Home

Madden 11 the year of the Casual Gamer?

This is a discussion on Madden 11 the year of the Casual Gamer? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Madden 11 the year of the Casual Gamer?

I wonder what you guys would say if I said I‘m starting to believe Madden 11 is going to have more of a focus on the casual gamer because of the release of Backbreaker.

Here is what I mean:

The developers of Backbreaker are from lace England and appear to have limited knowledge of football strategy from what I’ve seen and read on their site. Because of this, I read they are going for a simpler game with easier controls to try to win over gamers that are intimidated by all the adjustments a game like Madden has.

EA in return has shown early indications of going after casual gamers as well by hiring Mark Turmell who I read feels Madden is overwhelming for casual gamers and he wants to make the game easier to pick up and play.

It makes me concerned Madden will be “dumbed down”, or may cause EA to rethink adding more things like wr shading and such that will only complicate the game further if it will cost them gamers to Backbreaker . What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Madden 11 the year of the Casual Gamer?

Why fear?

Madden doesn't sell Madden. The NFL does.

They got the NFL, BB doesn't.

Game. Set. Match.

Madden 11 could be nothing more than a video of the dev team making out with each other and BB could be god's gift to gaming and it'd probably outsell BB 4:1.

Of course this is a dramatic over exagerration, but you get my point.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I don't believe it will happen.

Why try to go in one direction(towards sim) with Madden 10 and then towards the opposite direction with Madden 11.

It doesn't make sense at all.

Turmell is just the "Creative Director." His job description is probably to come up with alternative ideas(not always arcade ideas) and bounce them off Phil and Ian who more or less are the final decision makers.

I think people are pushing the panic button way to early on the hiring of Turmell and trying to connect the dots and hope they all align in a straight line.

I wish Ian would do a blog on Turmell during the SB instead of gameplay. Maybe he would put peoples fears to rest.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I wish Ian would do a blog on Turmell during the SB instead of gameplay. Maybe he would put peoples fears to rest.
Don't let your frustration get the best of you!! J/K. But let the worry-warts worry...don't waste a blog on trying to calm their fears. Give me the juice!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Why try to go in one direction(towards sim) with Madden 10 and then towards the opposite direction with Madden 11.
Isn't that pretty much how all the old Maddens went (at least on the PC)?

One version would add something. Next version, it was gone and they added something else. Next version, that something else was gone and it back to the first version with something else.

There wasn't a consistent building on things.

Heck 09/10 was like this (arguably).

Not saying 11 will be the same way, but it's not totally impossible for it to be another shift. I wouldn't "worry" over it, but I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Isn't that pretty much how all the old Maddens went (at least on the PC)?

One version would add something. Next version, it was gone and they added something else. Next version, that something else was gone and it back to the first version with something else.

There wasn't a consistent building on things.

Heck 09/10 was like this (arguably).

Not saying 11 will be the same way, but it's not totally impossible for it to be another shift. I wouldn't "worry" over it, but I wouldn't totally dismiss the possibility either.
Well, I wouldn't dismiss as easily, but Ian is one of the people in charge. It's hard for me knowing the direction that 10 took from 09 to dismiss Ian's words as well.

He has stated this year he is still on the sim track on Twitter.

Found the post that AJ had with Ian on Twitter. It's your own prerogative if you don't want to take Ian's word.

Had the following exchange with Ian over Twitter. Take it for what it's worth. I don't know whether or not I'll be as "in the loop" as I was last year (hell, I'm not even sure if there's gonna be a Community Day), but I don't think Ian would have addressed my statement if he didn't mean what he said.

Me- @ian_cummings I'm sorry, dude, but all these new guys at EA are talking the same lines that David Ortiz did. It is not heartening at all.

Ian- @adembroski a guy plays his first game of Madden prob throws 6 picks. A guy playing forever = breaks controller after AI bug. All big probs.

Ian- @adembroski difference with Turmell/me is that solution to those probs isn't a feature set. Smart football AI solves it all.

Ian- @adembroski we both know training drills or tests aren't the answer. Great football AI, great tuning, no bugs, high polish ... Those are.

Me- @ian_cummings I already know YOU get it. You sound like you're saying Turmell does too, so I'll trust you.

Ian- @adembroski definitely. He is a legend dude! SmashTV!!!

Last edited by roadman; 01-29-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
Why fear?

Madden doesn't sell Madden. The NFL does.

They got the NFL, BB doesn't.

Game. Set. Match.

Madden 11 could be nothing more than a video of the dev team making out with each other and BB could be god's gift to gaming and it'd probably outsell BB 4:1.

Of course this is a dramatic over exagerration, but you get my point.

Believe me, I am not delusional enough to think Backbreaker will be in the same league as madden sales wise although I really hope it does well. Games developers in general all just seem to be coveting the casual gamer market. (PS3/360 trying to get Wii customer base for another example)

Reading about the suits at EA being disappointed with the initial Madden 10 sales, a hiring of a guy whose first statement is towards the casual market and now a competitor going after those same sales might make them decide to go the other direction once more.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Rookie

Zeekesimo's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't think they would take the risk trying to real in the casual gamers. Too high of a risk to lose thousands of faithful sim players to MAYBE pull in a few hundred casual gamers. I think if they have their casual gamers with Madden Arcade.

I wouldn't worry about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »