Home

Ian Cummings interview in GameInformer Magazine (November)

This is a discussion on Ian Cummings interview in GameInformer Magazine (November) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #41
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Ian Cummings interview in GameInformer Magazine (November)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
So if David Ortiz simply switched positions rather than leaving altogether, his slate deserved to be wiped clean and none of his prior efforts taken into account? You have to judge them for what they've done to date. Imo it's silly for people to try to say Ian's '08 hype vids shouldn't be held against him because "he wasn't in charge at the time" or "don't hold what '09 was against him because he wasn't lead director" or something to that effect.

I think that's what a lot of people are tired of - the mentality that the game is in some persistent mode of restarting/rebooting itself and people should patiently tolerate it. Madden '08 was supposed to be the year it turned the corner. Then '09. Now '10. At some point they'll get it right if only because of the law of averages. Personally I don't think the game is horrible; it's obviously improved year after year. But at the bare minimum that's what's supposed to be expected. What shouldn't happen is year after year the game is considered a disappointment. The title is no where near the top sports titles of this generation, and no where near where it should be at this point. What sports game doesn't have custom stadium sounds in this day and age? And people are supposed to keep looking at the situation as "give them [whatever unspecified amount of time] it takes to get situated in their positions before judging them"? If they were truly attempting to reboot the series and start from scratch I'd agree somewhat. But they aren't. This game gets held to such a low standard it's not even funny anymore.
Are you saying with the current leadership it's not headed in the right direction? If you are , you are better at predicting the future than I am. Some consider this game a disappointment this year, I'm not ready for that. I feel the difference between 9 and 10 is substantial and it doesn't bother me if others feel otherwise. I don't compare Madden to other sport titles, never played The Show.

I've seen patience in managers in other businesses, but maybe it doesn't work like that in the video game business.

Last edited by roadman; 10-23-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #42
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40
Why should stats be the deciding factor in progression?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 34

To be fair (I guess), I do believe Ian and co. are trying.

I just believe that this is the best that they are capable of doing.

This is their vision, more or less, of what they want their game to be.

Just read the blogs, of the developers talking about their head to head franchise games.

They are loving this stuff.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
To be fair (I guess), I do believe Ian and co. are trying.

I just believe that this is the best that they are capable of doing.

This is their vision, more or less, of what they want their game to be.

Just read the blogs, of the developers talking about their head to head franchise games.

They are loving this stuff.
I don't know how much fun they're going to have when corporate is screaming bloody murder, wanting to know why sales of Madden are down by double digits...

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 10-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #45
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Why should stats be the deciding factor in progression?
Because that is the only way you can measure a players abilities obviously there are some intangible that you cant see but to my understanding that is what the potential rating is for....So if I have a player rated 89 going into the season with ''A'' potential and he has 2600 receiving yards and 26 TD's then I expect his potential/value to rise a little,just as his value in the NFL or Fantasy football would after a year like that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRanger1
Because that is the only way you can measure a players abilities obviously there are some intangible that you cant see but to my understanding that is what the potential rating is for....So if I have a player rated 89 going into the season with ''A'' potential and he has 2600 receiving yards and 26 TD's then I expect his potential/value to rise a little,just as his value in the NFL or Fantasy football would after a year like that.
If a receiver put up numbers like that, I may be investigating the defensive backs on the teams he played to make sure they weren't throwing games, lmao! Those are sick numbers.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 10-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I still haven't heard anything about players not progressing after being edited in offline Franchise....I edited Colston before I started the franchise and first season he had 2600 receiving yards and 26 TD's and no progression???He started the season with an 89 overall rating and he's only 28 surely that kind of season is worth some sort of points....
While I will agree, the progression system is a weird one. The players progress way too fast the first 2-3 years, and then once they hit the 4th year mark, they stop....regardless of what their potential rating is. It is random though. I've had rookies progress 7 points with an "A" potential w/o ever playing a down the previous season but a 4th year DL with an "A" potential wins DL of the year and he doesn't budge. I don't really understand it. But I can say for a fact that the reason he didn't progress after that superhuman season WAS NOT b/c you edited him before the season started. I edit a ton of players on the Panthers before the season starts, and I see all the ones I edited progress at some point in their careers. So no, editing them isn't the issue....just the random progression system.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #48
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Why because he score 26 TD? How do we know all those numbers wasn't from you catching screens and slant patterns? I don't know how they determine the progression but stats shouldn't be a factor.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »