Home

Idea to Make Kicking More Rewarding in Madden 11

This is a discussion on Idea to Make Kicking More Rewarding in Madden 11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Idea to Make Kicking More Rewarding in Madden 11

It's really not that hard of a system to get down.

Pull back on the stick slowly to call for the snap (too quickly, and you might get a bad snap).

Then slam the stick up right as the kicker approaches the ball.

The angle you release the stick at determines the kick direction, how well you timed your approach determines kick accuracy, and how hard you slammed the stick determines kick power.

It's pretty much as close to mirroring the real thing as is possible on a video game controller.

And the end results were even more realistic, with no kick being a gimme (even extra points), kicks from 40-50 yards being a good challenge, and kicks from 50+ yards requiring near-perfect execution to make.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #34
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
It's really not that hard of a system to get down.

Pull back on the stick slowly to call for the snap (too quickly, and you might get a bad snap).

Then slam the stick up right as the kicker approaches the ball.

The angle you release the stick at determines the kick direction, how well you timed your approach determines kick accuracy, and how hard you slammed the stick determines kick power.
I didn't say it was impossible, it's just far more trouble than it needs to be. FG kicking ultimately boils down to one of two possible outcomes--either you made the kick or you didn't.

If you can simulate that and get realistic results with a simple meter based system (as was the case in last gen Madden/NCAA) why make things more complicated than they need to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
It's pretty much as close to mirroring the real thing as is possible on a video game controller.
Using that logic, the Wii versions of Madden are the ultimate football sim.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #35
Pro

OVR: 9

I would also be in favor of returning to the old style of kicking with the slider bar.

I think of MLB The Show vs. MLB 2K when talking about this argument.

MLB 2K tries to be all "innovative" by using the right stick to swing and doing gestures on the right-stick to make pitches. it's a cool idea on paper, but in practice, it doesnt work that well and can be exploited.

The Show just used the classic slider system for making pitches and button X to swing the bat. I guess you could criticize it for lacking innovation, but it works really well, it's really intuitive and it can't be exploited in the same.

War the old school kicking slider bar!

#GoPackGo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I didn't say it was impossible, it's just far more trouble than it needs to be. FG kicking ultimately boils down to one of two possible outcomes--either you made the kick or you didn't.

If you can simulate that and get realistic results with a simple meter based system (as was the case in last gen Madden/NCAA) why make things more complicated than they need to be?

Using that logic, the Wii versions of Madden are the ultimate football sim.
I've never seen Madden generate realistic stats with kicking. Of all the stats in Madden, kick are the most ridiculous. APF's hyper-sensitive system was a blessing, because it caused you to respect every kick and every play. You take a play off, there's a chance it'll go bad.

People still made FG's at about a 70-80% clip in league play and nailed 95%+ of their extra points. FG's over 40 were actually CHALLENGING! That's a great thing to have. When your kicker lines up for a FG over 40 in real life, there's little guarantee he'll make it. I want that represented in a video game through difficulty.

BTW, the snap was simulated in my opinion by the back pull of the R stick to start the FG attempt/punt. It seems like when I flicked it back hard I got worse snaps. Worse snaps mean kicks are harder to time. Awesome.

APF did a wonderful job in making kicking properly difficult. Where they may have screwed up is explaining that mechanic properly. Now, the mechanic was great, but most didn't devote any time into figuring it out. It took me 10 minutes in practice mode to figure out how to kick maximum range kicks.... that's not too demanding.

Again, the system is great, it's explanation maybe wasn't good enough for the casual gamer. Man, you should see the drama at the end of APF games. I remember winning a game in double overtime to preserve an undefeated season where my opponent nervously shanked 2 field goals! IT WAS AWESOME!

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 02-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I think the system in place now is fine, I'd just like to see the ratings matter more to determine if you make it or not.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Good points. I concede that "arcadish" was a poor choice of words, but I still maintain that APF's kicking system is overly difficult.

Okay, I gotcha now. But just like how NBA games are straying from meters & bars for free throws, Football games are straying from those same things for kicking. I enjoy it. I like how I can sometimes get a feel for it & just know as soon as my kicker kicks the ball that its gonna be a great or awful kick from the way I controlled the motion.

I would like Madden to make it a little more difficult & remove the meter in general & make the accuracy more sensitive.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 25

I think in 200 games (online and Off) i have missed MAYBE 8 FGS....and i would be willing to bet 2 or 3 of those were due to being Ahead late in the game.

That other game with NFL legends had/has the BEST FG system HANDS down.

If it 50 or less...AUTOMATIC!!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #40
Pro

Just tossing things around here...how would everyone feel about only being able to control the snap and the hold. The actual kicking of the ball was left up to the computer and your kicker's lifetime fg%.

Now that is about as 'sim' as things could get. The feeling of hopelessness most NFL teams feel once that kicker trots out on the field! Thoughts?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »