Home

WR Compete for ball

This is a discussion on WR Compete for ball within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
WR Compete for ball

Is there any way to make WR's compete for the ball on fades/jump balls/deep routes? Just curious because its ridiculous when I play as the Pats and Moss makes no attempt to try to catch the ball on deep routes if there is a DB with him. Not sure if you have to drill the ball to trigger the jump animation or not but throwing the fade just allows the DB to jump in front and knock it down or intercept it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: WR Compete for ball

yh the passing game is stale, and every time i throw the ball deep to Calvin Johnson he does a over the shoulder catch you never do that on a fade route, do the madden Dev know football. so yh you cant compete for he ball you might see some animation for this but it happen very very occasionally.

ea Dev nothing personal but don't you notice these things in the game when you play or just your ignoring it.

other than that madden a good game.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

Unfortunately in madden the DB is always much better at making a play and going to the ball, but in the NFL it's the other way around. The WR seems to run his route regardless of the coverage, and the animations triggered definitely do not factor whether or not they're the only one near the ball.

Hopefully this gets addressed in a patch, or next year...

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think at least for Madden 11 the devs should definitely look into turning rocket catching into a feature, because it's very realistic for very good WRs at least they will go up and go after the ball. Only if it's not unstoppable though and you shouldn't have to drop back 20 yards and do some crazy **** to do it either lol
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3athb4dishonor
I think at least for Madden 11 the devs should definitely look into turning rocket catching into a feature, because it's very realistic for very good WRs at least they will go up and go after the ball. Only if it's not unstoppable though and you shouldn't have to drop back 20 yards and do some crazy **** to do it either lol
there's a tough balance between giving the ability to realistically recreate what a good WR can do in the NFL, and giving the user the ability to cheese a bad WR into an elite receiver.

I agree that the WR's aggressive play towards the ball in the air should be represented in Madden, but it should be a CPU controlled animation that cannot be triggered by the user manually.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Trying to get Ian and his crew to get this kind of animation to do that. I agee that the catching animations need to be more fun to see and not the same old way. But hopefully Ian will take this idea into his noted while making madden 11.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

User catch?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
there's a tough balance between giving the ability to realistically recreate what a good WR can do in the NFL, and giving the user the ability to cheese a bad WR into an elite receiver.

I agree that the WR's aggressive play towards the ball in the air should be represented in Madden, but it should be a CPU controlled animation that cannot be triggered by the user manually.
Yea, I agree that the WR's need to be a TON more aggressive...they need to attack the ball at it's highest point this is a fundamental skill for ANY WR and this is taught at EVERY level, there is nothing more frustrating when I see a DB intercept a ball and the WR does nothing like he doesn't even care. However, Madden just seems to lack any real fundamental aspects of football especially with the WR and DB play.

Also, I think that the animation can be CPU and Manually triggered, but it should all depend on how well these WR can make the catch for instance it should depend on their spectacular catch and catch in traffic rating if they come down with it or not. The problem is that it seems like when an animation (any animation) is manually initiated, it warp speeds the animation giving the user an unfair advantage. They need to slow down the manually initiated animations such as the rocket catch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »