Home

Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09

This is a discussion on Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden 10 sales up 5% over Madden 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheRim
Many new people dont know what bashing means. they just think it means if someone posts anything negative in any thread in the madden section. People need to become smarter

meehhhh.. all i see is people assessing the reality of EA's position right now. while 5% sales increase looks nice on the surface, if you begin to pull back the curtains you realize that it probably isn't a positive indicator of EA's financial health right now. In a normal market a 5% increase would result in more hiring and more projects. clearly this isn't the case as they are going through the second round of layoffs in 2009.

just because the findings of an analysis are negative it does not mean folks are "bashing"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #26
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fact that they mentioned sales are up 5% on PS3 and 360, is an obvious indication that sales are down on every other platform.

Not the most complex marketing rhetoric to see through.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #27
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the fact that they mentioned sales are up 5% on PS3 and 360, is an obvious indication that sales are down on every other platform.

Not the most complex marketing rhetoric to see through.
And we care what sales are like on the other two platforms why? Exactly what does that indicate about the game we are concerned with?

The "other platforms" are Wii and PS2. Who gives a damn?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 21

I saw the October NPD on Pasta's site and NBA2k10's sales are up a whopping 60% over last years.

"NBA 2K10 had a strong showing outselling last year's NBA 2K9 by 60% in its launch month"

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/11/12...sales#comments

I also saw this yesterday:

"Activision announced today that Modern Warfare 2 sold an estimated 4.7 million units in its first 24 hours in North America and the UK alone."

http://playstation.joystiq.com/tag/@ps3/page/2/

I wonder if any of the guys who blamed Madden's and NCAA football's lackluster sales on the lousy economy are still around and care to chime in.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #29
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoefx
The fact of them having better sales is a lot considering early in the release they were so far behind 09. And just because sales are better, doesn't mean they can keep workers...everything else costs loads of money too.
Seems to support the view that the buying public was wary of another Madden this year but based on the quality of this year's edition, reviews, and impressions were swayed to buy the game once it seemed like a safe purchase.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I saw the October NPD on Pasta's site and NBA2k10's sales are up a whopping 60% over last years.

"NBA 2K10 had a strong showing outselling last year's NBA 2K9 by 60% in its launch month"

http://www.pastapadre.com/2009/11/12...sales#comments

I also saw this yesterday:

"Activision announced today that Modern Warfare 2 sold an estimated 4.7 million units in its first 24 hours in North America and the UK alone."

http://playstation.joystiq.com/tag/@ps3/page/2/

I wonder if any of the guys who blamed Madden's and NCAA football's lackluster sales on the lousy economy are still around and care to chime in.
I am. Are you really trying to compare a game that has a two year development cycle vs a game that has a one year development cycle?

Also, let's see how long NBA 2k10 can sustain sales over the long haul vs Madden. Are parents going to buy their children Madden or NBA 2k this holiday season?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I am. Are you really trying to compare a game that has a two year development cycle vs a game that has a one year development cycle?

Also, let's see how long NBA 2k10 can sustain sales over the long haul vs Madden. Are parents going to buy their children Madden or NBA 2k this holiday season?
I don't care how long it took them to make MW2. The 4.7 million copies sold in one day is likely more than Madden will sell from August to February. My only point is, if the economy kept people from buying Madden, then it sure as hell didn't keep them away from MW2.

I'm not going to try answering your 2k10 question. All I know is, 2k10 was up 60% over 2k9 in its launch month, and Madden 10 was down 3% (at least) compared to Madden 09 in its launch month. Those numbers don't lie.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #32
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTheorenHobbes
I don't care how long it took them to make MW2. The 4.7 million copies sold in one day is likely more than Madden will sell from August to February. My only point is, if the economy kept people from buying Madden, then it sure as hell didn't keep them away from MW2.

I'm not going to try answering your 2k10 question. All I know is, 2k10 was up 60% over 2k9 in its launch month, and Madden 10 was down 3% (at least) compared to Madden 09 in its launch month. Those numbers don't lie.
It's only a minor point. All the hype in the news media regarding MW2 was huge, larger than Madden's. I didn't see any articles in our local newspaper regarding Madden's launch, but I saw two different articles regarding MW2 launch, so, yeah, there is a difference whether you care or not how long the process was making MW2.

Also, you can't deny the fact that overall, console software sales declined for 5 months straight. Is that because the games coming out are crappy or the result of the economy? Those numbers don't lie, either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »