Home

4-3 Differences ?

This is a discussion on 4-3 Differences ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
MVP

mburke2's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 4-3 Differences ?

The 4-3 playbooks are very very bland and don't offer much variety from one another at all. If your looking for variety from a defensive playcalling standpoint, the 4-3 is probably not the way to go since I'd be willing to bet you'd be bored with that playbook by game 4 or 5. I would suggest if you haven't already tried this to switch up using different 3-4 playbooks since from my experience the variety within 3-4 defenses is pretty good.

Btw RavensFan2k3 the 3-4 package your referring to where the OLB has his hand on the ground is called the Predator and in addition to the Pats and Jets playbooks, the Cardinals, Ravens, and Cowboys all use that formation.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11

I'm a user of the 4-3 and I have done allot of research around the league to try and find a good one. Considering you have a team that is stacked almost perfectly (as far as the front 7 are concerned) with the Steelers I would recommend switching to maybe the Jets playbook that has a good combination of 3-4 and 4-3 plays. I have used the Jets playbook but I run into the problem that I am not necessarily staffed right with the Bears. The big thing you got to consider is if your playing against mostly people or CPU. The CPU blocks way better than human players and your better off sticking with a 3-4 in my opinion but if your going against allot of people then a Multi-D or a 4-3 I think work just fine because all the blocking is toned down so blitzing starts to work. It's whatever you like man, you could pull off a 4-3 by switching Harrison or your other OLB (his name escapes me right now) to DE and you have a young pass rushing tackle in Ziggy Hood to play alongside Casey Hampton. You got the personnel you just need to call the right plays. Hope this was helpful.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 5

From My experience most of the 4-3 playbooks have the same 4-3 formation and plays. However some of the playbooks also include additional formations like the Eagles have the 4-6 or one of my favorites is the Titans who have the 4-4 split.

I do like the Jets playbook as well but it is based on the 3-4. I also enjoy using the Multi-D book which gives you a 4-3 base, 3 3-4 sets, a 4-6 and a few different nickel packages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 14

OK I played a couple games using the Eagles 4-3, and I agree with most of your posts ... the 3-4 is the better defense in this version of Madden. The 4-3 is just plain boring to run, and very difficult to be creative with.

I'm switching back to the 3-4, and maybe I'll try the Jets playbook and see what this Predator is all about? Either way I'll be running the 3-4 for the remainder of my M10 gaming.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

There is no comparison between 4-3 and 3-4. 3-4 is supreme in this game. In the game even your burly DE's get to the quarteback (granted we all know that in real life a 3-4 DE are generally speaking a two-gap player, therefore clearing more space for the rushers). Also there is not much variety in the 4-3 scheme. It is basically your four down-line man rush with the occasional blitz. I find that the nickel in the 3-4 is just as effective (against the pass).

I love talking X's and O's, but this game doesn't translate those differences between and 3-4 and a 4-3.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlneste
There is no comparison between 4-3 and 3-4. 3-4 is supreme in this game. In the game even your burly DE's get to the quarteback (granted we all know that in real life a 3-4 DE are generally speaking a two-gap player, therefore clearing more space for the rushers). Also there is not much variety in the 4-3 scheme. It is basically your four down-line man rush with the occasional blitz. I find that the nickel in the 3-4 is just as effective (against the pass).

I love talking X's and O's, but this game doesn't translate those differences between and 3-4 and a 4-3.
Your right about the big DE's getting sacks in M10, not realistic, but ends up being fun I guess. I'm thinking for a variety I'm going to draft three "very" big D-lineman for my next chise and see how that works in the 3-4. Essentially draft all DT's with 90+ strength and use them as the three down lineman. It will hurt speed-wise, but I have found that the big strong guys break thru the O-line quicker than the smaller fast guys? Certainly not what we see in the NFL, but hey, we have to play with what Madden gives us!

I won't be able to do it in one draft but I'm thinking three monsters in the size range of 6'4" +, and 325 lbs+ .... then put some nice speedy LB's behind them. Again, not exactly what they do in the NFL (3-4 DE's are typically closer to 280-300 lbs), but might work well in Madden?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
Your right about the big DE's getting sacks in M10, not realistic, but ends up being fun I guess. I'm thinking for a variety I'm going to draft three "very" big D-lineman for my next chise and see how that works in the 3-4. Essentially draft all DT's with 90+ strength and use them as the three down lineman. It will hurt speed-wise, but I have found that the big strong guys break thru the O-line quicker than the smaller fast guys? Certainly not what we see in the NFL, but hey, we have to play with what Madden gives us!

I won't be able to do it in one draft but I'm thinking three monsters in the size range of 6'4" +, and 325 lbs+ .... then put some nice speedy LB's behind them. Again, not exactly what they do in the NFL (3-4 DE's are typically closer to 280-300 lbs), but might work well in Madden?
I always look for DT's in college to draft and move them to DE in my 3-4. Guys anywhere from 6'3"-6'7" and about 300-340 lbs. The best I drafted was Cameron Heyward out of Ohio State. I got him in the 4th round, he is about 6'6" 310lbs and a absolute beast, 89 strength.

In Madden 07 a traded for Albert Haynesworth and moved him to DE in my scheme and he was unblockable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Banned

So other than having an OLB with his hand on the ground, does the "Predator" formation really make much of a difference over the more traditional 3-4 formations? Any better pass rush?

The one formation that's missing from the Jets play book that I really like for short to medium yardage passing downs is the Nickle 2-4-5. I've had a lot of good luck using the 2-4-5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »