Home

What makes up a 34 defense?

This is a discussion on What makes up a 34 defense? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
What makes up a 34 defense?

In my online franchise I have the eagles and am going into the next season. I like the 43 but i use to have more success with the 43. I would like to know where I would need to improve on and with what to make a good 34 D with the eagles.

DLine
RE Trent Cole
DT Broderick Bunkley
LE Darnell Docket

LBs
LOLB Akeem Jordon
MLB Stewart Bradley
MLB (I plan on using my 1st round pick on one.)
ROLB Omar Gaither

CBs
Asante Samuel
Sheldon Brown
Ellis Hobbs
Joselio Hanson

Safeties
FS Ed Reed
SS Quintin Mikell

Please any feedback is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
GO PACK GO

PlatooN's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: What makes up a 34 defense?

When i started playing madden i used the 3-4 for quite some time and just recently switched over to the 4-3. IMO you get much more pressure from the 4-3. It just takes the blitzing LB's too long to get off the snap and the ball is out before they get any where near the QB.

I suggest finding converted DE's or LB's with 90+ acceleration. anything lower is unacceptable
Old 11-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

In the 3-4 to get pressure you really need good 3-4 OLBs. Kamerion wimbly from cleveland or manny lawson from san francisco are both cheap and work well.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL KaRnAgE
In my online franchise I have the eagles and am going into the next season. I like the 43 but i use to have more success with the 43. I would like to know where I would need to improve on and with what to make a good 34 D with the eagles.

DLine
RE Trent Cole
DT Broderick Bunkley
LE Darnell Docket

LBs
LOLB Akeem Jordon
MLB Stewart Bradley
MLB (I plan on using my 1st round pick on one.)
ROLB Omar Gaither

CBs
Asante Samuel
Sheldon Brown
Ellis Hobbs
Joselio Hanson

Safeties
FS Ed Reed
SS Quintin Mikell

Please any feedback is appreciated.
This is kind of a tricky question, as the 3-4 in real life and in madden are two different animals.

For instance, akeem jordan and trent cole don't really fit into a 3-4 (though cole could play standup) in real life, and bunkley is more suited to a 3-4 DE.

In the game however, moving cole to LB would ruin him, and jordan can likely play alright if you keep him inside and in coverage (though he'll be on his back, in theory, taking on guards 1v1). Gaither isn't really a great pass rusher, though he do alright.

You have enough great individual players to run any scheme really.. you'll be a soft 3-4 against the run, but will play fast and get to the QB with ease.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

The benefit of the 3-4 is that the offensive line has no idea which (if any) linebackers are coming at it. That can cause some serious blocking assignment issues in real life.

But for Madden, even the rookies always figure out their blocking assignments. The 3-4 should be resulting in some unimpeded-to-the-QB events with low awareness offensive linemen.

That said, I increase team speed by having the extra linebacker. And speed still does kill in Madden. That, and have you seen what two good DT cost? Even two bad DT costs a lot!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

So you guys are saying, pretty much... If i get two faster OLBs I could make this work? Im working out a deal for Manny Lawson with the 49ers and im prob ganna draft a fast ROLB in draft.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

tavares gooden from baltimore is another lb with good speed who might be worth a look either in the middle or moving outside.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Trent Cole is a little undersized at DE in the 34 and both your OLBs are undersized as well.

Your DE should have good STR and good Power moves. The DEs in the 34 are not as concerned with pass rush as the are with taking up space so the LBs can get a pass rush. they should have good TKL.They play more like DTs in the 43 do. Your DT or NT have to have good needs to be bigger as well. Look at teams like the Steelers Browns or Pats who play the 34. They have big strong DTs.

Your OLBs can be smaller if they have good pass rush skills. You will need to biltz more so these guy need to be able to get to the QB.

DBs can just be what ever style you like to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »