Home

The Main Problem with QB's in Madden

This is a discussion on The Main Problem with QB's in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Go Titans..

OVR: 34
Re: The Main Problem with QB's in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
Multiplayer offline this wouldn't work, you'd have to use traditional. No big deal.

Multiplayer online, the opponents don't need to share what they are looking at.

I also believe we are due to play defence from the defensive side of the ball.

Am I the only one tired of the concept that as a LB you can see the backfield in plain view? It's utterly absurd and makes it far to easy to hit the gaps when stopping the run or reading PA.
Couldn't you just change the camera view for each player online? Like if you were playing Vs someone that was using Painter (Colts Backup) the camera angle would be regular for you, but the angle would be different for the user of Painter. Shouldn't be hard with the technology we have to day, but I doubt EA even consider this idea.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I think I was on par with the best passers in APF2K8, with regards to reading coverage and passing. I've played enough games now in Madden that I should have figured it out if I were going to figure it out. Right now the accuracy ratings have more control over the location of the throw than I do, and you're going to have a hard time convincing me other wise without some step by step walk throughs and explanations. Hitting the practice field ain't gonna cut it.
You don't use the left stick to put the ball where you want?

I feel like you are pulling my leg here....you can't be serious?

As soon as your right thumb makes contact with the button you move the LS to where you want the ball to go. You've never heard of this or used it?

So as an example if your right side WR was running a post and the coverage is soft, you could throw hard and move the LS to the bottom left so the throw is low and inside?

You would just throw it with a push of the button and that's it?

Sorry to say but if you haven't clued into this you are an average passer at best because you are missing out on what you could actually be doing.

I'll try and find you a video because I don't have any recording software.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Banned

here's a couple threads of people talking about it, i'm not making this up...

http://www.themaddenlab.com/communit...lead-pass.html

http://maddengurus.com/forums/archiv...p/t-59346.html

don't tell me the practice field won't cut it when you aren't even aware this is in the game. hit up practice, send a guy on a seam and run it 4 straight times.

try left, right, up and down on the LS when throwing. look at the differences. then you'll clue in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by killgod
You don't use the left stick to put the ball where you want?

I feel like you are pulling my leg here....you can't be serious?

As soon as your right thumb makes contact with the button you move the LS to where you want the ball to go. You've never heard of this or used it?

So as an example if your right side WR was running a post and the coverage is soft, you could throw hard and move the LS to the bottom left so the throw is low and inside?

You would just throw it with a push of the button and that's it?

Sorry to say but if you haven't clued into this you are an average passer at best because you are missing out on what you could actually be doing.

I'll try and find you a video because I don't have any recording software.
lol Half of passing is reading coverages, the other half is throwing the ball. Pop in APF2K8 sometime and I'll show you an average passer. Please note that it'll be on your side of the TV.

What you described was called Max Passing in APF2K8, I don't know what they call it in Madden. In APF2K8 you have to turn this on (enable/disable Max Passing), but you're saying this is on by default in Madden? If so, that might explain some of the problems I have been seeing. Ok, you win, I'll try it in practice and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
lol Half of passing is reading coverages, the other half is throwing the ball. Pop in APF2K8 sometime and I'll show you an average passer. Please note that it'll be on your side of the TV.

What you described was called Max Passing in APF2K8, I don't know what they call it in Madden. In APF2K8 you have to turn this on (enable/disable Max Passing), but you're saying this is on by default in Madden? If so, that might explain some of the problems I have been seeing. Ok, you win, I'll try it in practice and see what happens.
Played plenty of 2k8.

It's not an option in Madden, it's in the game whether you choose to use it or not!

You'll have moments in plays where if you would throw it without using the LS, it would be INT or at the very least knocked down...but with the right placement a very catchable ball.

If there's one thing I'm great at in Madden it's passing the ball. Can't run worth a lick and play some alright D, but my passing offence is pretty nasty cause there's no spot on the field I won't hurt you.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I guess I'm not skilled (and I won't argue that I am) because I can't throw with Josh Johnson like I can Peyton Manning (I used him once just to see what an awesome QB was like - Geez, I couldn't throw an incompletion if I wanted to, unless pressured heavily!

Heck, I'm consistently better with Flacco (who's not elite) than Johnson or Pat White, or whoever John Parker Wilson or Tom Brandstater (or something like that) is (Johnson's back ups).

As far as the idea, that would be interesting...if implemented well. Also, sure it's more "sim" to have to turn your head to throw - but real QBs don't need to use controllers either. They just snap their heads and fling the ball.

Would we be able to turn our QB's virtual head that fast and with control? How would you seperate QBs that aren't elite (say average from crap - what camera angle would the average QBs have?) Would the camera view allow for a good prespective of the game play or would it be hard to see anything with depth downfield? (Yeah, I get it's harder in real life, but if I could do that in real life - I would be an NFL QB - plus real life isn't 2-D )

It's an interesting idea, and I'd try it - not sure I trust EA to do it right, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
Pro

OVR: 9

yeah this is just another version of the qb vision cone. which in theory, i was a huge fan of. in practice... still undecided. a couple of my friends loved that thing tho.

#GoPackGo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 5

I still don't understand why QB vision was completely eliminated from the game when they had already made it optional. It gave you the ability to look off safeties and really get the feeling that you were under center. Sure, it was hard, but passing in the NFL should be hard and it could be turned off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »