Home

What Causes Fumbles?

This is a discussion on What Causes Fumbles? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question What Causes Fumbles?

I must be doing something wrong when I run with the ball as I'm getting quite a few fumbles and I don't quite understand why. Just played 1st Quarter with Cowboys vs. Redskins on My Skill Rating and had 3 fumbles, with 3 different guys (Barber, Crayton, and Witten).

When I run after a catch, I typically hold the RT down, and then as soon as I engage, I keep the RT down and hit the Right analog stick up (it's my understanding from the manual that this is how you 'fight for extra yards' with the new ProTak system in place).

Is there something I'm doing that's causing the fumbles? Holding RT down, or using the analog stick?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: What Causes Fumbles?

This depends. Are the carry ratings of your players somewhat low? I know the R-button is for "cover up" to help mitigate fumbles. I know if I don't use this for guys like Mendenhall (60's carry) or my KR Logan they'll fumble pretty often. It is interesting to note that high awareness defenders will go for the strip on low CAR rating players. Polamalu and Farrior do this regularly on their own. If you are controlling a low CAR rating player - be ready for this. You can break ball strip tackles with the cover up button (R-button). Many online players get a little crazy with the ball strips so it is real easy to break tackles.

On defense the LB is the ball strip button. This is not only great to use in traffic, but is great against the pass. If you can get the ball strip animation on a WR who just caught a ball, oftentimes you'll be able to rip it out for an incomplete pass. This really can make zones stronger and tighten up your pass D.

Hitsticks cause fumbles too, especially when hit on the side of your player with the ball exposed, or you just caught a ball.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I have much greater success with the ball strip button than with the hit stick, but that's probably because I'm just not that good with the hit stick.

The ball strip button is a great thing to use in traffic, especially when backs are fighting for extra yardage. If they shake one guy off and you come in and take a swipe, you can get some nice plays that way. This is amplified by the fact that many folks don't utilize the cover up button when running, so they leave themselves vulnerable.

You have to do this when you have help or when you absolutely have to have a chance at a turnover, because it noticeably increases your chance of missing a tackle (as it should).
Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 21

When you're being hit, let off of R2 turbo and press R1 to protect the football. Also, the more special moves you do, the more likely you are to fumble. So limit the jukes/trucks/stiff-arms/spins/jumps to one or maybe two attempts to break a tackle.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
I have much greater success with the ball strip button than with the hit stick, but that's probably because I'm just not that good with the hit stick.

The ball strip button is a great thing to use in traffic, especially when backs are fighting for extra yardage. If they shake one guy off and you come in and take a swipe, you can get some nice plays that way. This is amplified by the fact that many folks don't utilize the cover up button when running, so they leave themselves vulnerable.

You have to do this when you have help or when you absolutely have to have a chance at a turnover, because it noticeably increases your chance of missing a tackle (as it should).
What button does this? Im using a friends copy and i dont have the booklet. Matter of fact we should get a game in sometime anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

I have been playing straight since I posted this and I haven't had a single fumble. I quit using a combination of the RT + Right Analog stick. I am only using one or the other and it seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why the combination results in so many fumbles, but it definitely seems to be problematic.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I have been playing straight since I posted this and I haven't had a single fumble. I quit using a combination of the RT + Right Analog stick. I am only using one or the other and it seems to have solved the problem. Not sure why the combination results in so many fumbles, but it definitely seems to be problematic.
Yea I have better luck with this method.. It seems I'm always late with the cover up bumper..
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by morieeel
Yea I have better luck with this method.. It seems I'm always late with the cover up bumper..
Coverup bumper? Hmmmm..... Oh wow, had no idea that was there! Just checked the control scheme and RB causes the runner to 'Protect Ball'. Dang. I'm a total n00b. heh Did RB do this in previous Maddens?

I wonder if all 3 buttons can register at the same time? RT to run faster, Right Analog to move pile, and RB to protect the ball? I'll have to lab it after I finish this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »