Home

Player Model Sizes too Small in Madden 10?

This is a discussion on Player Model Sizes too Small in Madden 10? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Player Model Sizes too Small in Madden 10?

Hmm... It seems like the field might be on the wide side more than the players being too small.

Actually, when I compare the Broadcast cam (the cam I play on) with the actual TV image, I think the field is too wide/big AND the players are too small.

There looks like a TON of space between the numbers on the near sideline in the Broadcast view than in the real life TV view.

Yeah, I think that's it, the field is too wide as well as the players being too small. On the NFL shot, all the players fit in the camera view because most of the field does. In the Broadcast cam, the field extends off the camera - and if the NFL shot is zoomed in and STILL fits most of the field in it...and the Broadcast cam is zoomed out more and still "misses" some of the field...that seems to show the field is too wide for sure.

I also thing this explain some of the warping and such - maybe the programmers KNOW this so they have to compensate because players have too much ground to cover. Also makes the game too wide open. There's fewer of the tight spaces/small windows/traffic that's in the real game. It's like when hockey is played 4 on 4 - it gets more wide open and offensive oriented. It's like Madden plays "4 on 4" but the NFL is "5 on 5".

If the field were smaller and the players larger, there would be less space to cover so no "tricks" would be needed to cover ground. Angles would probably be better because there's less room for them to be off (as everything would be closer together).

Last edited by KBLover; 01-28-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

Can't see the pics anymore.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #27
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I think Ian nailed it on the head. He said the shot on the TV is from the Press Box, and zoomed in from there. We aren't able to get a press box shot from a replay, instead we are left to try to emulate it from the sideline, hence the fish eye view making the field appear wider.

The players still 'feel' smaller to me, but that could simply be the camera view.
Now my question to Ian Cummings would be, why not? Why can't you get a Press Box shot zoomed in?
I would think EA/Tiburon could find a way to get into a pressbox.

It would be sweet to see the Press Box shot zoomed in, for Broadcast Cam in Madden 11. Or at least a camera option like this for spectate mode.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #28
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
It would be sweet to see the Press Box shot zoomed in, for Broadcast Cam in Madden 11. Or at least a camera option like this for spectate mode.
That would be nice - as long as they have another wide view to play on.

I'm liking the zoomed out view - really helps see plays develop. I might have to give up on broadcast mode to play on if it were zoomed like that (good luck passing anyway)

Make Broadcast like the TV cam and bring back the "Long" view (I think that's what it was called).
Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Hmm... It seems like the field might be on the wide side more than the players being too small.

Actually, when I compare the Broadcast cam (the cam I play on) with the actual TV image, I think the field is too wide/big AND the players are too small.

There looks like a TON of space between the numbers on the near sideline in the Broadcast view than in the real life TV view.

Yeah, I think that's it, the field is too wide as well as the players being too small. On the NFL shot, all the players fit in the camera view because most of the field does. In the Broadcast cam, the field extends off the camera - and if the NFL shot is zoomed in and STILL fits most of the field in it...and the Broadcast cam is zoomed out more and still "misses" some of the field...that seems to show the field is too wide for sure.

I also thing this explain some of the warping and such - maybe the programmers KNOW this so they have to compensate because players have too much ground to cover. Also makes the game too wide open. There's fewer of the tight spaces/small windows/traffic that's in the real game. It's like when hockey is played 4 on 4 - it gets more wide open and offensive oriented. It's like Madden plays "4 on 4" but the NFL is "5 on 5".

If the field were smaller and the players larger, there would be less space to cover so no "tricks" would be needed to cover ground. Angles would probably be better because there's less room for them to be off (as everything would be closer together).

Really?... I've always thought that the field was too small, and as a result, players could cover more ground than their real life counter-parts (i.e. a single LB or DB being able to cover 3 receivers at the same time)

#GoPackGo
Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
Really?... I've always thought that the field was too small, and as a result, players could cover more ground than their real life counter-parts (i.e. a single LB or DB being able to cover 3 receivers at the same time)
I think part of that might be the routes on pass plays. I picked off a pass in a game earlier today because Lewis could cover 2 receivers. Thing is, one was a hook by the RB and the Slot WR was coming across the middle. Why did they create a play with two WR in the same area like that? Lewis was just sitting in a zone and the HB and WR were like 3 yds apart and he was just sitting in the middle.

And I wonder if they could do that if players moved realistically at all times.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 AM   #31
Pro

OVR: 9

that's a good point. I think another part of it could be how every defensive player in coverage seems to react immediately to the ball once it's thrown. i.e. you'll have a WR running a flag route behind the corner and out in front of the safety, and yet the corner, safety and sometimes even the nickel-back or outside linebacker will all get there to break the pass up before it even gets to your receiver.

if the player's head isn't turned and can't see the ball, then he shouldn't react to it. so much for that "procedural awareness" feature or whatever it was.

all that said, i still think the field is too small

#GoPackGo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #32
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
Definitely not in Madden. In APF2K8 the field is actually too small width wise (I measured it). Haven't measured Madden, but I like how the field feels big. What I don't like is how small the players appear. Makes me feel like I'm not part of the action. Hopefully Madden can put us closer to the action like APF2K8 did, especially since their models look better. If they put us closer to the action, and fix their rendering problems so the game plays fluid, then Madden would look (not play, but look) amazing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »