what works for you and what doesn't. That's what learning playbooks and plays are all about, Don't stop using a play because it didn't work for you on occasion!
My advice to you is go into Practice mode and experiment with plays and different calls at the line.
Try a play 10 to 20 times against the best D Line and see how many times that play comes off for you. You can work out the averages, i.e a play works for you 6 times out of 10 will be 60%, anything over 50% is good, as you have a 50-50 chance of success for that play.
A success full play for me will go for more than 5 yards.

Hope that helps!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »