Home

Pass Defense vs cpu is horrible

This is a discussion on Pass Defense vs cpu is horrible within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Pass Defense vs cpu is horrible

is it just me or can anybody else not stop the pass... i always have the best run defense with the worse pass defense offline in franchise on all madden... man to man... zone... blitz... cover 2 nothing works the qb always finds somebody thats open
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Pass Defense vs cpu is horrible

Make sure your pass reaction time is set between 45-60.

Most slider sets seem to suggest using 25 or less... Which indeed makes the game more challenging, but only because your defenders play nowhere close to how they should, which is the wrong way of making things more challenging imo.

I think my Pass Reaction is set to 52, which generally gives me accurate results. Occasionally a few QBs break loose Vs. my defense, but usually only the ones that should have a chance at doing so (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc). Even then, "breaking loose" means getting 200-250 yards. I don't see many 300+ yard games out of the CPU unless I've made critical mistakes (usually due to the craptastic controls...). I'm considering moving it up a tad but I have to see how 52 works for 4 or 5 more games.

I have Revis & the Cromarties (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie & Antonio Cromartie) in my secondary, so I also see a couple of games where it might be the 3rd or 4th quarter before the opposing QB sees 100 yards.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

the problem i have always noticed in my franchise was that when you put together a good defense the CPU translates this not by your defensive backs playin good coverage and the quarterback having to throw the ball 10 feet over the receivers head to avoid a sack.... no the CPU translates this by the quarterback picking apart your defense and then your star cornerback making some kind of crazy interception and takin it back for 6... i had one of the best corners in the league out of a draft class and thats how he locked his man down the guy would still have 5 catches but the corner would have 2 or 3 interceptions lol and thats not football
Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

***the other problem is that the CPU defense can simultaneously read all 4/5 options and throw to whoever is open
Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

I routinely get shredded through the air by both the CPU and human opponents (offline). It's rare that I don't let up 250-300+ yds per game. :-/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Key to stopping the pass is getting a good pass rush. I suggest playing with custom sliders to help you get a more balanced game.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I think 52 pass reaction is too high. I have mine at 40 and one team has Revis, D R Cromartie and Finnegan, and they shut down the passing game pretty well. Revis is playiing like the real Revis (shutting down even the top WR) and made a realistic looking INT in his last game.

My pass rush isn't always great, but the pass defense is doing a good job overall. Usually it's Finnegan getting attacked.

At 52 - I was getting too many INTs, even with a low INT slider and the weaker DBs on my other teams were playing too well.

I do think 25 is too low, especially for man coverage.

QB accuracy (both the slider and the ratings) is another factor - as is WR catching (helps determine how much separation a WR gets in man coverage and how he goes after/holds on to the ball in general).

Like Valdarez said, pass rush can be your best weapon. Even the best QBs need time to throw and even the mediocre QBs can shred you if they get time to throw. Just like in real life, if you can get pressure with just your front 4 (i.e. no blitzing) then you're in much better shape. If you have to blitz, it can get more tricky, but sometimes that's the only way you can shake up the QB.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I routinely struggle in pass defense and I can't put a finger on why. It doesn't seem like Robo-QB AT ALL and I can generate pressure/sacks. It just seems I get beat a lot over the middle and crossing routes of course.

I don't know if this would solve the problem, but I always felt the DBs need more deflection animations. I see some that are really good, but I don't see them often enough. They need to get their hand in their more and not by way of the flying swat animations!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »