Home

is ea going to use the current engine they have used for the past 4 years in 2011?

This is a discussion on is ea going to use the current engine they have used for the past 4 years in 2011? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 3
is ea going to use the current engine they have used for the past 4 years in 2011?

i think they need to use a new engine in order to fix the suction blocking and morphing issues am i right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: is ea going to use the current engine they have used for the past 4 years in 2011

Unless Ian are any other crew says anything different. Then yes the current engine is going to be used in this year madden11. I could be wrong. But for now all I know is yes they will use the same old engine.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:12 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: is ea going to use the current engine they have used for the past 4 years in 2011

i am not a huge fan of having animations take control of my players it seems that the current engine is animation based and it takes away a lot of control from the user. i notice this most in the run game. one of the most fun things about being a running back is being able to recognize holes and maneuver through them accordingly but with the current madden engine this just does not have that fluid running back back feeling that i crave.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

The best they can do with suction blocking is reduce it. Madden uses a lock on system for blocking, tackling, and just about any player to player interaction. All they can do is reduce the distance one needs to get to another player to engage. There is very little difference between this system and Tecmo Super Bowl. It just has better graphics and more animations.

I really can't see them changing the engine until the next consoles arrive. It took them several years with this engine just to come to what we have now. The problem is that they have to release a game every year, slowing down the change process. Not only do they have to make the game playable each year, but patch it too.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

This is Madden's biggest problem.

It's like building a skyscraper on a weak foundation. How many stories do you have to build to realize you've made a fatal mistake? Eventually, you're going to have to demolish the skyscraper and build a solid foundation - otherwise you're going to have a pretty ****ty skyscraper.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Having gone back and played 07 on PS2 and 04 on NGC, I have to ask... isn't this the same "engin" we have seen for almost a decade? With minor changes here and there and upgrade graphically, 04 still plays a lot the same as 09 did. jsut add the aditional tweeking over the years to player momentum, etc.

I don't want to get in trouble for posting a video here, but you can find some 04 footage I post a while back here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4syICr8u83A

I mean, add in some new animations and polish the charcter models, and aren't we just looking at the same game/logic/interactions?

Last edited by PGaither84; 02-13-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Having gone back and played 07 on PS2 and 04 on NGC, I have to ask... isn't this the same "engin" we have seen for almost a decade? With minor changes here and there and upgrade graphically, 04 still plays a lot the same as 09 did. jsut add the aditional tweeking over the years to player momentum, etc.

I don't want to get in trouble for posting a video here, but you can find some 04 footage I post a while back here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4syICr8u83A

I mean, add in some new animations and polish the charcter models, and aren't we just looking at the same game/logic/interactions?
I have to disagree with you there man. I checked out some videos of Madden 07 (PS2) yesterday and just by watching the gameplay I could see a different (skeletal system if you will?) under the players. It was like you could actually see the momentum in the movement, looked like the player was really running on the ground.

There was more of a gradual turn when RBs hit the corners where as in Madden 10 there's still a turntable effect on the player movement, ya know, like they're turning on a dime and there's still a slight disconnect between the players and the ground. I get more of an ice skating feeling with the current iteration of Madden.

I remember 2k4 had that problem, it was like the players rotated on a turntable with no shift in momentum. That is what turned me off when I tried out 2k4. 2k5 upgraded this (Madden already had good player momentum) and with the better presentation, thats when I switched over.

Back on topic though, lol. The underlying engines ARE probably very similar, but there's something about the player movement that is completely different. The current Maddens seem to have regressed to that old 2k4 turntable movement. Dont get me wrong, the players in 10 do footplant if you're running right and cut back completely left (complete opposite direction) but the rest of the movement is like a turntable. Needs some attention.

I'm not in the 2k or Madden camp. I enjoy both titles and I think Madden 10 is a good game. I still have to be honest though, I find myself getting very irritated when I'm playing the current versions of NCAA and Madden. I start thinking about Madden 05 AND 2k5, and the only thing that is better now are the graphics in my opinion.

I'm hoping that EA grabs up that Euphoria engine. From the looks of it, thats the next step in physics application for impact sports titles. In the meantime in between time, I'm patiently waiting for NCAA/Madden 11 to see what they're going to do with em.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm holding out hope that we'll see PhysX in Madden 11.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »