Home

Too Easy to Play on the Road?

This is a discussion on Too Easy to Play on the Road? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 11
Re: Too Easy to Play on the Road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkorean
Yeah, it's really worked out for me. I tend to use MySkill, and not using sprint means I'm getting maybe 4 yards a carry, not 6, so it's not jacking up my fumbles rate.

Some people call it sprint, but I call it turbo. In real life, I just don't believe people have a turbo mode. I just feel like although someone like, say, Chris Johnson can "kick it into another gear," that's already accounted for in his Madden speed rating. Now, if there was a "cruising speed" and "max speed", maybe I wouldn't feel bad sprinting.
I have a house rule that you can only sprint with guys who are 87+ speed with high acceleration....like 90+. That way the guys who really do have second and third gears can still outrun other guys while guys like Fb's and such don't have that. It makes a difference.

I was also thinking about doing some other stuff on the road that I wouldn't normally do, like taking sacks when I would normally throw it away, playing more conservative on third downs. Just to try and simulate the experience.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
I have a house rule that you can only sprint with guys who are 87+ speed with high acceleration....like 90+. That way the guys who really do have second and third gears can still outrun other guys while guys like Fb's and such don't have that. It makes a difference.

I was also thinking about doing some other stuff on the road that I wouldn't normally do, like taking sacks when I would normally throw it away, playing more conservative on third downs. Just to try and simulate the experience.
why not just make your sliders more difficult on the road?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Your on to something here. I've known for a while now that winning on the road is as easy as winning at home on this game. So why not try this when at home. Change your sliders:

-User QB Accuracy -5
-Broken Tackles-5
-WR Catching-5
-Both Defensive Reactions-5
-Tackling-5

This I think would make it more of a challenge. I still hope that they add a 12th man meter like CH2K8 did with the 6th man meter. That thing was awesome!
I use custom sliders that are very touchy. I would be nervous to change them but maybe I will try.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism

It's one of the constant struggles of sim football: how do you simulate a football game from a whole-field perspective when the game actually consists of 22 different individuals with 22 different visual perspectives on every play?

I mean, when we play Madden, we can see when a DE has beaten the LT and is coming straight for us. In real life, there's a reason they call that the QB's blindside. My opinion is that the main source of disconnect between real life and Madden is a problem of perspective. Unless they turn Madden into an 11 on 11 online experience (and frankly, that sounds terrible... I mean really, who wants to be the RG every play?), the simulation is never going to be perfect. The player has too much information, and the CPU overcorrects to combat that.

EDIT: on a side note, I wonder if people actually would play that game: Madden, the MMORPG. Wouldn't work, because there would be too many QBs and not enough RGs, etc.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkorean
It's one of the constant struggles of sim football: how do you simulate a football game from a whole-field perspective when the game actually consists of 22 different individuals with 22 different visual perspectives on every play?

I mean, when we play Madden, we can see when a DE has beaten the LT and is coming straight for us. In real life, there's a reason they call that the QB's blindside. My opinion is that the main source of disconnect between real life and Madden is a problem of perspective. Unless they turn Madden into an 11 on 11 online experience (and frankly, that sounds terrible... I mean really, who wants to be the RG every play?), the simulation is never going to be perfect. The player has too much information, and the CPU overcorrects to combat that.

EDIT: on a side note, I wonder if people actually would play that game: Madden, the MMORPG. Wouldn't work, because there would be too many QBs and not enough RGs, etc.
I agree partly with your post, but it was off topic. Personally I like the view.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Op is dead on. I agree.. there should be tangible differences in experience while playing on the road rather than at home.

I don't want to delve into the causes, but this is one of those things that keeps getting filed further and further away- 'after we fix OL/DL interaction', 'after we fix various online glitches' etc.

It would be cool in big time situations (3rd and long, game on the line) to not be able to audible properly @ NO, or @ SEA, etc.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

In the louder stadiums, you should definitely see more penalties, especially in key situations. Unfortunately penalties don't seem to work at all. I have the sliders turned up to 100 for offsides, and I think I have seen my 1 in 3 seasons with the Cowboys, and it wasn't even Flozel Adams! (hehe). The Cowboys get a LOT of penalties and the game simply can't reflect that right now.

Momentum seems to be overdone in general in Madden, especially when things start going wrong (think Fumbles and miraculous INTs by other team here). Momentum needs toned down, and stadium effects need a bump, and penalties in general simply need to work. Until these things work right, I don't think you'll be able to achieve a valid experience at home, much less when you're on the road.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I agree that I see no difference from home and road games and EA needs to address it.

I disagree however that the turbo button should never be used. It's not abusing your speed or the game to use it, it adds an element of strategy to the game. A RB for example runs one speed when he gets the ball and then another when he hits the hole. Without a turbo then you eliminate the strategic aspect that exists as to when to hit the turbo and when to not run full speed.

It's not adding speed at all either in a sense that it's violating the speed rating. Think of it this way, if a player has 95 speed then when you're not hitting the turbo he's running at 93, when you hit the turbo he's really amping it up and going to 95 speed.

The one flaw in this system is that turbo can be abused in the game in a sense that it can be overused. Most of us who play the game hang onto the turbo button quite a bit. In the game it should be modeled like fatigue is in NBA2k10 where if you abuse it your players genuinely hit the wall and have to go out of the game much quicker.

So I guess my point is that turbo isn't a bad thing, but it's not implemented correctly into the game at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »