Home

Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter?

This is a discussion on Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Is it true that offensive line ratings do not matter?

I will have to add that I've seen some punters serving on the O-line for the computer, and they block better than they should. They were easy to exploit, especially with blitzes with blitzes, but it wasn't like you could ragdoll them on EVERY play.

You would think Madden AI would plug in a FB or a defensive lineman to block before going to the punter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

If you're playing offline games against the CPU, you're probably not going to see much of a difference.

Play against a human opponent, though -- especially one who user blitzes -- and it becomes very obvious that the line ratings matter.

That said, the actual pass block/run block ratings are just as useless as a player's overall rating because they're both based on formulas.

What really matters are the impact blocking and the footwork/strength ratings.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
If you're playing offline games against the CPU, you're probably not going to see much of a difference.

Play against a human opponent, though -- especially one who user blitzes -- and it becomes very obvious that the line ratings matter.

That said, the actual pass block/run block ratings are just as useless as a player's overall rating because they're both based on formulas.

What really matters are the impact blocking and the footwork/strength ratings.
I think RBS (run block strength) and RBF (run block footwork) + Impact blocking are the ratings that matter in terms of how you run the ball. High RBS and Impact blocking but medicore to low RBF = run dives. High RBF = good for counters and powers.

Pass Block strength and footwork I am not sure though. Guys just tend to get beat against the pass regardless IMO.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I think RBS (run block strength) and RBF (run block footwork) + Impact blocking are the ratings that matter in terms of how you run the ball. High RBS and Impact blocking but medicore to low RBF = run dives. High RBF = good for counters and powers.
Goodness, I'm going to have to look at my OLs all different now.

This is great info.

I knew there was a difference between dives/outside runs - but I was thinking SPD/ACC more than RBF.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Goodness, I'm going to have to look at my OLs all different now.

This is great info.

I knew there was a difference between dives/outside runs - but I was thinking SPD/ACC more than RBF.
Well don't take it as a hard thing. I'm still seeing some randomness I'm still trying to figure out how all of this stuff works together because a lot of things here are just not adding up. Let me give you a match up example.

Jared Gaither vs Brett Keisel

RBS = 90....... PMV = 80
RBF = 81 ....... FMV = 56
IB = 81 ........ BSH = 87

Keisel is whipping Gaither left and right and I don't understand it one bit.

Going by their other ratings.

Gaither Awr = 74
Keisel Awr = 91

Is awareness trumping in this case, if so that sucks.

Gaither Strength = 92
Keisel = 87

What gives. I'm running a simple dive and Keisel is whipping Gaither with FINESSE Moves - Swim move - finesse and he whips him every time with it yet Keisel finesse move is a 56. Stuff like this makes things appear very random.

On the other hand if Grubbs picks him up, Grubbs seems to always neutralize him and seal him out of the play. But Grubbs AWR is about the same as Gaither. His RBS is higher than Gaither. His RBF and IB are both higher too. Grubbs even handles Hampton but Birk gets destroyed. Don't get it.

Last edited by LBzrule; 12-30-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 55

From what I understand, block shedding is the only rating that applies when it's a run play. Power and Finesse moves only apply during a pass play. If so, that could explain how Keisel is competing so well against the run. Also, it can depend what the defense is calling = slanting their line or whatever.

There's supposed to be some randomness. It's not cut and dry who wins and loses every play based solely on ratings.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 12-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
From what I understand, block shedding is the only rating that applies when it's a run play. Power and Finesse moves only apply during a pass play. If so, that could explain how Keisel is competing so well against the run. Also, it can depend what the defense is calling = slanting their line or whatever.

There's supposed to be some randomness. It's not cut and dry who wins and loses every play based solely on ratings.
Yeah I get that, but even against the pass Keisel dominates Gaither and Gaither has 90 Pass block strength and footwork. If Gaither actually won once it wouldn't be a problem, but Keisel is winning every time. And I think those moves apply during run plays as well. Keisel is beating him with a swim move.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Yeah I get that, but even against the pass Keisel dominates Gaither and Gaither has 90 Pass block strength and footwork. If Gaither actually won once it wouldn't be a problem, but Keisel is winning every time. And I think those moves apply during run plays as well. Keisel is beating him with a swim move.
Interesting. I can say this: I notice that my OL isn't very aware when people blitz me. I get mad heat all the time, especially from good finesse move rushers.

It's hard to relate to someone elses' account, so I can only go by what I've seen. I do know that all these ratings matter. When manually rushing with Harrison I've run the gamut of different OT's. Against the best OT's, they've gotten me into a slow move/pancake/stalemate far more than bad OT's. The difference is there.

For the record, I've personally never seen Casey Hampton ever get pressure like you've described. In fact, I've rarely seen that guy ever get a sack... maybe 3... ever.

I guess overall I just don't see the problems others see. Do I see stupid stuff? Yes. Do I expect perfect realism like I used to? No. I just look for a big picture view of what is going on and when looking from that perspective, I'm not bothered by the blocking.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »