Home

A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2

This is a discussion on A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
The store takes the loss on the lower sale prices unless the lower price point comes from EA (and it hasn't since EA is still selling it directly for $60). EA receives the same amount of money they otherwise would.

Maybe I am just stupid, but that doesn't make any sense to me. At least not in the context of that quote.

EA makes no money off used copies, only the store does. Essentially its a standard retail double mark up, but since the consumer is involved people get bent out of shape about it. They pay you $15 for a game then sell it for $45.

The person you were quoting was saying a majority of people will buy a used copy over a new one and save the $15. So while EA has made its profit of the original sale, just about every used copy sold takes away from a new sale.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
Maybe I am just stupid, but that doesn't make any sense to me. At least not in the context of that quote.

EA makes no money off used copies, only the store does. Essentially its a standard retail double mark up, but since the consumer is involved people get bent out of shape about it. They pay you $15 for a game then sell it for $45.

The person you were quoting was saying a majority of people will buy a used copy over a new one and save the $15. So while EA has made its profit of the original sale, just about every used copy sold takes away from a new sale.
Ah, I had misread his post. I thought he was talking about the fact that many stores have lowered the price for new copies of Madden 10. Now I see my error. Apparently I'm having a bad reading comprehension day.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Honestly i don't see why ANYONE trades in games to these stores and gets so little for them when you can easily get 2x as much usually on craigslist. I was trying to buy Madden a week or two ago and people were on there selling them for $40-45 and I know at least one guy got that because I told him i'd take his copy and he said he already sold it.

So how much was the trade in at the store, like $20-25?
I hate to stereotype, but most people I saw trading in copies of M10 were kids. Usually they have no real grasp on the value of a dollar, assuming they bought the game with allowance or it was bought for them. They also generally dont have access to Ebay accounts or Craigslist. So it all comes down to convenience and desire. The store offers them the an instant $15 off the game they want right now, which of course is the most important game in the world.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 9

I don't think its a COMPLETE knock on madden. I think it means that people only have a certain amount of leisure and they know they will devote ALL of their video game leisure to MW2. I know MW1 came out late 07 and I played it ALL the way through until ufc and fight night 4 came out.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #21
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
oh, I forgot about the 5 bones extra for online franchise.
Interesting, didn't know about that, but I haven't even tried online yet. I guess I should try to the code to see if it works. I almost never login to XBox Live when I play Madden due to the Ads that display in offline franchise mode. Hate 'em.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 5

wrong wrong wrong

it does affect EAs sales. if you still don't have a copy of madden why would you pay full price for it. It will definitely reduce the number of retail orders to EA for new copies.

also i'm sure the retailers have the ability to return excess inventory to EA. This happens all the time in the music industry.

in short EA is affected by this.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

You people do realize they have a trade in deal specifically for MW2 and Madden is one of the games on that list right?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 11

BigTig, I like the avatar: Brother Myson(sp?) and Omar...I think I'm going to start watching that again. I have the first season on DVD. Sorry peeps for getting off topic... MW2 is off the chain and MW1 broke records for online play- people WERE still playing it. I don't know what it's going to be like now with MW2's release. Madden has really pissed alot of people off...I still like it though but I only play offline.
NCAA FB: Gamecocks and Tarheels
NCAA BB: Gamecocks and Tarheels

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »