Home

what's a realistic number of broken tackles?

This is a discussion on what's a realistic number of broken tackles? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
what's a realistic number of broken tackles?

hi.

it's hard tracking down this stat on the net. the few numbers i've seen don't look from official sources and frankly look dubious (i find it hard to believe that the best backs in the league only average two broken tackles per game, for example).

what would say is an average number of broken tackles per game per runner? say 25 carries.

give me a number for a good starting back and then one for an elite guy like Turner who seems to be able to bust through more.

i'm asking for a realistic real-world average here, not what you get on your sliders.

thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: what's a realistic number of broken tackles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmetalbooze
hi.

it's hard tracking down this stat on the net. the few numbers i've seen don't look from official sources and frankly look dubious (i find it hard to believe that the best backs in the league only average two broken tackles per game, for example).

what would say is an average number of broken tackles per game per runner? say 25 carries.

give me a number for a good starting back and then one for an elite guy like Turner who seems to be able to bust through more.

i'm asking for a realistic real-world average here, not what you get on your sliders.

thanks.

I don't have the answer, been trying to find this off and on myself, but it would depend on what you'd consider a broken tackle.

I would find it reasonable that even the best backs could break only a couple tackles a game on average if they mean that the back is totally engaged with the tackler (i.e. solid contact/wrapped up) and the back still got away.

If it's counting where the back just runs past defenders making out of position grabs (arm tackles and the like) then yeah it would be far higher, but to me, that's avoiding a possible tackle, not breaking one that's in progress.

Incidentally, I think that's how Madden looks at it with its broken tackle stat. A lot of times I think I or the AI's back is "breaking tackles" then after the game neither back has more than 3 broken tackles recorded.

BTW, I don't think the average running back gets 25 carries a game. That would be 400 a season, which would currently be the 6th highest total in NFL history for a single season.

Last edited by KBLover; 01-12-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

23.2 was the highest carries per game of any back this season in real life. there were only 4 to average over 20, only 20 over 15 and only 39 over 10. I would say for a guy who is the primary feature back 20 is probably about average but with a team where carries are shared probably closer to 15
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

i agree. simming a season i typically saw the highest rb with 60+ btk, and a couple more in the 50 range... so the only way that's feasible, is that has to be 'causing a mistackle' and not really a 'broken' tackle.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well, since the Seahawks runners never break tackles, I wouldn't know.

On a serious note, it's a good question, but I don't know the answer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
Rookie

ok, thanks for the feedback and i don't want to turn this into a discussion of realitic number of carries as that's easy to find out.

how many tackles do YOU break per game? what minute quarters and with who?

do you notice a big difference with power back? i don't, but maybe i'm not using them right (not like it's rocket science though).

what break tackle and tackle sliders do you feel give results?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

For teams that have power backs, it's not uncommon for them to break a tackle on almost every single play. But that's hard to replicate in Madden because there are no arm tackles and such.

Watch Steven Jackson or MJD play, all of their yards are after first hit.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Rookie

http://profootballfocus.com/by_posit...=25&numgames=1

Column "MT" is Tackles avoided/broken.

Looks like the average is somewhere in the 20s for the entire season for one player. Adrian Peterson has the most with 50. It's a pretty subjective stat if you think about it though. (These are not official stats, but I feel the guys over at ProFootballFocus do a pretty good job analyzing games.)

Last edited by Ovie; 01-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »