Home

DE's and LB's?

This is a discussion on DE's and LB's? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
DE's and LB's?

Why is it that when you take just about any decent outside linebacker and change him to a defensive end his ratings go thru the roof (i.e. switching from 3-4 to 4-3 defense) ?

While switching a highly rated 4-3 defensive end to an outside linebacker causes their ratings to drop to ridiculous levels (i.e. switching from 4-3 to 3-4 defense)?

It certainly makes it difficult to take a 4-3 team and turn them into a 3-4 defense without making numerous roster moves? Now I realize that not every defensive end can make the switch to outside linebacker, but some of the speed-rushing DE's can certainly make that change?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: DE's and LB's?

yeah that bothers me too. I have tried several DE's at linebacker and they just haven't worked out. I think that the only way you could get the switch to work is to search out DE's with high play recognition and zone coverage ratings.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Pro

You know I realized just after my above post that just the other day somebody posted a graph that showed what ratings effect each players overall at different positions the most. I can't find it right now, though, but if you just found DE's that had high ratings in the areas that would boost their overalls at OLB then you would be set.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
You know I realized just after my above post that just the other day somebody posted a graph that showed what ratings effect each players overall at different positions the most. I can't find it right now, though, but if you just found DE's that had high ratings in the areas that would boost their overalls at OLB then you would be set.
I actually have that chart ... looks like speed and finesse moves are the two most important for DE's, while tackle is highest for OLB's, with speed, finesse, power moves, and block shed right behind.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I actually have that chart ... looks like speed and finesse moves are the two most important for DE's, while tackle is highest for OLB's, with speed, finesse, power moves, and block shed right behind.
You would think then that most speed rushers would be high rated at OLB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
You would think then that most speed rushers would be high rated at OLB.
Yea, I would think most speedy DE's in the 245 lb-265 lb range would make a decent transfer to OLB? Oh well .... if it's in the game, it's ???
Old 11-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Pro

IIx Nautica xII's Arena

OVR: 22

Its hard for teams in real life to convert from a 4-3 to a 3-4, so its hard to i the game, although the 3-4 defense is broken anyways so it won't make much of a difference. But taking a good DE and moving him to OLB his overall drops but he still has the same stats and plays the same so i wouldn't worry about it. The only down fall is that unless you constantly rush those converted DE's, they will be eaten alive in pass coverage. I would say to just stick with the 4-3 defense because it is much more effective of a defense.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 12

Most OLBs have a Speed rating in the 80-85 range, while most DEs have a Speed rating in the 70-75 range. Speed is an important stat for DEs, so when you move an OLB with 80+ Speed to DE, his overall is a lot higher because of his speed.

Also, OLBs tend to have a lot better Pursuit, Play Recognition and Coverage skills than DEs, which helps boost their ratings (but not as much as Speed though), and is the reason that many DEs go down when converted to OLB (lack Pursuit, Play Recogntion and Coverage)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »