Home

Does the defensive matchup tool work well?

This is a discussion on Does the defensive matchup tool work well? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #1

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15
Does the defensive matchup tool work well?

I plan to give it a try and match my top 4 corners with my opponent's top 4 receivers. Does the function work well or is it buggy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Does the defensive matchup tool work well?

If you're gonna use it, assign as many assignments as possible; otherwise you'll end up with linebackers on receivers. I'd go into practice mode and play with it a bit, personally (or try it out in some exhibitions, whichever).

Not necessarily buggy, but it's got the same issues the defensive matchups in previous PS2-era Maddens had, assuming I'm recalling the feature from previous Maddens correctly.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 12

It works just fine I use it all the time. The only issues I find is when I try to use my SS to cover a TE. One of a few things will happen:

1)The SS switches places with a LB, so the LB will play SS assignment on the play and the SS will cover the TE assuming its man coverage.

2)The SS will stay were he is at. BUT, there is the issue that the player may come out with a flipped formation and so the TE is on the weak side so when the ball is snapped the SS will have to run across the field to try and cover him.

CBs covering WRs works perfectly fine from my experience. However, keep this in mind, if the other player is constantly using multiple WR sets and you use a lot of dime and nickle eventually your CB will get tired out so what ever CB is left on the depth chart (your 4th stringer may be?) that is not assigned a player to cover will take his spot covering the #1 WR (assuming the other CBs are on the field covering their respective assigments).

*Actual time may vary.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
It works just fine I use it all the time. The only issues I find is when I try to use my SS to cover a TE. One of a few things will happen:

1)The SS switches places with a LB, so the LB will play SS assignment on the play and the SS will cover the TE assuming its man coverage.

2)The SS will stay were he is at. BUT, there is the issue that the player may come out with a flipped formation and so the TE is on the weak side so when the ball is snapped the SS will have to run across the field to try and cover him.

CBs covering WRs works perfectly fine from my experience. However, keep this in mind, if the other player is constantly using multiple WR sets and you use a lot of dime and nickle eventually your CB will get tired out so what ever CB is left on the depth chart (your 4th stringer may be?) that is not assigned a player to cover will take his spot covering the #1 WR (assuming the other CBs are on the field covering their respective assigments).
you mean to tell me if i play cover 2 man, but have my SS assigned to the TE, he will man up on the TE and a LB will take his deep zone?????? I had no idea and never bothered to make an assignment for a safety, i always assumed he would only take his assignment if his original play assignment was to play man coverage.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk

These were the same problems it had last gen. The swapping of players and assignments for other players. Not fond of it at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

So it sounds like I should be fine as long as I am assigning CBs to WRs.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 21

I only use it to put one CB on one WR. It only affects man coverage, so I usually put the guy with the best man rating on their best WR. I'll also use it to put my fastest CB on their fastest WR, if there's a mis-match otherwise.

I find that anything else does cause problems like having your LB at CB depending on the formation. Once I start giving mulitple assignments, it seems to really take defenders out of position.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »