Home

What to do with roster in Chiefs franchise

This is a discussion on What to do with roster in Chiefs franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: What to do with roster in Chiefs franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz1979
So I need to go get my line going through fa and draft,and get safetys and wr te I can take right now wouldnt mind better they have size. Cassell seems to have the tools not sure if im sold im him charles to me isnt a everydown back i need to do a 2 back system like car run the bal throw less. Anymore advice im a bears fan just trying to rebuild the chiefs thanks!!
That's right on all counts, outlaw. Cassel has "A" potential (I think; may be wrong about that) and will reach into the 90's; he's fine. But yes, platoon Charles. If you're using Madden-generated drafts, keep a lookout for a good back to pair him with. I nabbed Jakari Biggs in my '10 draft--took him in the first round. His stamina is only average, so I do use a 2-back system with him and Charles. I also picked up Mike Bell in FA in '10; he's a serviceable #3 back, much like he is now for New Orleans.

I've been hoping, though, to see Jelani Okoye show up in a future draft class. Since he's based on one of my most beloved post-60's Chiefs--Christian, the "Nigerian Nightmare," I'll pretend Jelani is Christian's son, and was drafted by Dad's old NFL team

I like bigger WR's, too; Haley's system uses a lot of slants, short posts, and underneath routes. Bigger WR's break tackles and run for more yardage.

Much has been made in the forums about scouting, but I say use it, and draft like a GM genius. Why not? Even "A" and "B" potential players are usually in the 70's OVR as rookies, and sometimes even lower. So they probably won't start for you for a year or two. But a lot of the fun for me is building what will eventually be a Chiefs powerhouse.

Good luck, and let me know how your Chiefs franchise is going!

Last edited by SalemChief; 12-03-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 7

ohh yeahh okoye was awesome and barry word those were the days. so it looks like chiefs brass are sold on cassel huh just i had heard of them benching him for croyle in the start of the year. so i was thinking of maybe drafting a qb in the later rounds that be a wasted pick. stay with line and rb/wr etc they have cap room to it seems
Old 12-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawz1979
ohh yeahh okoye was awesome and barry word those were the days. so it looks like chiefs brass are sold on cassel huh just i had heard of them benching him for croyle in the start of the year. so i was thinking of maybe drafting a qb in the later rounds that be a wasted pick. stay with line and rb/wr etc they have cap room to it seems
Keep your eye on QB's with high potential who are projected in late rounds. They often start with OVR's in the 60's, but withing two to five years, you can make the decision to bench Cassel, if you want. At the end of the season, I always write down my top 5-10 picks at each position. Then when the draft starts, I quickly note their draft round projection. I draft for all 32 teams, but often sim the picks. I don't get evey player I want, but acceptable second are usually their when it's the Chiefs' turn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

If you're using default rosters you can make a killer trade (as long as it's the first thing you do in your chiefs franchise)...

LG Brian Waters to the Texans for DT Amobi Okyoe, LT Duane Brown, and the Texans' 1st round pick.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Also, I think you can make a trade that is Cassell for Brady Quinn, Alex Mack, and I think it was either a 2nd or 3rd round pick from the Browns.

Once again, that's with default rosters, and it's not "sim".
Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

I got to say the chiefs is my favorite team if you use classes from ncaa get a decent o line here what i going to say why. Put Hali down on the line move dorsey or jackson to dt one hali is not good at lb but for some reason in a 4-3 if you got good talent he a beast. But as soon you get a good o line you are going to be able protect cassel also get someone like a few wrs. Now with all that is you can build a few other picese so good luck.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Rookie

Its interesting to read what you guys have done with the Chiefs in an offline franchise.

I have the Chiefs in a 32 man online franchise and went 11-5 my first season but missed the wildcard by one game.

Here is what I did in my 1st season.

-Chiefs trade 2nd rnd pick for CB Sheldon Brown
-Chiefs signed CB S. Madison
-Chiefs released CB T. Daniels
-Chiefs signed CB Patrick Surtain
-Chiefs signed WR Bobby Wade
-Chiefs trade WR D. Bowe to Rams for 1st and 2nd rnd pick
-Chiefs signed HB E. James
-Chiefs trade MLB D. Johnson to Chargers for LT Marcus McNeill
-Chiefs released R. Succop
-Chiefs signed M. Stover
-Chiefs signed J. Knox
-Chiefs released T. Copper
-Chiefs signed WR M. Harrison

2nd season

-Chiefs trade 1st rnd pick, WR Johnny Knox, and OLB Mike Vrabel to Tampa Bay for TE Kellen Winslow & WR Reggie Williams
-Chiefs trade RE Glenn Dorsey & FS Jarrad Page to Houston for 2nd rnd pick, 3rd rnd pick, and FS Eugene Wilson
-Chiefs trade TE Brent Jenkins & their 5th rnd pick for WR Deon Butler and QB Seneca Wallace
-Chiefs trade 4th rnd pick & DT Tank Tyler to Baltimore for ROLB Antwan Barnes
-Chiefs sign MLB Wesley Woodyard
-Chiefs trade CB Sheldon Brown to the Rams for WR Laurent Robinson & a 3rd rnd pick
-Chiefs trade Matt Cassel to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a 1st rnd pick
-Chiefs trade LG Briant Waters (with TAG) to the Cardinals for LE Kenny Iwebema & LG Trevor Canfield
-Chiefs trade HB Larry Johnson (with TAG) to the Houston Texans for CB Brice McCain, 4th & 5th rnd picks

In my 2nd season I started off the season 3-0 but lost my last 2 and now have a bye week. I look to rebound strong and hopefully make the playoffs this season.

I was also victim of the "draft console" not working via the online franchise website. This means most of my picks went to waste and the picks I traded for also went to waste because they too had the same problem. In short, I only got 2 players that I can use out of the draft and that was QB Tim Tribow and DT Patrick Lopez. When I learned that I was drafted Tim Tribow, I had no choice but to trade Matt Cassel for some value. Tribow's accuracy is horrible but I stand at 3-2 so its not bad. Jamaal Charles was also injured for 3 weeks which is part of the reason why I lost my last two games.

"With TAG" means a Free Agent tag was used on that player. Each team is allowed 5 TAGS for the life of the franchise. Players that are 26, 30, 33, 36 in age are Free Agents at the end of the season. This makes the Free Agent pool in the offseason full of talent and it forces the GM to really manage their team. The only reason I traded LJ is because he was costing me a tag and I had J. Charles who is good enough to start. I trade Waters because he was getting old and I didn't want to waste a TAG on him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

Excellent stuff, jerseymadden. Great read; good luck in your current online season.

In my offline franchise, the Chiefs are going to the Super Bowl!!!

After a 14-2 season, the Chiefs edge the Titans in a pass-fest, 34-27. In the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead, Matt Cassel finally got the NE monkey off his back in a 36-17 drubbing of the Patriots, in which Tom Brady threw 2 interceptions and was sacked 5 times. Tyson Jackson had 2 sacks, DT Kelly Gregg had 1, and NFL rookie of the year WLB Alonzo Darby had two and one INT.

Superbowl XLVI: Chiefs versus Packers--a rematch of the first Super Bowl, 46 years prior. Outstanding!!!

I'm actually nervous--first time I've had that feeling playing Madden in years...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »