Home

Franchise Mode Scouting Recommendations?

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode Scouting Recommendations? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Franchise Mode Scouting Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rws591
Does anyone else get annoyed by the fact that you have no clue what round the guys will go in until the draft comes? I think we should have at least some information about what rounds players will go in, such as Day 1, 2, or 3. That would really help in drafting, unless I have completely missed that information.
i did at first, but u have to think about how it works in real life.

there are already people who make projections on where players are gonna go & more than half of them will be wrong. someone will be touted as a top 10 pick now, but will end up getting picked in the 3rd round.

i just wish that the college they go to actually impacts where they would be drafted (or what their ovr would be). big schools like USC, florida state, tennessee, texas etc. sprout out tonnes of first rounders. schools like ball state & abilene christian are lucky if they have guys even drafted.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Franchise Mode Scouting Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid1994
Thats a fine line between is it the players actual potential or is it the teams training or both. I think thats where madden kinda loses the realism in players. You know how good a player will be when you scout him as a rookie.

I live close to cleveland and will use them as an example. You cant tell me they havent had good picks. I feel certain players should have grown into a superstar but because of cleveland he was actually ruined. On the flip side there are still players who played bad in cleveland but moved onto a new team and played like the star they should of been. Take edwards who knows how he will end up but he was supposed to be a star. He was in cleveland then he seemed to slack off. He gets traded to the jets the first game he played there you wouldnt have known he had lead the league for most drop passes before.

I just feel that better scouts should give you a better idea but it shouldnt be so exact. More things should factor into how someone develops.
i agree that more should go into how a player develops, we've seen some coaches turn around some pretty underwhelming players, but better scouting agencies in the game should still have an impact on the quality & accuracy of the talent reports u get - especially when it comes to sleepers.

keep in mind there are still brown players that didnt pan out on other teams as well. courtney brown & gerard warren for example. i guess with so many high draft picks they had to strike gold with at least one of them (edwards - even if his tenure at cle wasnt great).

the broncos drafting has been pretty poor in the latter shanahan years as well. they were great at getting RBs from outta no where, but there were so many misses in the first round. al wilson, dj williams, jay cutler & ryan clady were good, but jarvis moss, george foster, ashley lelie, willie middlebrooks, deltha oneal & marcus nash didnt really pan out. they didnt play that well on other teams either. oneal did okay for the bengals, but he started out as a RB in college and wasnt that great as a cover corner.

look at the lions history: mike williams, roy williams, charles rogers, kevin jones, stockar mcdougile & joey harrington. none have really made the impact that were expected of them. even on other teams (jury's still out on roy williams i guess).

the raiders are another example: russel, micheal huff (both those guys are still young tho), fabian washington, robert gallery, tyler brayton, phillip buchanon & janikowski. now he was a good kicker... but a first round for him?

compare this to teams with good front offices:

ravens: flacco, ngata, mark clayton, suggs, ed reed, todd heap & jamal lewis. the only misses in the last decade was travis taylor & kyle boller.

pats: mayo, merriweather (first few seasons werent great, but he's playing well so far), logan mankins, wilfork, bejnamin watson, ty warren, daniel graham, richard seymour.

chargers: cromartie, merriman, castillo, rivers, LT (this is during AJ Smiths tenure).

this is why i think scouting agencies should have an impact in game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »