Home

3 1st round picks: What to do with them?

This is a discussion on 3 1st round picks: What to do with them? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
3 1st round picks: What to do with them?

I done aload of trades at the beginning of my 3rd season and have ended up with 3 1st round picks and I'm wondering if I should trade them to get a top quality player in or just keep them.

If traded, my target would of been Nnamdi Asomugha but no matter what package I offer the Raiders, they won't budge. And after looking through possible trade scenerios, the only one that improves my team is one for Troy Polamalu.

The current players that play SS for me at the moment are from previous drafts, one being Tercel Alaeze, who is actually a FS and Marcus Wyns who have both been drafted in the last draft I've just had.

Should I keep the draft picks or trade them away? I ended up trading out of the 1st round in my last draft though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: 3 1st round picks: What to do with them?

Hopefully you have enough cap room to sign all 3 1st round picks if you decide to go that route.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Rookie

That would be the problem, my backup RE will have a nice cap hit of $8.82m next season and my SS that doesn't even make the depth chart will have a cap hit of $7.25m the following season, the plan is to resign them to a 1 year deal and have their contracts expire so they don't count against the cap next season.

I may also go the route of trading two of the first round picks and end up with four 2nd round picks aswell.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Which draft class do you have coming up? Are you in love with any of the prospects? I can think of one draft class I had where I wheeled and dealed to get to ridiculous players in the top 10 that made my offense unstoppable.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Rookie

I've had the Jack English draft and the AJ Cleary draft and from those, I'm set at QB, OL, FB, WR, TE, DE, DT, OLB, MLB and FS. I'm set for HB aswell because I've got Frank Gore there and he kind of broke all rushing records the previous seasons. I'm half set at CB because I've got Nate Clements there along with Donel Williams and Julian Craft, and the only position that looks weak is SS with Marcus Wyns there along with Tercel Alaeze.

I could trade two of the 1st round picks and get four 2nd round picks back and trade my other 1st round pick for Brandon Meriweather or Chris Hope and get a 3rd round pick back in that trade but Meriweather is in the final year of his contract and Chris Hope is 30, he's not really good enough to get at his age.

But if I got Meriweather, would Marcus Wyns and Tercil Alaeze progress as they should do if they are not starting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

I personally would follow the "patriot" way. Enter the draft and unless you really like the player at the spot you are drafting him at...Trade your pick down for multiple picks. The only issue you will run into is madden has a max 10 draft picks per team and you obviously cant trade for next years picks.

I hate to trade away high end picks for less then their value but to stay under the 10 pick limit you will have to. In the end, you will normally get better players for cheaper prices.

Depending on how many other picks you do have, I would look at getting low overall players that could fit a purpose on your team. Meaning trade your 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick and an OL who has 90+ in run block skills but an overall in the 60s(meaning he prob cant pass block but when you are in the goal line set...who wants to pass) or get a pass rushing LB whose overall is in the 60s and use him at DE or sub him into different packages with him blitzing or get a reggie bush type player(extremely good finesse/power running skills but low overall) the examples are endless of players you could sub in and use in specific situations. This will help off set the value lost.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Rookie

Another scenerio has presented itself, I can trade the 3 1st round picks for Nick Mangold. I currently have Eric Heitmann has my center. With my current coaching staff, they would have the same in Run Blocking but Mangold would be 99 in Runblock Footwork while Heitmann would be 95. Heitmann has a 93 in Runblock Strength while Mangold is a 92. Mangold wins out in all the Pass Block catagorys and he's 4 years younger at 27.

And with the Jets forced to pay his bonuses, his salary goes from $5m on the Jets to around $2m on my team. Heitmann only has a year left on his deal but I could release him if I wanted too as he doesn't have any bonuses I need to pay so I wouldn't get a salary cap hit the following season.

This is the one that has caught my attetion the most as everyone along my offensive line is 28 or under except for Heitmann and not only do I improve with Mangold, but get younger aswell.

As for the draft I've got, no idea because I'm in preseason at the moment.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

Unless you have the CPU sign them, they are going to cost a lot.. Did this with the rams and signed them on my own and wow what a hit it was.... I luckily traded 1 first rounder for Kevin Kolb but still a big hit on the cap..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »