Home

4-3 or 3-4?

This is a discussion on 4-3 or 3-4? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 32
4-3 or 3-4?

Which is better post-patch and why?
Washington Capitals
Washington Nationals

R.I.P. #21
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: 4-3 or 3-4?

I've personally started using the multiple D package so that I have both to choose from. I genenerally prefer to try to play a 3-4 if I think a pass is coming and the 4-3 if I need to stop the run. I just don't feel like I get any rush from my D-line so I figure having the extra LB in coverage in the 3-4 helps against the pass.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Rookie

celetheo's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetter21
I've personally started using the multiple D package so that I have both to choose from. I genenerally prefer to try to play a 3-4 if I think a pass is coming and the 4-3 if I need to stop the run. I just don't feel like I get any rush from my D-line so I figure having the extra LB in coverage in the 3-4 helps against the pass.
I agree but personally have been switching between the 3-4 if I expect a pass and the 46 for a sure run.. If you get your opponent to 3rd and long get into the 3-2-6 and switch up blitzing and non-blitzing plays..you will be doing some damage defensively..

The Jets playbook (Ryan) is good for defense..has a ton of 3-4 plays and is a lot more aggressive playbook especially with the 3-2-6 bringing pressure off the edges..
Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by celetheo
I agree but personally have been switching between the 3-4 if I expect a pass and the 46 for a sure run.. If you get your opponent to 3rd and long get into the 3-2-6 and switch up blitzing and non-blitzing plays..you will be doing some damage defensively..

The Jets playbook (Ryan) is good for defense..has a ton of 3-4 plays and is a lot more aggressive playbook especially with the 3-2-6 bringing pressure off the edges..
I'll have to try that, since I feel like no matter what I've tried so far it has been near impossible to pressure the QB's.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 32

Also, with thee new patch its suppose to help with sacks right? I have zero! Do y'all have any tips?
Washington Capitals
Washington Nationals

R.I.P. #21
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 12

I like the 4-3 because I can't get any pressure on the QB in the 3-4. My theory is that in the 3-4 the CPU QB sees the LB blitzing and goes into a "Panic Mode" trying to get rid of the pass quickly against the blitz. It doesn't register that there are only 4 pass rushers, just that there is a blitzing LB. In the 4-3 you can get the 4 pass rushers without blitzing a LB so the CPU QB seems to hold on to the ball more because it doesn't see a LB blitzing.

I once had a game (Cowboys vs. Raiders) where I broke the single game sack record with Demarcus Ware, but I had moved him to a 4-3 DE instead of a 3-4 OLB. He's down in a 3-point stance and blitzes 90% of the time, so I figured I would make pass rushing his full time job. Sadly, the announcers didn't even recognize that D. Ware broke the record, they were more concerned with how we had 10 sacks as a team (Jay Ratliff had 2) than that Ware had 8 by himself. There was a little banner at the bottom that mentioned it, but nothing from Hammond/Collinsworth.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Rookie

Tylerazevedo's Arena

OVR: 2

It depends on the personnel of the D. I generally try to build teams towards a 3-4 since it's easier to disguise blitzes and you can blitz almost every play. But for a 3-4 to work you have to have 3 good D linemen. DE's need AT LEAST 85 strength and DT's need AT LEAST 95 strength. Also DE's should have AT LEAST 70 speed as well. The DT speed isn't important since he's just supposed to eat up blockers.
}
Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Rookie

spfhelmiii's Arena

OVR: 5

I run a 3-4 with the 49ers, but the majority of my pressure comes from my defensive line (my NT alone has over 10 sacks). I rarely, if ever, get sacks from my OLBs. They normally only get sacks when I have them lined up in a nickle or linebacker pass-rushing set.

So I think it does really depend on your personnel, though I feel like my 3-4 OLBs are disfavored... the same players seem much more effective with one hand on the ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »