Home

What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging?

This is a discussion on What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20
What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging?

Sorry I meant to say a Football Game Challenging

After reading countless post many in here have a different opinions as to what should be done to make a football game challenging.

I feel their are only a few simple aspects as to what should make a football game challenging.

The number one thing should be play calling. Did I call the right play to defeat your play, or vice versa.

Number 2 is players skill level against eachother.

I feel in today's game the A.I is given a boost to perform over their actaul skill level and perform like allpros when they are not, and makes playing the game not feel accurate to a true life experience.

In the NFL all players have good skills and others have extrodinary skills, but everyone is skilled, and to defeat a team is all about the gameplan ,calling the right plays at the right time, and getting your players in postion to win that play and hopefully the game.

I feel if Madden can implement this into their game for Madden 11, it would make the game feel much more natural and more enjoyable to play.

I can go on and on, but I'm sure if you have a true football mind you know how deep my point is. Football is a game of chess, and this reflects from 2 coaches calling plays and who called the right play at the time. We need this in the game, not a boosted up A.I.

What do you think?

Last edited by Tyrant8RDFL; 10-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What aspect do you think should make a Football challenging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
After reading countless post many in here have a different opinions as to what should be done to make a football game challenging.

I feel their are only a few simple aspects as to what should make a football game challenging.

The number one thing should be play calling. Did I call the right play to defeat your play, or vice versa.

Number 2 is players skill level against eachother.

I feel in today's game the A.I is given a boost to perform over their actaul skill level and perform like allpros when they are not, and makes playing the game not feel accurate to a true life experience.

In the NFL all players have good skills and others have extrodinary skills, but everyone is skilled, and to defeat a team is all about the gameplan ,calling the right plays at the right time, and getting your players in postion to win that play and hopefully the game.

I feel if Madden can implement this into their game for Madden 11, it would make the game feel much more natural and more enjoyable to play.

I can go on and on, but I'm sure if you have a true football mind you know how deep my point is. Football is a game of chess, and this reflects from 2 coaches calling plays and who called the right play at the time. We need this in the game, not a boosted up A.I.

What do you think?
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but ultimately I think this is unlikely to happen. My intuition is that the majority of people who play Madden want it to be realistic but easy (e.g., they should be able to win every Super Bowl for 30 years with the Lions, but with realistic stats somehow; otherwise, the game is broken). They don't want to have to work to achieve the results they want because they're lazy (what do you mean Darrelle Revis jumped a curl route and intercepted JaMarcus Russell for a TD? Broken!!!).

The other issue is we don't want to make the game so hard that only a professional NFL coordinator would have a chance at being effective. People want to feel like they'd be good enough to work in the NFL without having to put the work in.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quite easy, gameplan vs gameplan, adjustments vs adjustments, willpower vs willpower. As it is now, madden is about human manipulation vs computer incompetence.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkorean
I agree with you wholeheartedly, but ultimately I think this is unlikely to happen. My intuition is that the majority of people who play Madden want it to be realistic but easy (e.g., they should be able to win every Super Bowl for 30 years with the Lions, but with realistic stats somehow; otherwise, the game is broken). They don't want to have to work to achieve the results they want because they're lazy (what do you mean Darrelle Revis jumped a curl route and intercepted JaMarcus Russell for a TD? Broken!!!).

The other issue is we don't want to make the game so hard that only a professional NFL coordinator would have a chance at being effective. People want to feel like they'd be good enough to work in the NFL without having to put the work in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
Quite easy, gameplan vs gameplan, adjustments vs adjustments, willpower vs willpower. As it is now, madden is about human manipulation vs computer incompetence.
What I read now is a lot of gamers comlaining how this result to a paly wasnt real and it's just juiced up A.I and the game isn't fun that way, and I do agree to a certain point.

I really enjoy a game where I guessed wrong hurt me, not that I called the right play and still the cpu way out of postion was still able to stop me or score. Now if that happens once in a while I would be cool with that just not the majority of the time.

Now this is not towards Madden 10, I'm just saying in general with playing any sports game I want to win cause my play calling was better.

I hate to see when I have 4 blockers on 2 defenders and when I run that way to see it being stopped. The defense pretty much thinks Im running to the right and overloaded that way , but My run is to the left. I feel I made the right call and should get atleast a 4yrd run or better.

Many sports games today just take the lazy route and spice up the A.I to make the game competitve. I want it to be more natural, and if they went this route it would actaully makes things easier for them.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

Now if EA just realized this, and did something about it this game would be gold. Instead, they just take the easy way out making the game harder by improving CPU play. Idiots.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Rookie

z ROCKnROLLA z's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkorean

I agree with you, people say they want a challenge but they really don't, people want the game to be as real as possible and yeah, win every game, I get bored very easily if I win all the time, hence why I haven't finished a full season in 5 years, I always end up picking the worst team with a rating of say 62, then do all trades and I'll be near the mid 80's, and then smash every team and then quit and start a new one with a different team!!!

I must admit madden hasn't beaten me for a long time, I don't know how many years its been but its been a few, I've tried countless sliders, my skill etc etc, and i still haven't lost. My IQ is 740 right now and on my skill the game is totally unrealistic, my game had 8 fumbles, 5 by me? to have all your running sliders on 0 is impossible especially if the CPU's rush D is on 50. I dont wanna play like that, yeah its challenging but not in a good sense!!

For me, I think and as many people have said, madden need's to be rebuilt from scratch, with new ideas, with less attribute ratings!!

I want my challenge to be like this and this is what I expect from a sports game.

Weaker teams should be beaten easily, good teams should be challenging and tough to beat and elite teams should be unbeatable and you will need to strategize and have a game plan to beat them. So what if people who arent good at the game get beaten, thats what sport is about, take out the sliders and the difficulty levels and just have 1 level you have to learn the game and whe nyou get beaten you will learn why!!! I really cant stand people who use ask madden. I'm sorry if i offend those who do, but you should be using beginner as the CPU will choose the play you need rather than you picking a play you don't have a clue what it will do!!! the only way to learn is to pick your own plays and practice them.

I used to love the old school madden mini games, coz that taught u how to play every position, they need to bring that back, that will make bad players better!!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

I suppose you read the thread I started about gameplay issues? I go over this in some detail but yeah, it has a lot to do with play calling and programming proper "schemes" into a football game. I don't think game developers really want to do this. It would take a lot of time but I wish they would do it.

One thing I would like to see is a "real-time" mode for Madden. I would like to actually see substitutions running off and on the field and this actually causing it to take a while to call plays. The old Madden games had this feature, why not put this into the new ones? Some people might complain but you could just put in an option to turn off real-time. But I would love to see a 4th down play and your offense jogs off the field and the kick team jogs onto the field... or when you're on defense and call a dime defense and then watch a a couple of extra defensive backs come into the game. etc...etc... that would be a nice touch.

Of course the most important thing is improving the play calling and deciding which plays work well against certain offenses/defenses and which plays don't work so well against certain offenses/defenses. That is the key to improving gameplay. Right now to get good at this game you just need to understand the game engine and not defenses.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by z ROCKnROLLA z

For me, I think and as many people have said, madden need's to be rebuilt from scratch, with new ideas, with less attribute ratings!!

I want my challenge to be like this and this is what I expect from a sports game.

Weaker teams should be beaten easily, good teams should be challenging and tough to beat and elite teams should be unbeatable and you will need to strategize and have a game plan to beat them. So what if people who arent good at the game get beaten, thats what sport is about, take out the sliders and the difficulty levels and just have 1 level you have to learn the game and whe nyou get beaten you will learn why!!! I really cant stand people who use ask madden. I'm sorry if i offend those who do, but you should be using beginner as the CPU will choose the play you need rather than you picking a play you don't have a clue what it will do!!! the only way to learn is to pick your own plays and practice them.

I used to love the old school madden mini games, coz that taught u how to play every position, they need to bring that back, that will make bad players better!!
Homie you said something here that has been on my mind. Player attribute ratings. That right there I feel is ruining the game. Each position has way to many player attribute ratings, and I feel causes more confusion for the game to perform better than anything else.

On last gen they had way less ratings and the players performed better. Im not saying perfect but better, and in the end made playing the game more enjoyable.

I also question why have a rating for qb accuracy then have a slider for accuracy?
I dont see the point in that.

I feel they really need to simplify things. Scale back on player ratings, and sliders.

I also feel the same way you do about teams. Scrubs should be scrubs , and elite teams should play like elite teams. Lets not have a level where all teams no matter what perform solid.

The higher the level you play the more you should mix up your play calling and understanding the game of football where you know what to call to combat the cpu's play calling. That is what all madden level should be about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRoy
I suppose you read the thread I started about gameplay issues? I go over this in some detail but yeah, it has a lot to do with play calling and programming proper "schemes" into a football game. I don't think game developers really want to do this. It would take a lot of time but I wish they would do it.

One thing I would like to see is a "real-time" mode for Madden. I would like to actually see substitutions running off and on the field and this actually causing it to take a while to call plays. The old Madden games had this feature, why not put this into the new ones? Some people might complain but you could just put in an option to turn off real-time. But I would love to see a 4th down play and your offense jogs off the field and the kick team jogs onto the field... or when you're on defense and call a dime defense and then watch a a couple of extra defensive backs come into the game. etc...etc... that would be a nice touch.

Of course the most important thing is improving the play calling and deciding which plays work well against certain offenses/defenses and which plays don't work so well against certain offenses/defenses. That is the key to improving gameplay. Right now to get good at this game you just need to understand the game engine and not defenses.
That would be a nice sight to see in the game. I agree totally. MLB the show does a great job in that dept, and at the sametime gave us the option to pass right through it by hitting the X button or turning it off on the menu screen. Madden should incorporate this back in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »