Home

What Would Help You Play Offline Franchise Mode Longer?

This is a discussion on What Would Help You Play Offline Franchise Mode Longer? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: What Would Help You Play Offline Franchise Mode Longer?

As long as online franchise is available... I'd never touch offline franchise ever in the future unless the internet explodes.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

If it were up to me, they would scrap potential. The argument seems to be for hiding potential but I know if my defensive end who gets 15 sacks doesn't progress, he might as well be traded for someone who will.

The last gen systems may have had some over inflated performance based progression, but the concept is valid. Everyone says, "feeding your 70 overall back thirty carries a game should not progress him!" I still think that's better than having your 70 overall back progress on the bench because an A was next to his name, whether the user can see it or not.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleIt5
Team tendencies matter, no more of the almost identical play calling no matter the team (I know coaching sliders help this but it's not enough).

Have teams draft and sign players according to tendencies. Revamp the system entirely so teams make logical decisions, don't have the Titans take a RB in the 1st, or the Packers take a QB in the first (the Raiders of course could keep making poor 1st round decisions). Obviously there are exceptions, like Rodgers being drafted by the Packers, a lot of people thought they should have taken someone else.
in madden, i think they need to have progressive coaching that determines coaching sliders...and that should be based off the team personnel. if u have 2 shutdown corners then the defense should be aggressive w/ blitzes. Good QB/Sub-par RB, then pretty much a passing offense. of course, every position on the team should be looked at. interesting things could occur, poor pass blocking line w/ good QB...great run blocking line w/ sub-par RB

this could also help out with the drafts, teams would know exactly what they need to work on.

But the biggest problem with the draft is the number of skilled positions. There is always a Top-5 QB or RB. Also overalls are way too high coming in. If you look at the rookie database made with the top rookies, you will see there are a lot of 80+ overall rookies. I think NBA 2k does a good job with their rookie ratings, but almost every rating means something in their games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #12
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHeffalump
If it were up to me, they would scrap potential. The argument seems to be for hiding potential but I know if my defensive end who gets 15 sacks doesn't progress, he might as well be traded for someone who will.

The last gen systems may have had some over inflated performance based progression, but the concept is valid. Everyone says, "feeding your 70 overall back thirty carries a game should not progress him!" I still think that's better than having your 70 overall back progress on the bench because an A was next to his name, whether the user can see it or not.
Agreed. There are many different opinions on the way progression should work, but I look at it this way: if a 70 overall HB in Madden '08 (Matt Forte? LeRon McClain? Michael Turner?) ends up having a breakout season in 2008 (real life), you can bet he'll have a much higher rating when Madden '09 comes out next year. Same deal with the roster updates and the constantly changing ratings between each update. That alone makes a pretty decent argument for performance and game-time experience at least having SOME accountability in player progression.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 14

#1 The ability to change teams without starting a new franchise!

I always consider myself to be the head coach of whatever team I take over. Once I develop them into a champion (or fail to), it gets boring running the same team after a few years. It would be nice to have the ability of switching teams at that point and start over at rebuidling a new team ... just like coaches do in the real NFL!

IE: Shanahan, Parcells, Phillips, Turner, etc, etc ... numerous coaches leave one team only to re-surface with another NFL team. In Madden we are forced to completely restart a new franchise to take over a new team which eliminates all progress from previous franchise ... just not as much fun from a draft/off-season perspective.

#2 The ability to create a new stadium or modify existing one without moving a team. I'd love to be able to turn a team like the lions or Vikings back into an outdoor team like they were in their glory days.

#3 Get "formation subs" out of the in-game play calling screen!!! This should be something that can be accomplished outside of the game, much like depth chart adjustments.

Last edited by Steeler99; 02-04-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
Banned

foolish813's Arena

OVR: 7

To start off, the past 2 years have been the least i've ever played franchise mode. Here you will find somethings old and new. OK now to my points!

1- The ability to switch teams. I used to love to build a power house, leave and build another to eventually challenge them.

2- The ability to create alternate uniforms without moving my team.

3- One or two legendary prone rookies who seem to play forever, and degrade slowly, ala Farve.

4- PLay creator and editor.

5- Create a package. This was boss!

6- Formation subs outside of an ongoing game.

7- Practice with my franchise team.

8- Weekly keys to victory.

9- Tony Bruno. This helped to tell a story.

10- BOUNTY!! Before each game let us put a bounty on 1 player from the oppossing team. During the game all of your players will try to hit stick that player more often than not. This creates that "beat up Farve effect". Maybe you could also choose "strip ball" instead of hitstick for that player. Maybe this pays off, maybe not
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
10- BOUNTY!! Before each game let us put a bounty on 1 player from the oppossing team. During the game all of your players will try to hit stick that player more often than not. This creates that "beat up Farve effect". Maybe you could also choose "strip ball" instead of hitstick for that player. Maybe this pays off, maybe not
Although this is technically illegal in the NFL, every team does it. Great idea.

Quote:
The ability to change teams without starting a new franchise!
This to me should be a no brainer, taking it out was as pointless a removal as in game saves.

Quote:
I think they need to blend the two somehow. I read on here someone using the example of Cedric Benson and how he progressed in real life. High 1st round pick who everyone thinks will be great (say 79 OVR). He doesn't live up to expectations for a few years and declines (say 70 OVR). Then somehow a light goes off and he jumps huge (say to 88 OVR). Potential shouldn't be just a single letter grade for an entire career. It should somehow be set, like for Benson, year 1 C, year 2 C, year 3 C, year 4 C, year 5 A. All in all it can't just be linear, although I do think Madden 10 has a good start in combining both potential and production based progression.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12

I think that they should use a hidden progression system and keep the draft classes like they are with the big name players.

However, make it so say Jack English has a 60% chance to be an A player, a 20% chance to be a B, 10% C player, 5% D player, 5% F Player. They could make it so that certain positions have different percentages. Like if I draft an offensive/defensive lineman with my top 5 pick he has more chance of being an A/B than if I draft a QB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »